Search for a good .380

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
joeybcdt
Posts in topic: 1

Search for a good .380

Post by joeybcdt »

With summer coming again soon I've been real concerned about settling-in on a .380 pistol. I am not a fan of the .380 but it is the caliber I carry when I decide I'm not going to carry.

The last couple of years has been a Ruger LCP. Small...light...awesome. But I've never been comfortable with build-quality. So I've been trying to decide between a S&W Bodyguard and a Sig P238. My main carry is S&W Shield 9mm or a XDs .45acp. Mostly the Shield. I don't like the Sig because it's a different operation system than my main gun and I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about the Bodyguard.

So with all the reading I've been doing on the Sig I came to wish I could have the Sig with double action only. Damn! I have that! I bought a Colt Pony Pocketlite about 20 years ago, sent it to Scott, McDougall & Assoc, shot it once, and put it in my safe.

It's not in the safe any more. To the range first to verify function and accuracy but I think I've found my solution.

rotor

Re: Search for a good .380

Post by rotor »

I have a S&W .380 auto, laser site. Never failed to fire or extract. Absolutely no problems. Trigger pull is very heavy and takes getting used to. I like S&W products and have multiple S&W firearms. All work well. They have a new bodyguard without the laser too.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

joeybcdt wrote:With summer coming again soon I've been real concerned about settling-in on a .380 pistol. I am not a fan of the .380 but it is the caliber I carry when I decide I'm not going to carry.

The last couple of years has been a Ruger LCP. Small...light...awesome. But I've never been comfortable with build-quality. So I've been trying to decide between a S&W Bodyguard and a Sig P238. My main carry is S&W Shield 9mm or a XDs .45acp. Mostly the Shield. I don't like the Sig because it's a different operation system than my main gun and I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about the Bodyguard.

So with all the reading I've been doing on the Sig I came to wish I could have the Sig with double action only. darn! I have that! I bought a Colt Pony Pocketlite about 20 years ago, sent it to Scott, McDougall & Assoc, shot it once, and put it in my safe.

It's not in the safe any more. To the range first to verify function and accuracy but I think I've found my solution.
The S&W Bodyguard 380 is a very fine pistol with the best ergonomics of the current crop IMHO. It fits the hand well, goes bang every time, and is accurate within the limitations of a small pistol. It's also very easy to conceal in a good pocket holster. It would be my recommendation if anyone asked me.

Personally I'd go for the version without the laser. It's not needed and eliminating it brings the cost down considerably.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

"build-quality." only one comes to mind- GLOCK 42 :reddevil
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

aaangel wrote:"build-quality." only one comes to mind- GLOCK 42 :reddevil
Nice gun and reportedly reliable like all Glocks.

However, if you're going to carry something in that size, a better choice would be to step up to one of the subcompact 9mm's.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Wife carries a P238 and loves it - great size and finely crafted. It is susceptible to limp wristing and I discovered it will not feed hollow points that are flared or flattened out, Hornady Critical Duty feeds 100%. All in all, it's a great pocket gun.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

jbarn
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jbarn »

I carry the Sig P238 pretty often in the summer. A couple of weeks ago I took it to the range to be sure I am still dialed in since the weather is warming up. I shot the below in rapid 2 and 3 shot drills from the holster at 7 and 10 yards. The upper chest shots were aimed there, the head shots aimed at the head. This little gun performs incredibly well, wouldn't you agree? I pulled a few to his chin, and on the chest shots got one slightly high, but that is 100% me, not the gun.

Between 50 and 70 rounds. Didn't count.

Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Excaliber wrote:

However, if you're going to carry something in that size, a better choice would be to step up to one of the subcompact 9mm's.
I think that entirely depends on the shooter. For some, subcompacts (Glock calls the 26 a subcompact :waiting: ) just have too much recoil. Even a J frame size .38 (not an airweight) works well for some.
Texas CHL Instructor

Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

Sig P238 if you are fine with a SA pistol with a thumb safety. If not I'm quite fond of the Kahr P380. The size is great and the trigger is quite nice.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

P238 is a great gun
but the SW bodyguard is also a great gun to shoot
as others above have said, it has a longer pull, as you are truly pulling the hammer back when you pull the trigger

For pocket carry, both will work.
however for me, the preference is SW bodyguard, as it does not have an exposed hammer, which is something I dont want snagging in my pocket.

As another thought, if you don't mind the weight (and the cost!), my wife carries (sometimes) her Kimber Solo Stainless 9mm.
Width and length is really close to the SW bodyguard, and it is pocketable as well,... just a thought
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Teamless wrote:P238 is a great gun
but the SW bodyguard is also a great gun to shoot
as others above have said, it has a longer pull, as you are truly pulling the hammer back when you pull the trigger

For pocket carry, both will work.
however for me, the preference is SW bodyguard, as it does not have an exposed hammer, which is something I dont want snagging in my pocket.

As another thought, if you don't mind the weight (and the cost!), my wife carries (sometimes) her Kimber Solo Stainless 9mm.
Width and length is really close to the SW bodyguard, and it is pocketable as well,... just a thought

I LOVE the Solo. But it just crawls up and out of my hand when I shoot it.
Texas CHL Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

My .380 is a Sphinx AT-380. When I first got my CHL I picked it up at a gun show as my first carry gun.

It is a very solid, precision machined, reliable handgun. It is .380 ACP with a capacity of 10+1.

It is a bit heavier than most 380s. The grip is perfect for my hand.

A little wider than most, but it has a double stacked magazine.

IMO, this is one of the best you can buy.

This is a video [not mine]
[youtube][/youtube]
NRA Endowment Member

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

My edc is a glock 19 owb in a raven concealment holster. I wanted something smaller that I could pocket carry and got my hands on a taurus tcp .380. I know they're will be some Taurus bashers, but it has gone bang every time I've shot it with zero malfunctions. I carry it when I can't carry glock. It's a great inexpensive gun that will make sure I get home! Carry in a Desantis Nemesis.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

jbarn wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

I think that entirely depends on the shooter. For some, subcompacts (Glock calls the 26 a subcompact :waiting: ) just have too much recoil. Even a J frame size .38 (not an airweight) works well for some.
If low recoil is the driver instead of small size envelope, then I agree the .380 would be the better choice.
Excaliber

kattzoo

Post by kattzoo »

Love my Bersa Thunder. Fun to shoot, reliable, and easy to carry.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”