Sporting Clays Questions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 2

Sporting Clays Questions

Post by snatchel »

Here's a question for some of you guys that shoot skeet/trap/sporting clays often:

I run an over-under 12g with Skeet choke on top and IC in the bottom for almost everything. I've been shooting a lot of trap/skeet the last year or so, and I've found that that combination works best for me-- the skeet choke opens up quickly for the closer shots, and the IC stays tight for the longer stuff.

That said, I'm doing a sporting clays fund raiser in a week or so and am curious if I need to re-think what I'm doing. My questions are...

1. What distances should I be expecting to shoot on a sporting clays course?
2. Should I just run IC in both bbl's and call it a day?
3. Run 1 oz or 1.5 oz?
4. 7, 7.5, or 8 shot?

I understand that each course is different... and I've never shot this one before, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm just trying to get a ballpark feel for it. My plan is to run my standard Skeet/IC with 1.5oz 7 shot. I imagine if I start changing I'm just going to get confused and ruin my routine..... I'm just curious on your thoughts.
No More Signature

berettadave
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Sporting Clays Questions

Post by berettadave »

If your shooting a fundraiser, normally the targets are set on the soft side. I wouldn't worry too much about choke. I imagine your skeet/ic would work just fine. As far as shot size, I normally try to shoot 7.5's but 8's will work just fine. 7 shot is illegal unless it is steel. Most ranges limit you to shot size no larget than 7.5. You mentioned 1oz or 1.5 oz. I don't think you are using 1.5oz. That's also an illegal load for sporting clay targets. I'm guessing you meant 1 1/8oz. 1 1/8oz is the maximum payload allowed for sporting. 1oz really works well in my opinion also. Also one benefit is that 1oz normally has less recoil.

I shoot a LOT of competitive sporting clays and when I use 1 1/8oz loads, I shoot the light target loads(Rem STS @ 1145fps). When I shoot the 1oz loads, I like the Lite Handicaps @ 1290. Both are easy on the shoulder and will crush clay targets.

I shoot the above in a Blaser Supersport and recoil is not an issue.

I noticed you are in West Texas. You wouldn't be shooting in Abilene would you? I shoot there quite a bit. Just shot a tournament there last week.

Dave

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by snatchel »

berettadave wrote:If your shooting a fundraiser, normally the targets are set on the soft side. I wouldn't worry too much about choke. I imagine your skeet/ic would work just fine. As far as shot size, I normally try to shoot 7.5's but 8's will work just fine. 7 shot is illegal unless it is steel. Most ranges limit you to shot size no larget than 7.5. You mentioned 1oz or 1.5 oz. I don't think you are using 1.5oz. That's also an illegal load for sporting clay targets. I'm guessing you meant 1 1/8oz. 1 1/8oz is the maximum payload allowed for sporting. 1oz really works well in my opinion also. Also one benefit is that 1oz normally has less recoil.

I shoot a LOT of competitive sporting clays and when I use 1 1/8oz loads, I shoot the light target loads(Rem STS @ 1145fps). When I shoot the 1oz loads, I like the Lite Handicaps @ 1290.

I noticed you are in West Texas. You wouldn't be shooting in Abilene would you? I shoot there quite a bit. Just shot a tournament there last week.

Dave

Yeah, 1 1/8 oz, by bad. I have been using 7 shot steel, but I'll load up on 7.5 shot. I appreciate the feedback! And nope, I shoot in San Angelo. Let me know next time you shoot in Abilene though. If you want to shoot on the 26th, it's for the West Texas Boys Ranch Sporting Clays fundraiser-- Google it!
No More Signature

Sidro
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Sidro »

Good advice from berettadave on the fundraiser. I only shoot at one fundraiser where you change chokes often. I like Abilene Shooting Sports for sporting clays, not good at it just like to shoot it. Wife and I will be there june 28th for the 4 gun. Shot a fundraiser Saturday and IC worked all the way through.

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

Yeah, 1 1/8 oz, by bad. I have been using 7 shot steel, but I'll load up on 7.5 shot. I appreciate the feedback! And nope, I shoot in San Angelo. Let me know next time you shoot in Abilene though. If you want to shoot on the 26th, it's for the West Texas Boys Ranch Sporting Clays fundraiser-- Google it![/quote]

I've shot San Angelo quite a bit. I may try to make the Shannon Sports Med shoot that's held there this year. I won't be able to make the 26th. I'm helping with a charity shoot in La Grange that day.

San Angelo Claybird Association normally sells ammo there too. May call them and see what their prices are. They may be better than the local shops.

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

Sidro wrote:Good advice from berettadave on the fundraiser. I only shoot at one fundraiser where you change chokes often. I like Abilene Shooting Sports for sporting clays, not good at it just like to shoot it. Wife and I will be there june 28th for the 4 gun. Shot a fundraiser Saturday and IC worked all the way through.

Did you happen to shoot the Rehab shoot in Abilene weekend before last? I was there Friday and Saturday.

Dave

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

No had family obligations. Did you shoot with some of the TBH group?

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

Sidro wrote:No had family obligations. Did you shoot with some of the TBH group?

No, I didn't shoot with them but I did meet one of them. Found out later another was there that I did not get to meet. I will definitely be back there for the Bryce Kennedy Memorial shoot in August and maybe before then. May try to make the Clay Break Classic in May if I'm free.

Dave

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

berettadave wrote:
Sidro wrote:No had family obligations. Did you shoot with some of the TBH group?

No, I didn't shoot with them but I did meet one of them. Found out later another was there that I did not get to meet. I will definitely be back there for the Bryce Kennedy Memorial shoot in August and maybe before then. May try to make the Clay Break Classic in May if I'm free.

Dave
We probably will not make it till June. So if your there look for the hat in my avatar, I'll be under it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”