Looking for a small 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 2

Looking for a small 9mm

Post by asbandr »

I've currently got a Sig P238 which I love, but I'm kind of wanting a 9mm. I want something small and light enough for edc. I looked at the kimber solo today but after looking at reviews, not sure it's worth the money. But I loved the size, weight, and feel of it. Any recommendations for something comparable to the solo?
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a small 9mm

Post by Jim Beaux »

I carry a Ruger LC9 and like it a lot. I can slip it in the back pocket of my Levis or cargo shorts when making a quick trip. I carry in a pancake at 4-5 oclock and it's comfortable.

Has a long trigger that takes some getting used to.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

P938
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Chuck Bullitt

Post by Chuck Bullitt »

X2 on Sig P938. Very similar to what you already have in 9mm.

Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

Sig 938 or Kahr PM9 depending on your choice of manual of arms.

Austin83

Post by Austin83 »

S&W Shield 9mm!

JCole

Post by JCole »

Walther PPS?

karder

Post by karder »

I have both the Shield and the XDs in 9mm. They are lightweight, have very manageable recoil and acceptable capacity and accuracy. Both are very comparable and both excellent. I slightly prefer the XDs, but that is just my personal taste.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

karder wrote:I have both the Shield and the XDs in 9mm. They are lightweight, have very manageable recoil and acceptable capacity and accuracy. Both are very comparable and both excellent. I slightly prefer the XDs, but that is just my personal taste.
:iagree:

I've shot both, and both are very fine guns.

I also favor the XDs because of its smaller size.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I have (2) Taurus 709 and (1) 740 Slims in my CCW rotation. Good bang for the buck and have been dependable, reliable and conceal well IWB or OWB. I prefer the 740 for SD although the recoil is fairly stout compared to the 709's, I shoot it with greater accuracy. The only ammo I've had problems with was Federal Champions (9 and 40 FMJ)- otherwise they've all eaten whatever fed.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I usually carry my full size Sig SP2022, but when I want something smaller in 9mm, I really like to carry my SCCY CPX-2.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

S&W CS9.

Kenk

Post by Kenk »

I have owned a Kahr CM9, and now have a SIG 938. The Kahr is probably more concealable (though not by much), but is DAO and has snappy recoil and stiff spring for slide racking. The SIG feels better in my hand, noticeably softer recoil, easier slide to rack. I'm an older guy so recoil and racking are issues for me. The SIG is also more accurate for me.

I carry IWB, appendix position, using an Alessi Talon Plus holster. The SIG is carried condition 1, cocked and locked.

Ken

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I own, have shot, or have owned a number of pocket pistols. I have owned a 709 Slim, I currently own and often carry a Sig P938. I have shot the LC9, I have shot the Khar CW9 & CS9, I have shot the XDs9, I have shot the M&P9c, and I have shot the Kimber Solo. I will say the gun I was most disappointed in was the Taurus. The Khars were OK, The Kimber was OK for me, the M&P9c was a good second place, the LC9 worked as expected, I would rather not talk about the XDs (The one I shot had major issues out of the box), but the Sig P938 is what I finally settled on for a pocket 9.

My friend that owned the Kimber Solo ended up trading it to his brother who can't shoot my 938 at all but can perform surgery with the Kimber. My advice is to see if you can handle or shoot any of these guns before purchasing so you can make your decision. If you find yourself in West Texas near Gaines County let me know and you can shoot my 938 and I can arrange for you to shoot my friends 709 slim (as well as purchase it if you want as he wants to sell it).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

Pocket pistols are extremely picky. Make sure you try before you buy.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”