KSAT news article Target stores

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SAK
Posts in topic: 2

KSAT news article Target stores

Post by SAK »

Here is an article from KSAT news about MAG being turned away from a Target protest.

Note the last paragraph in the story - "While nationally Target allows guns in their stores, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission laws prohibit retailers in Texas that sell alcohol to allow armed weapons into their stores."

Wasn't aware of this...

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: KSAT news article Target stores

Post by TVGuy »

Link?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Sounds to me that someone at Target (if true) didn't know the law and understand the signage properly
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Teamless wrote:Sounds to me that someone at Target (if true) didn't know the law and understand the signage properly
Not sure what you mean? Target allows concealed carry, and open carry in some states. However, if they sell alcohol at all they cannot allow unlicensed carry in Texas. This goes for any location that sells alcohol in Texas.

Here's the link to the story http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/ne ... olicy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
SAK

Post by SAK »

I should have included a link, thanx Keith.

I posted cause I thought it was typical ignorant reporter, stating that in Texas - it is against the law to carry a weapon into an establishment (retail or bar) that sells alcohol. Period. That is way incorrect...Kieth's link has comments that were not there when I read it. Looks like there are a lot of in accuracies there also.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

"Armed weapon"?... :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

While the article is more poorly worded than I would think a professional journalist would write, the basic facts of the story are correct. Well, the facts as they apply to CHL's and others carrying in Texas.

I don't like the phrase the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission laws, but the concept they are saying is correct. It is against the law for a licensee to allow a person to carry firearms into a premise licensed for the sale of alcoholic beverages. One of the very weird conflicts in law that has come about is this one. Texas law clearly allows a person with a CHL to carry a concealed handgun into a licensed premise, like Target. It also clearly allows the unlicensed person to carry a legal long gun into the store. But, it is still illegal (Alcoholic Beverage Code sections 11.61(e) and 61.71(f)) for the person who is licensed to allow this to happen and it can cost them the license.
Steve Rothstein

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

So, it's legal for the carrier to bring a long gun into the premises but it is illegal for the licensee/store owner or operator to allow it. Is that it? Guess they are putting the burden in the licensee since they are the ones that are responsible for the premises.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:So, it's legal for the carrier to bring a long gun into the premises but it is illegal for the licensee/store owner or operator to allow it. Is that it? Guess they are putting the burden in the licensee since they are the ones that are responsible for the premises.
This is correct.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

OCT does more damage. We'll see if they move forward and put up 30.06 compliant signs.
http://www.businessinsider.com/target-a ... res-2014-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

Yeah thanks Open carry Texas for getting it this far. Hope they do not post 30.06 signs.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”