Question: Need a Reliable rifle.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Steelfire
Posts in topic: 2

Question: Need a Reliable rifle.

Post by Steelfire »

First off finally got my CHL ... only took DPS 4 months.

Anyway I'm in the market to buy a reliable rifle for when I go camping/backpacking. Please someone feel free to call me an idiot if I am way off track on this but I'm thinking more like an AR, AK, SKS type gun so I have a good reliable self defense gun and the ability to kill medium sized animals.

So here are my thoughts based on a few hours of browsing online:

I am thinking AK. Yes I loose some accuracy and style +little heavier but if I'm going camping or backpacking with it, its going to get wet, set in the mud, and lets face it generally treated like crap and I still want it to fire. Plus I get 7.62 cal so I have serious stopping power for self defense and the ability to kill medium/small size animals if I'm in a pinch for food.

The question then really becomes what kind of AK. Stamped or milled? What manufacture? It seems like every website is promoting there one brand of AK as the best. Anyone have some experience / slightly less bias thoughts?

Thanks for any help in advance ;)

bnc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question: Need a Reliable rifle.

Post by bnc »

Stamped or milled?
Doesn't really matter. Some folks will get into how a milled AK should be theoretically more accurate, but in reality the consensus is that there is no appreciable difference; both are reliable/durable (it was originally intended to be a stamped gun). Milled AKs tend to be heavier though.

What manufacture?
I would first determine a price point. If money is no object then get a custom job from Rifle Dynamics or Krebs. Below that, most agree that Arsenal rifles (Bulgarian imports) are the best; usually $1000-1400 depending on the model.

In terms of quality I would put a VEPR up against anything, but they are imported in "hunting rifle" config (10 rnd proprietary mags, traditional/thumb hole stock) and require some work to get into standard AK config and comply with 922r. Saigas are also very good riflea, but they come in as hunting rifles too. Both of these are Russian made and therefore have been banned for import by Obama, so expect supplies to dwindle and prices to jump. I wouldn't buy an AK at panic prices when there are plenty of good ones around at more normal prices.

Century Arms has been making the C39, an all US-made milled AK, and it is getting good reviews.

For a first AK I would look at a WASR 10/63 or an N-PAP (from Zastava in Serbia, aka "Yugoslavian"). Earlier WASRs got a bad rep from Century doing really sloppy conversions on them, but the latest 10/63s are said to be fine (i've never actually shot one). The N-PAP is a Serbian made gun and very good quality, but lacks a chrome lined barrel (it is CHF though, and high quality). The finish on them isn't quite as pretty as something like a VEPR, but the build quality of Zastava rifles is high, they are solid.

One consideration between these two is how much customizing you want to do to it. The N-PAP is not quite a standard AK, so it does not take standard AK furniture. Luckily there are adapters available for stocks, and the aftermarket is catching up with Yugo-specific items as they become more popular. The WASR has a chrome lined bore and takes standard AK furniture. Both rifles should be $600 or less and make a great first AK.

Also consider if you might want to use an optic. Some AKs have side rail for mounting optics, some don't. If it doesn't have a side rail you are basically looking at replacing the dust cover with one that has a picatinny rail or replacing the upper handgaurd with one that has a rail. There are a few companies out there making AR-style rails now. Personally, I like the side rail since the optic can be mounted further rear so the gun doesn't get too nose heavy, all while not replacing factory parts with aftermarket. 7.62x39 isn't much of a long range cartridge and AKs aren't precision bolt guns, so red dots and low magnifcation scopes (1-4x, 1-6x, etc) seem to be the most popular.

Check mrgunsandgear on youtube, he does a lot of AK reviews and overall makes good videos.

Some good places to get AKs are Atlantic Firearms, J&G, AIM Surplus, and Centerfire Systems.

Topic author
Steelfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Steelfire »

Thank you I will probably go for a WASR 10/63 or an N-PAP, and see if i can get a stamped to lighten the load.

In terms of price point sub 1500 is fine with me.

When I was growing up my grandfather used to bring an old SKS with him when we went camping, and it was cheap rifle that worked even through the punishment of years of backpacking. (I've seen it fall into rocks, stuck in the mud, accidentally dropped in a river...exct) I'm basically looking to for a modern day of this gun that's going to last. I don't mind spending some money but I guess I have the cheap n dirty but works mentality. I don't know if this is true for AK's though.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Get a Polish Tantal, now available in both Russian caliber. My 5.45x39 is very accurate (I guess it as accurate as any production AR). Its rd is called the "devil round" for a reason. It is devastating.
Bulgarian A74 should be nice too.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun-ps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Misfit Child

Post by Misfit Child »

Have you hiked distances with a heavy rifle? After ten miles all rifles are heavy.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Misfit Child wrote:Have you hiked distances with a heavy rifle? After ten miles all rifles are heavy.
:iagree:

Plus, unless you strap it to your pack, it will bounce and shift around becoming uncomfortable and occupying one hand at most times. The tall front sight of an AK/AR will snag on everything.

I would recommend a revolver. Something in the 4-6", .357 mag to .44 mag will do fine, short of big bear, for self-defense and can be used to take game.

If you're dead-set on a rifle I'd recommend a lever action. The Marlin 1895 stainless Guide Gun, 45-70 gets my vote but any caliber would be sufficient (outside of big bear country). Lever actions are quick handling and streamlined. They also look at home in the woods.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

It appears that you have already decided on a semi automatic, but IMO a bolt action is the most reliable rifle that you can buy. With proper training and practice, they can be used to dispatch any small to medium game that you would encounter during a camping or backpacking trip. Bolt action rifles are available in just about any caliber that you want. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Moby

Post by Moby »

I personally use an AR 10 chambered in .308.

But from the generality of your needs I would recommend a more standard AR 15.

Tons of accessories.
Reliable
Good for medium game.
Availability
Lite weight

A shotgun would be a good choice also.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

howdy

Post by howdy »

You might consider the Kel Tec Sub 2000, http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/sub-2000/rifle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It comes in 9mm and .40 S&W. It folds in half and fits in a regular briefcase so it would fit in your backpack with out a problem. It also only weighs 4lbs. I have one in 9mm with the Glock magazine. I have the Glock 30 round magazines and it shoots very well. They are hard to find but if you look you should be able to find one.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

karder

Post by karder »

I know it is not the coolest kid on the block so to speak, but a good 30-30 like the Marlin 336 makes for a mighty fine all around rifle. It totes well, handles great in brush, and will dispatch anything you are likely to encounter. These rifles have been around for a long time for good reason. Just my two cents. :tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

karder wrote:I know it is not the coolest kid on the block so to speak, but a good 30-30 like the Marlin 336 makes for a mighty fine all around rifle. It totes well, handles great in brush, and will dispatch anything you are likely to encounter. These rifles have been around for a long time for good reason. Just my two cents. :tiphat:
I agree, this would be a very good option when out hiking where you could encounter other hikers, personally I would go with a handgun. The 336 will not intimidate them the way "evil black rifles" could and will do anything you need it to do. The AK's- AR's- SKS types very well could cause some panic if tree huggers see you carrying it, plus consider the weight as others have mentioned. You need to be careful where you hike, especially Federal property as your CHL will allow you to carry a handgun concealed but most parks the long gun will be illegal. There are a lot of trade offs you will have to make though.
Salty1

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Something like the Jeff Cooper Scout rifle would also be a lighter weight easier to carry/handle alternative.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Steelfire wrote:Thank you I will probably go for a WASR 10/63 or an N-PAP, and see if i can get a stamped to lighten the load.
VZ58s aren't AKs, but they shoot 7.62x39, are more accurate and weigh about a pound less than a stamped AK.

And you can pick one up (US built) for $400 with 5 magazines from Palmetto State Armory.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”