Adjustable AR Buttplate

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
StewNTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Adjustable AR Buttplate

Post by StewNTexas »

Picked-up a new Sig Sauer AR-15 yesterday, and am having a problem fitting it to me.

What I think I need is some type of buttplate that will allow some up and down adjustment. When I try to get into a sound shooting position, the comb is too low, and if I move my head down enough to see through the sights, my shooting muffs are pushed up so far they are not effective.

Any one have this problem? If I could find an adjustable plate so I could have enough up/down adjustment to keep this from happening.

Suggestions?
Last edited by StewNTexas on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

A-R

Re: Adjustable AR Buttplate

Post by A-R »

Magpul PRS stock is full adjustable, but expensive $200+ and heavy ( intended for a precision rifle, not a run-n-gun carbine.

Magpul also sells cheek risers for their MOE & CTR line of carbine stocks

http://store.magpul.com/category/31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there are a few add-on risers available for basic M4 type adjustable stocks, used to have one that also held batteries.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Everyone of the cheek risers I have seen say that tbey interfere with the charging handle and could not be used on AR's

If someone runs across one that will not interfere with the CH and is for an AR please post it.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Use earplugs instead of muffs.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crossfire wrote:Use earplugs instead of muffs.
This. Also, the Mapul PRS stock does not interfere with the charging handle. I've had one on an AR15, and I currently have one on an AR10.......but it IS heavy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

StewNTexas wrote: if I move my head down enough to see through the sights, my shooting muffs are pushed up so far they are not effective.
Wear disposable foam earplugs. They work just as well or better than muffs if you insert them correctly, don't cause issues with stock fit and aren't as hot to wear in the summer. I use these.

RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RJGold »

I use re-usable "triple flange" ear plugs.

They provide better noise reduction than my ear muffs.

I can't remember where I got them but I have several pair. Try an industrial safety place or hardware store and find some you like.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

Question for those that use plugs vs muffs....have you used them in an indoor range? I've been having the same issue of the muff getting bumped. I'm just wondering if plugs are enough for indoors. I'm VERY protective of my hearing.
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RJGold »

Selina Kyle wrote:Question for those that use plugs vs muffs....have you used them in an indoor range? I've been having the same issue of the muff getting bumped. I'm just wondering if plugs are enough for indoors. I'm VERY protective of my hearing.
I use the plugs I mention below indoors with no issues.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Consider these: 3M Peltor Shotgunner Folding Hearing Protector, Green

They work perfectly for my AR's, and only cost about $20.00. I've used them with my Magpul and Rogers Super stock on my two AR's.

Walmart sells them.

If they don't work, Walmart is great about customers returning items, but I'll bet they'll work for you by dint of their design.

I use them now, in addition to a pair of custom ear plugs as I don't find enough protection with just muffs or plugs.

Good luck!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”