Walther polymer guns, experiences opinions.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Walther polymer guns, experiences opinions.

Post by MoJo »

My eldest grandson called me the other day about a polymer framed Walther that he and his wife had looked at. It was a 40 cal smaller model he couldn't remember the model. I know about the metal guns and the P99 can anyone fill me in on the newer models? I have told him before he buys he should try. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

karder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walther polymer guns, experiences opinions.

Post by karder »

Maybe it was the PPS? Those are awfully popular for CCW and are right on par with the offerings from Smith and Springfield. I have shot one and it is a great gun. Small, lightweight, very concealable and reliable. I considered this gun closely before I bought the XDs. If anything, the PPS felt almost too flat to me. I know that it is supposed to be flat as it is a CCW gun and that is one of its biggest selling features, but it just did not feel quite right in my hand. It is totally a personal preference thing though as I know a guy who carries the PPS and loves the ergos.

The other polymer Walther I REALLY like is the PPQ. I almost picked one up last weekend but the asking price was a bit too much. These are, in my opinion, one of the nicest pistols out right now. Great ergos, smooth shooting, nice DAO trigger. I love the grip and the way it points and it is very comfortable in my hand. This is a full-size pistol and one that is on my short list. The styling reminds me of HK, but the price is more reasonable. Definitely not a cheap gun though as the quality stacks right up there with M&P, Glock or Springfield. I have a few Walthers in my collection and they have always worked great for me. I would not hesitate to buy or carry another.

Walther has a brand new CCW offering, the CCP. I have yet to see one in person but I would love to try one out. So I guess you could say that besides the P99, I have shot the PPS and and PPQ and they seemed excellent to me.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

Howdy...
I'm the guy who bought the last Walther PPQ M2 .40 S&W at the Cedar Park gun show last Saturday !
One vendor had a 9mm .. I passed it.
The other poster says the Walther is up there on par with Springfield XD ..etc. NOT TRUE.. Better !!
Me...? I'm selling my Springys. for the better built, better quality Walther. ( In my opinion )
I do love my Springers...but.... I've found a new love ! :drool:
This weekend I will be listing for sale, my ( EDC ) Springfield XD sub compact .40 S&W and my XD Tactical .45 ACP !
Get your PPQ ... see ya' at the range ? !
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

.45mac.40 wrote:Howdy...
I'm the guy who bought the last Walther PPQ M2 .40 S&W at the Cedar Park gun show last Saturday !
The other poster says the Walther is up there on par with Springfield XD ..etc. NOT TRUE.. Better !!
Me...? I'm selling my Springys. for the better built, better quality Walther. ( In my opinion )
This weekend I will be listing for sale, my ( EDC ) Springfield XD sub compact .40 S&W and my XD Tactical .45 ACP !
Glocks are now no longer the "ungly pistol." :biggrinjester:

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

Love my PPS. It is a light and accurate pistol. I've had no problems whatsoever with mine!

harv418

Post by harv418 »

I have a PK380. It is not a bad gun. Their quality is on par with most other manufactures.

The Safety is opposite that of the 1911, i.e. thumb has to go up to turn OFF the safety, instead of pushing the safety Down. There is no Hammer stop. You can pull the trigger over and over with the safety on.

Accuracy is decent, but I definitely prefer the Springfield over the PK in this department.

The Ergonomics of the gun are definitely better, and I actually like the Mag release better than the standard button.

Overall, its a great FIRST handgun, but I would not buy another as there are much better out there.
Robert Harvey
Friendswood, TX

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

I've owned the PPS in both 9 & 40. It is a very reliable, accurate carry gun. Ergonomics were excellent, trigger was better out of the box than my experience with the current crop of XDs being sold. Recoil in 9 was about what you would expect and not really an issue for either m wife or I... in 40 it was STOUT. Definitely knew the difference between the calibers. If the pistol fits the shooter, I think it's a very good choice and would be my pick before either the XDs or Shield if for no other reason than the trigger was just better IMO. The only caveat is that the mag release is a lever built into the trigger guard. Not a deal breaker for me, but it might be for some. Definitely high on my lists of recommended CCW pistols.

The PPQ has one of the best (if not the best) triggers out of the box on any striker fired pistol. Very good ergos, very accurate and reliable. The newer M2 model also has the push button safety replacing the lever found on the M1 and PPS and is on my short list of guns to pick up in the near future.

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

I carry the PPS and my husband carries the PPQ. Both are great firearms, and we've had them for 2 years - no problems whatsoever. PPQ has a dream trigger!
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

Carlson1....!.... :tiphat: :lol:
:smilelol5: .... NOT ..!
I tried to like the Block ... but ... NOT ..!
Going to tha' range tomorrow .. Ya Hoo !
Gonna' make this PPQ M2 (.40 S&W ) my new EDC !
(( Is German PRETTIER than, Austrian ?? ... PROBABLY !! )) :biggrinjester:
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

Topic author
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

carlson1 wrote:
.45mac.40 wrote:Howdy...
Glocks are now no longer the "ungly pistol." :biggrinjester:
Amen Bro carlson1 :evil2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

philbo wrote:The only caveat is that the mag release is a lever built into the trigger guard. Not a deal breaker for me, but it might be for some.
If it's anything like the lever magazine release on an HK, I'd probably like it. I've not messed with Walther's offerings, but that lever release is one of the things I do like about HK's guns; it's sited perfectly for me to hit with the middle finger of my shooting hand while my off-hand is grabbing a new magazine, and it doesn't get whacked and released accidentally anywhere nearly as easily as a "standard" button. As a lefty who has bumped into things and unseated a magazine or two, this goes far. So, +1 for the lever release.

Of course, I'm currently wearing an XD with the standard push-button, so take my opinion for what you paid for it. :biggrinjester:

Barron76

Post by Barron76 »

Love 'em! Ive owned several of the polymer ones & wouldnt hesitate to buy more. My PPQ is one of my favorite guns in my collection & a real great deal for the price. Looking to add a PPS and also one of the new CCPs whenever they finally release them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”