I made a boo boo with my gun purchase.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
daniel2002p
Posts in topic: 4

I made a boo boo with my gun purchase.

Post by daniel2002p »

So Tuesday I bought a brand new XDS 9mm from Cabela's. In all the excitement that someone actually had this one in stock I completely forgot to check if it was the 4in or 3.3in. I wanted the 3.3 but without looking bought the 4in. CRUD!
If I find a 3.3 slide and barrel would those fit on the frame just fine? I am also taking this will be quite expensive but I figured I would ask just in case.

The only thing I can think of is trading with someone who has a 3.3 but chances are low and if course there is a no return policy on firearms. Kinda disappointed in myself since I let this happen but I saw a brand new XDS and got all excited.

If anyone here prefferes the 4in model over their 3.3 I am willing to trade as much as a long shot that it.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I made a boo boo with my gun purchase.

Post by mojo84 »

Have you tried carrying the 4 inch model yet? It may work just fine and be OK.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

daniel2002p wrote:If I find a 3.3 slide and barrel would those fit on the frame just fine? I am also taking this will be quite expensive but I figured I would ask just in case.
Be far cheaper to sell the gun you do not want and buy the gun you do want.

You may take a $40-$50 haircut on selling the gun, but you probably already took a haircut by buying at Cabelas.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Try to work with the (slightly) larger pistol. 3\4" isn't really that much. If not, then take the smaller lump of selling this one and buying the one you really want. A new barrel & slide, if they'll even work, is likely to set you back a lot more.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Blindref757 »

I might be interested in a trade! I have the short XDS9 with only about 150 rounds through it. It went to SA with the recall in March and is fully upgraded with the extended mag.

I live in Tyler...so if you'd like to meet halfway...maybe in Canton...I'd be very interested. PM me if you are interested.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Have you tried carrying the 4 inch model yet? It may work just fine and be OK.
I loved the feel of the 4inch xds! It's like a polymer CCO. It won't be any harder to conceal imo .7 in barrel length isn't much but .2 tenths in grip length is huge in some cases. I would keep it but that's me.

Topic author
daniel2002p

Post by daniel2002p »

Thanks for the info peeps! I was worried about the weight but after looking at the specs there is only a couple ounces between them. What I'm finding difficult is finding a holster since most I see are made for the 3.3. I like the single clip IWB either slim kydex or some tough fabric. Any hints?

--Dan
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Not 100 percent but a lot of the time guns like that work on open bottom kydex and i could be wrong but i dont think anything is different on the xds 4 except the last .7 in slide length. Might just hangout the bottom but don't quote me on that.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

You might want to look into Alien Gear they make a great product and have one for the gun in question.

Image :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

HankB

Post by HankB »

I've found that, within reason, the length of the barrel/slide is fairly unimportant to concealed carry . . . and that's using some sort of quality IWB holster like a Milt Sparks VM2 or Comp-Tac C-TAC.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

HankB wrote:I've found that, within reason, the length of the barrel/slide is fairly unimportant to concealed carry . . . and that's using some sort of quality IWB holster like a Milt Sparks VM2 or Comp-Tac C-TAC.
I have been carrying a full size Glock 21 lately quite a bit. It works just fine with shorts and a T-shirt as long as I can wear the belt. Of course, I normally wear loose T-shirts such as the Carhardt brand that won't print. I have several tighter fitting T-shirts that I like, but I find I don't wear them much. It is generally the big grip that wants to show the most, not the barrel/frame.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I carry Hi-Power. It is fairly easy to conceal. However, I am looking for something that is lighter. I have a good holster and decent belt but something less than two pounds sounds appealing.

I think I could make the longer XDS work very easily. Wish I was in the market. I would help you out.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Blindref757 »

Daniel and I made the switch yesterday...both happy! I was excited to find that the 4.0 fit in my DeSantis pocket holster and also fit in my AlienGear with no complications! I love the longer sight line...it is going to be a better setup for me as a right handed but left eye dominant shooter. :cheers2:

Topic author
daniel2002p

Post by daniel2002p »

Blindref757 wrote:Daniel and I made the switch yesterday...both happy! I was excited to find that the 4.0 fit in my DeSantis pocket holster and also fit in my AlienGear with no complications! I love the longer sight line...it is going to be a better setup for me as a right handed but left eye dominant shooter. :cheers2:
Thanks for meeting me out in the middle of nowhere sir, I am extremely happy with the 3.3. Took it to the range today and it performed like a champ... 400 rounds and not a single problem. The slide failed to lock back a couple times but that was due to me resting my thumb on the slide lock, so all in all the gun performed perfectly. I am 100% happy with it.

This was 10 shots from 5 yards, 30 from 7 yards and the final 10 from 10 yards. You can tell the 10 yard ones as they are the worst lol. All in all this gun is more accurate than I am so it is awesome!

JRG

Post by JRG »

Pretty good shooting mister!! :mrgreen:

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”