Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Are night sights a scam?

Post by C-dub »

Recently, I've been wondering this.

My first set of night sights were from Meprolight. Those green dots were pretty big and easy to see. My current set is from Trijicon, the HD series with the hivis orange around the front dot for better visibility during the day. I like it. The green dots on these are quite a bit smaller and not as easy to line up in the dark quickly.

Since I have been practicing more close range shooting for a SD type scenario with one and two hands, I've not been using the sights at all. I don't even bring the gun up to eye level to make the shoots. They are usually from hip to chest height. For this reason, I'm debating whether my next set of sights will be night sights at all or something that will allow quicker acquisition during the daytime.

Thoughts?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are night sights a scam?

Post by Jumping Frog »

As I recall, 70% of self defense shootings occur in low light. I prefer to give myself an edge. My carry weapons have night sights and I also have a flashlight.

In training, I have shot on a dark range with a class of about 20 people. As you recall, the Texas CHL qualification course of fire has targets at 3 yds, 7 yds, and 15 yrds.

On a dark range without night sights, the class missed the entire IDPA-style target about 75% of the time at 3 yards and 95% of the time at 7 yards. When I say "dark range", I could just see what looked like a ghostly outline of the tan target. Could not see my gun at all.

With night sights, the entire class could reliably and easily place the shots on target -- right in the breadbox.

There is a reason that the phrase taking "a shot in the dark" entered popular culture as an expression for having absolutely no idea if the idea being expressed was on target or off target. You have to actually shoot in the dark to realize how true this phrase is.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

C-dub wrote:Recently, I've been wondering this.

My first set of night sights were from Meprolight. Those green dots were pretty big and easy to see. My current set is from Trijicon, the HD series with the hivis orange around the front dot for better visibility during the day. I like it. The green dots on these are quite a bit smaller and not as easy to line up in the dark quickly.

Since I have been practicing more close range shooting for a SD type scenario with one and two hands, I've not been using the sights at all. I don't even bring the gun up to eye level to make the shoots. They are usually from hip to chest height. For this reason, I'm debating whether my next set of sights will be night sights at all or something that will allow quicker acquisition during the daytime.

Thoughts?
I appreciate them very much, I go between my glock (night sights) and my XD(M) (factory w/O), and it's been nice to have when taking 10Yrd+ shots in pitch dark when trying to make a well aimed shot, other than that, probably not. I've had to utilize my night sights several times, but I also live out in the country, where there's nothing more than porch lights. I also spotted a mountain lion with three cubs a few days ago, but most urban areas don't have to worry about hogs, coyotes, bobcats, cougars, alligators, etc.

But think about the real plus side! You'll get the extra tittle of being "the guy that has night sights". A lot of classes I went to, I was the only person with night sights for some reason. Maybe I'm just crazy too, who knows. :willynilly:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

C-dub wrote:Recently, I've been wondering this.

Thoughts?

It's best to practice in ways that work with lots, some, and almost no light and at different ranges to the point where you're sure your technique is good to go in all circumstances. Remember that performance will deteriorate significantly under life threatening stress.

If your "groups" at short range are from "hip to chest height", some of your shots in a live encounter will likely be not just off paper, but "off thug". Using sights whenever possible increases precision and reliability, and reduces the number of things that can go wrong. In real life, there are enough of those without adding unnecessary ones.

Also consider - are you practicing in good light because you have reason to believe any serious encounter you may have will occur during the day, or because that's when the range is open? Many, but not all, serious encounters occur in low light. Try practicing under those conditions and see how your technique performs. I suspect you will find that use of sights and bringing the gun to eye level are a significant help to reliable performance at those times. When light is really low, you'll likely find night sights are helpful too, although I don't consider them critical for most non LEO's.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

I keep my pistol within easy reach in a bed holster and the "night sight" rear sights are easy to spot in a dark room, making accessing it a breeze, i.e., no need to fumble around for a black gun or have to turn on a light to find it.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

To clarify, I've been practicing taking the shots with the gun held from hip to chest height. The groups on the paper have been about 4-5" groups with three rapid shots. I figure I won't always have the luxury of being able to take a properly aimed shot in a SD situation due to time and proximity.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:To clarify, I've been practicing taking the shots with the gun held from hip to chest height. The groups on the paper have been about 4-5" groups with three rapid shots. I figure I won't always have the luxury of being able to take a properly aimed shot in a SD situation due to time and proximity.
Most defensive shots will be at 7 yards or less. Most times you will not have time to take a sight picture, and the shot will have to be instinctive.

With that said, i do have night sights on my main defense guns. The reason is when I need to grab it quickly at night if rousted out of bed I can easily see where the gun is in the dark.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charlies.Contingency

Excaliber wrote:
It's best to practice in ways that work with lots, some, and almost no light and at different ranges to the point where you're sure your technique is good to go in all circumstances. Remember that performance will deteriorate significantly under life threatening stress.

If your "groups" at short range are from "hip to chest height", some of your shots in a live encounter will likely be not just off paper, but "off thug". Using sights whenever possible increases precision and reliability, and reduces the number of things that can go wrong. In real life, there are enough of those without adding unnecessary ones.

Also consider - are you practicing in good light because you have reason to believe any serious encounter you may have will occur during the day, or because that's when the range is open? Many, but not all, serious encounters occur in low light. Try practicing under those conditions and see how your technique performs. I suspect you will find that use of sights and bringing the gun to eye level are a significant help to reliable performance at those times. When light is really low, you'll likely find night sights are helpful too, although I don't consider them critical for most non LEO's.

That brings up a good point! I never shot a at night until I was in a scenario at night, and I had to shoot. I was only able to squeeze off one shot, and it was barely, and I mean barely lethal with a well aimed shot. I hit a good 12in off mark, and after that shot, I couldn't get another clear shot. Since then, I've taken the time to practice at night doing maneuvers in different situations. The scariest of which were room clearing in the dark, and in the open with multiple spaced hiding spots. All I have to say, is that I never want to work nights again.

I know it's hard to find a place where you can shoot in low light, or even in the dark, especially because of safety concerns, but it's been invaluable training for me.

Sorry if I come here with a strange and to non-Leo's, It's always the same to me.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote: With that said, i do have night sights on my main defense guns. The reason is when I need to grab it quickly at night if rousted out of bed I can easily see where the gun is in the dark.
I was waiting to see if someone mentioned this. I have shot at night and it was a huge eye opener for just how much accuracy decreased even with night sights and various light sources. IIRC, the distances were al from 3-7 yards and we could use a weapon mounted light on one stage, a hand held flash light on another, and another stage was setup with a single road flare. So, it wasn't completely black.

However, the biggest use I've seen so far for the night sights is being able to locate the gun more quickly on the night stand next to the bed in the dark.

BTW, during that night match, I did not notice any muzzle flash from my gun when shooting. There may have been some because I did notice it from others' guns when they were shooting. I just didn't notice it from mine when I was shooting.

Unicorn Rancher

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

I don't envision shooting from retention unless there are physical constraints that prevent a sight picture, but I suspect that's a product of my training, which includes FOF with red guns and sims.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Unicorn Rancher wrote:I don't envision shooting from retention ...
I don't even know how this could be done with most holsters since they cover the trigger.

Charlies.Contingency

C-dub wrote:
Unicorn Rancher wrote:I don't envision shooting from retention ...
I don't even know how this could be done with most holsters since they cover the trigger.
I think he meant more of shooting directly out of retention. Though most gun courses I've seen of late teach lift up from retention, point forward, meet your offhand in front of your chest, and finally away from the body.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I carry with TLR-2 HL (600 Lumens) and my home pistol has the older TLR-2 (250 lumens?)
See what you shoot and for shooting behind cover or from the hip, use the red laser.

In addition, both pistols have charge-me night sights. the HK's Factory night sights on my P30 are sweet, will go bright when charged for like 30sec or so.
Last edited by Beiruty on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote:I carry with TLR-2 HL (600 Lumens) and my home pistol has the older TLR-2 (250 lumens?)
See what you shoot and for shooting behind cover or from the hip, use the red laser.
The laser is an interesting tactic when shooting like this. I have tried a rail mounted laser before and didn't like it, but that was from a regular stance with arms extended. I've always liked, but never tried, the guide rod replacement with the laser in there. For shooting, when a traditional stance and aim cannot be taken, that might be helpful.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

That brings up a good point! I never shot a at night until I was in a scenario at night, and I had to shoot. I was only able to squeeze off one shot, and it was barely, and I mean barely lethal with a well aimed shot. I hit a good 12in off mark, and after that shot, I couldn't get another clear shot. Since then, I've taken the time to practice at night doing maneuvers in different situations. The scariest of which were room clearing in the dark, and in the open with multiple spaced hiding spots. All I have to say, is that I never want to work nights again.

I know it's hard to find a place where you can shoot in low light, or even in the dark, especially because of safety concerns, but it's been invaluable training for me.

Sorry if I come here with a strange and to non-Leo's, It's always the same to me.
You can learn a lot about low light shooting by using airsoft guns. They eliminate a lot of the issues with where you can train.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”