I STOPPED A ROBBERY LAST NIGHT

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Javier730
Posts in topic: 12

I STOPPED A ROBBERY LAST NIGHT

Post by Javier730 »

Last night my wife, son and I went out a little later than usual to get some sandwiches at Subway. I waited outside with my son and my wife went in to order. I was parked right in front of the store like I always do so I could keep an eye out on my wife. My son was on my phone playing fruit ninja and he asked me to check out his new high score. When I put my attention back on my wife, I noticed she looked really frightened and was walking toward the door, no subs in hand. I told my son to stay in the truck because something was wrong with mom and I had to get to her. As soon as I got to the door I noticed a hispanic man with a blue bandana covering the lower half of his face. My wife quickly said to me that he threatened to shoot tha cashier if she didnt hand over the cash. I quickly drew my Glock 23 and stepped inside and pointed at the bad guy. He had his hand in his sweater pocket and had what appeared to be a pistol. I yelled at him to get on the ground. He quickly put his hands up and went to the ground. He kept moving around and I yelled at him to stop moving. I may have used a little profanity. While on the ground he asked if I was a cop. For some reason I said "NO BUT IF YOU MOVED I WILL SHOOT YOU!" He slowly stood up. At this point he was about 8-10 feet away. He took a step towards me. I yelled, "GET BACK!" and he kind of jumped a little but didnt step back.I yelled, 'GET BACK OR I WILL SHOOT YOU". Again, I may have been a little vulgar. He quickly complied took about 3 steps back and begged for me not to shoot him. He started stumbling towards the back of the store looking for another exit. He could not seem to get out so he came toward the entrance where I was standing. He paused about 15-20 feet away. (This subway is a little larger than others I have been to.) At this point there was a few frightend customers and employees behind him so I took a few steps to my right so they would not be directly behind him if for so reason I had to fire. The people behind him were moving around real frantically. I knew they might be hit if I fired. I yelled to him, "JUST GO!". He quickly stumbled towards the door and ran away. I stepped outside and my wife was in our truck holding my son and on the phone with 911. I was prepared to be thrown to the ground or held at gun point. SAPD arrived, disarmed me and began asking about the vermins description. They were very professional. I never even saw him walk in even though I was parked right in front of the store. I am very vigilant but I let my guard down for a few seconds and he went in without me noticing. I feel bad that I told him to leave but I was thinking about everyones safety. He was very fortunate that he did not take another step toward me when he stood up. I was literally beginning to squeeze my trigger when that happened but released my finger when he stumbled back and begged for his worthless life. I still cant believe this happened to me. Heres some links to the story.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 885214.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/ne ... urant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Javier730 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

McKnife
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I STOPPED A ROBBERY LAST NIGHT

Post by McKnife »

Good job. It's too bad that punk hasn't been caught. You have much more restraint than I, but no one was harmed and that's all that really matters. Thanks for your service to the community. :cheers2:
:coolgleamA:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

wow! just, wow!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Good on you. Well done.
Glad you and your loved ones are safe.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

Good job and good restraint in not unloading on the guy.

Only asking, and can't swear I'd do anything different, did your wife have something to cover herself with if the guy had had an associate waiting outside? Like a getaway driver?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Good job. When I saw the story, I was wondering if it was a member on here. Glad to see you are and that it worked out.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Nice work. You handled yourself well. Your wife did well too by exiting in a hurry. We are glad it all turned out ok. Yes it would be nice to have the bad guy in custody but maybe he learned a lesson.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

I saw the story yesterday and thought "why did you let him go?" The way the media reported it didn't make sense. Now it does. Good job sir! :tiphat:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

I'd have the next round on me i I were in town, good job. You had the sense to put everybody else first, and you protected those in the store, You did the right thing in my eyes, because it's not about catching the bad guy, that's the job for the guys in uniform. :cheers2:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Javier730,

I admire your consideration for the innocent bystanders.

Not everyone would be so steadfast in their thinking under such circumstances.

Great job!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

Great job. You made sure no one got hurt and there will not have to be any legal quesitons on justification of a shooting. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Nice job! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Wowser. Good job.

And interesting to compare the first-hand account to the news accounts.

Best wishes!
USAF 1982-2005

ripnbst

Post by ripnbst »

Instead of telling him to go you could have told the workers to get back in the kitchen (AND MAKE ME A SAMMICH!). That would have taken them out of harms way and kept the guy in there. They would be more likely to comply than the BG.

Hind sight is 20/20 and you still did a good job nonetheless. May have been the "lead to jesus" moment he needed, but I doubt it.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Hindsight is 20/20. In hindsight, I'd say you handled it perfectly! Well played.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”