Wilson Combat upgrade

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Lucky Luke
Posts in topic: 2

Wilson Combat upgrade

Post by Lucky Luke »

Would you upgrade your new Kimber with Wilson Combat parts? Like, hammer, sear, trigger, springs?
Life time NRA

JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Wilson Combat upgrade

Post by JSThane »

Would you upgrade your new Kimber with Wilson Combat parts? Like, hammer, sear, trigger, springs?
Not unless there was some issue or problem with them. Keep in mind that new parts are likely going to require careful fitting, especially things like the sear and hammer. Out of the box, the Wilson Combat parts might not even work properly, or at all. I fitted an ambidextrous safety to a 1911 several years ago, doing the work myself. It took a couple hours of very careful fitting and polishing, as the Wilson safety was deliberately oversized on the internal lug, to allow for such fitting. Springs are an easier matter to change out; just make sure you've got the right weight for the ammo you're using if you mess with the recoil spring. I wouldn't mess with the sear spring or the hammer spring; unless they break, there's no reason to swap them out.

Unless you are trying to lighten the trigger, provide a customization toward a specific purpose (like my ambi safety), or are experiencing some part-related failure, I would actually recommend -against- replacing internal parts. I "got away" with kludging it together myself, but it's really the job of a competent gunsmith to fit these things, as you're working with some very small bearing surfaces on the sear and hammer hooks, surfaces that require precise angles for proper function. "Getting it wrong" can go -very- wrong indeed, resulting in everything from a gun that won't fire to a gun that will go off if bumped the wrong way.

People like to badmouth the metal-injection molded parts (MIM parts), but unless you mess with them, they serve quite well. People also like to "customize" their guns, and this keeps gunsmiths in business fixing it.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

JSThane wrote:People also like to "customize" their guns, and this keeps gunsmiths in business fixing it.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
So true. Bubba gunsmithing often results in real gunsmith revenue.

Before asking about upgrading, the first question to ask is, "What problem am I trying to solve"?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

JSThane wrote:
Not unless there was some issue or problem with them. Keep in mind that new parts are likely going to require careful fitting, especially things like the sear and hammer. Out of the box, the Wilson Combat parts might not even work properly, or at all. I fitted an ambidextrous safety to a 1911 several years ago, doing the work myself. It took a couple hours of very careful fitting and polishing, as the Wilson safety was deliberately oversized on the internal lug, to allow for such fitting. Springs are an easier matter to change out; just make sure you've got the right weight for the ammo you're using if you mess with the recoil spring. I wouldn't mess with the sear spring or the hammer spring; unless they break, there's no reason to swap them out.

Unless you are trying to lighten the trigger, provide a customization toward a specific purpose (like my ambi safety), or are experiencing some part-related failure, I would actually recommend -against- replacing internal parts. I "got away" with kludging it together myself, but it's really the job of a competent gunsmith to fit these things, as you're working with some very small bearing surfaces on the sear and hammer hooks, surfaces that require precise angles for proper function. "Getting it wrong" can go -very- wrong indeed, resulting in everything from a gun that won't fire to a gun that will go off if bumped the wrong way.

People like to badmouth the metal-injection molded parts (MIM parts), but unless you mess with them, they serve quite well. People also like to "customize" their guns, and this keeps gunsmiths in business fixing it.
Reading this makes me think I wouldn't want to own a 1911. This makes it sound like "1911 parts" are not interchangeable, perhaps even unsafe. I don't own one, kind of wanted to get one, but now I am not so sure. I want to shoot and enjoy, not become a gunsmith via OJT. Thoughts?

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

No
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

gljjt wrote:Reading this makes me think I wouldn't want to own a 1911. This makes it sound like "1911 parts" are not interchangeable, perhaps even unsafe. I don't own one, kind of wanted to get one, but now I am not so sure. I want to shoot and enjoy, not become a gunsmith via OJT. Thoughts?
They're not unsafe unless someone makes them that way.

The 1911 has been incrementally changed from JMB's original design. As designed, you could detail strip 100 pistols, scramble the parts, and reassemble 100 safe and reliable pistols with very good "combat accuracy".

With the quest for precision (although precious few can truly take advantage of it), has come the practice of making many parts slightly over-sized so they can be hand fitted to more precise tolerances. Today, even entry-level 1911s use hand fitted parts, particularly in the fire control group.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Pawpaw wrote:
gljjt wrote:Reading this makes me think I wouldn't want to own a 1911. This makes it sound like "1911 parts" are not interchangeable, perhaps even unsafe. I don't own one, kind of wanted to get one, but now I am not so sure. I want to shoot and enjoy, not become a gunsmith via OJT. Thoughts?

The 1911 has been incrementally changed from JMB's original design. As designed, you could detail strip 100 pistols, scramble the parts, and reassemble 100 safe and reliable pistols with very good "combat accuracy".

With the quest for precision (although precious few can truly take advantage of it), has come the practice of making many parts slightly over-sized so they can be hand fitted to more precise tolerances. Today, even entry-level 1911s use hand fitted parts, particularly in the fire control group.
Thanks. I know they are safe "stock out the door", but if tinkering around with parts that require "hand fitting" could potentially make them unsafe (I don't see how), that would not be good. This is what the OP stated as far as safety. Sounds like they are "almost/mostly" interchangeable as far are internal parts go. I would still like to have one, but wouldn't use it for CC. I like my 9mm Glocks.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

gljjt wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

Thanks. I know they are safe "stock out the door", but if tinkering around with parts that require "hand fitting" could potentially make them unsafe (I don't see how), that would not be good. This is what the OP stated as far as safety. Sounds like they are "almost/mostly" interchangeable as far are internal parts go. I would still like to have one, but wouldn't use it for CC. I like my 9mm Glocks.
Lots of people use them for concealed carry. They can be good, reliable guns. The only issue I can think of is you might need to more frequently clean and lube the pistol over something like a Glock.

IMO, ANY pistol or firearm can be made unsafe if someone decides to fiddle with key parts and such trying to make it better.

JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JSThane »

gljjt wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

If you round the edges on the sear while fitting it, or get the angle of the sear and the hammer hooks wrong, the sear can trip unintentionally, among other things.

The point is not that this is a failing of the 1911, because it isn't. The point is that, like a muscle car, you can "fine-tune" a 1911 to your precise requirements, but it's not as easy as working on a tractor, and you can damage it more easily if you don't know what you're doing. If you don't tinker with Ford's design, a Mustang will still run quite well, and be rather reliable, but if you attempt to supercharge it yourself without knowing what you're doing, you can break it. It's like that.

Oh, and yes, you can make a Glock choke and fail. I've had two that liked to jam on me, and they weren't modified in any way.

Topic author
Lucky Luke

Post by Lucky Luke »

JSThane wrote:

Thank you for the "educated" thought and not smoking me for carrying a 1911. Well, there's nothing wrong with my NEW Kimber. I guess I'm like the guy who REALLY loves to own a H1 Hummer but can't pay for one and goes and buys a H3!!!! So, that's how my story of "upgrading" started!
Life time NRA

patterson

Post by patterson »

There is nothing wrong with carrying a 1911 and I do myself sometimes

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Yes, if Kimber is still supplying MIM garbage in their trigger groups.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

patterson

Post by patterson »

Don't know about Kimber but haven't had any issues with MIM parts on my Ruger

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

The only change that I would personally make to a Kimber is to change the safety to the low profile one sold by Gunsite. I have this on mine and really like the fact that it sits lower and I can keep my thumb on it when in the fire mode, just a very natural grip for me. If you put money into the Kimber with Wilson parts it is still a Kimber and I doubt if you sold it down the road you would get your money back. If it makes you happy go for it as that is really what counts......
Salty1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”