Do you leave loaded firearms unattended?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

How do you feel about leaving loaded guns unattended?

Okay if locked in a safe/lock box
20%
Okay if well hidden or at night
5%
Okay if you don't have small kids in the home
65%
Okay in any situation
4%
Never okay
6%

Total votes: 103

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Do you leave loaded firearms unattended?

Post by DoubleJ » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:40 pm

My situation has changed considerably over the years, and now, if it's not on my hip, it's in the bedside safe. Only one not in a safe (and I have a couple) is my competition gun, which resides in the range bag with the rest of my gear.

You see, my wife, although loving, is quite uncomfortable with guns, and as such, feels much better when they are secured in some way. It's been a long journey here, and she no longer frets when I carry, so I call that "progress!" Perhaps one day she'll even be comfortable going to the range, but at present she's not terribly keen on it.

The point being, when at home, it's in the safe (or on my hip).
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

sbrawley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sbrawley » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:36 pm

DoubleJ wrote:My situation has changed considerably over the years, and now, if it's not on my hip, it's in the bedside safe. Only one not in a safe (and I have a couple) is my competition gun, which resides in the range bag with the rest of my gear.

You see, my wife, although loving, is quite uncomfortable with guns, and as such, feels much better when they are secured in some way. It's been a long journey here, and she no longer frets when I carry, so I call that "progress!" Perhaps one day she'll even be comfortable going to the range, but at present she's not terribly keen on it.

The point being, when at home, it's in the safe (or on my hip).
My wife was also very uncomfortable with guns to the point that she was adamant with not having guns in the house. Jump forward to 2010 and I FINALLY convinced to her into letting me get one and it was required to be locked in a safe, take it i had to get employed with the sheriffs office. Then I got my CHL and she adjusted to me carrying fairly quickly. I think it was more of an "out if sight, out of mind" thing. Not too long ago she purchased her very own gun and allowed me to build my first rifle. I even caught a comment she made to her grandmother on FB that made me extremely proud
Thelma - Grams, I was too, and still have some lingering fear, but the more I use it and learn the less fear I have. I guess you could say it's more of a respect for them now.
Just give your wife time to adjust and watch how you handle your gun and she too will eventually come around
You've never met America, and you ought to pray you never do -Charlie Daniels
NRA Life Member

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DoubleJ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:53 pm

:hurry: :thumbs2:

:fire
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:14 pm

I have weapons placed strategically throughout the house, some visible and some not. It is just my self, wife and daughter and all have chl and know the locations.
However, we do put most in the safe when grandkids come over even though they know the safety rules and frequently go shooting with us.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”