Do you leave loaded firearms unattended?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

How do you feel about leaving loaded guns unattended?

Okay if locked in a safe/lock box
20%
Okay if well hidden or at night
5%
Okay if you don't have small kids in the home
65%
Okay in any situation
4%
Never okay
6%

Total votes: 103

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Do you leave loaded firearms unattended?

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

A while back, I made the comment in a post that I thought it was irresponsible gun ownership to leave loaded firearms laying around - they need to be on your person, locked up, or unloaded. My reasoning is that once you put a cartridge in a firearm, you are responsible for how that cartridge may exit the firearm, and you cannot exercise that responsibility if the firearm is not in your possession. Also, even if you don't have small kids in the house, you never know when that might change (e.g., neighbor drops kids off with your wife/husband to take care of an emergency; grandkids stop by unannounced, etc.).

I was quite shocked that I was almost universally lampooned for taking this position. So I thought I would start this survey to better gauge how others feel. Have at it - my skin is thick.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you leave loaded firearms unattended?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:.....I was almost universally lampooned for taking this position. So I thought I would start this survey to better gauge how others feel. Have at it - my skin is thick.
I don't lampoon for taking that position, but it's not my position. I have loaded pistols "untended" in a couple of parts of the house. I say "untended" in quotes because they aren't really untended. I know which guns are where, whether they are loaded or not, and what they are loaded with. So they aren't really untended anymore than my cellphone is untended when I leave it on the kitchen table. Soon enough, my granddaughter will be big enough that those guns will have to be locked up. When that day comes, I'll take care of it. But until then, I balance the advantage of availability against the safety issues, and I prefer the availability.

Please don't lampoon me for taking that position. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Please don't lampoon me for taking that position. :lol:
Sorry, I must lampoon you. Consider yourself lampooned.
Last edited by AlaskanInTexas on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XnTx

Post by XnTx »

More variables than the voting options cover. That said, how I manage my firearms is pretty much no ones' business. They are in my control, I know where they are, anyone in the house without my knowledge is considered a target.
CHL - 9/22/11
NRA Life Member - 12/12/15
XDS .45 or P380

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RetNavy »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:
better being lampooned instead of being "harpooned" :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: "rlol"
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

RetNavy wrote:
AlaskanInTexas wrote:
better being lampooned instead of being "harpooned" :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: "rlol"
Or dragooned.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Texas Penal Code - Section 46.13. Making A Firearm Accessible To A Child
http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.13.00.html

I always open carry on my property. When children are in my house, all firearms are legally carried or secured. My house, my rules. Your mileage may vary.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: whether they are loaded or not, and what they are loaded with.
All guns are loaded. :thumbs2: I know what you meant though.

Semantics aside, in my place, it's just myself, my wife, and our cat. I'm okay with leaving a couple loaded around the house. We don't have friend or family that stops by. Zero chance of there being a child here. And I don't see the cat shooting herself any time soon.

That being said, they should be properly concealed if not secure in a safe. And when concealed, I always cover the trigger. Either in my carry holster, or in a MIC holster to avoid issues when retrieving it from concealment. (Talking pistols here that don't have an external safety. Rifles and shotguns should be good with the safety on.)

However, if there were any children in the home or any chance of people with kids dropping by, I would secure firearms in a quick-access safe at minimum.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

What exactly is "unattended?"
In my opinion a gun is either loaded on you in a secured manner or within close proximity.
If there are children around it will be on me in a secured manner or in the safe!
No exception made!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

all weapons are locked in a safe during the day, regardless if my kids are home or not.... have one weapon on my person, even when the kids are home....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I think it's situation based on if or if not a good idea.
In my house, it is not a bad deal... Two adult shooters. One adult son who is a shooter and visits daily or at least a few times weekly. House protected from intrusion by a combined weight of 332lb of dog, alarm and wife.........at a distant fourth a grumpy Infantry Sergeant Major :mrgreen:
A loaded pistol, rifle and shot gun staged in the house are in no danger of having an ND or walking off with an unauthorized person. We rarely have company, but when we do, weapons are only on body or in a locked part of the house (or in the safe)
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

As long as it is in my home, it isn't "left". It is stored where it is supposed to be and how it is stored and whether it is loaded is my decision. I have no little kids and nobody is dropping any off without an adult of my household there.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

SRH78 wrote:As long as it is in my home, it isn't "left". It is stored where it is supposed to be and how it is stored and whether it is loaded is my decision. I have no little kids and nobody is dropping any off without an adult of my household there.
:iagree:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

leaving the firearm in the safe should not be an option, no one can access the safe, but those who have the access code.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

poppo

Post by poppo »

SRH78 wrote:As long as it is in my home, it isn't "left". It is stored where it is supposed to be and how it is stored and whether it is loaded is my decision. I have no little kids and nobody is dropping any off without an adult of my household there.
Yeah, this.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”