Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tazman
Posts in topic: 2

How to rack it one handed

Post by Tazman »

All

I had the unfortunate turn of events on Easter weekend (and on my birthday no less) to break my wrist in a dirt bike accident which required emergency surgery due to a compound fracture. I ended up with some new hardware - a permanent plate and 4 screws and a pin that will come out when the cast comes off.

I also got a Rock Island Armory 1911 9mm for my birthday that I haven't been able to fire. This raises the question - how can you rack the slide with one hand on a semi-auto? This would be very applicable if either your strong hand or weak hand got injured in a scuffle.

My right hand (strong) doesn't currently have the grip strength with the cast and all to grip the gun in order to rack with my left hand.

C-dub

Re: How to rack it one handed

Post by C-dub »

Do you have an immediate need to be able to do this?

If your sights are up to the task, they can work.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Tazman

Post by Tazman »

C-dub wrote:Do you have an immediate need to be able to do this?
No immediate need - just more curious than anything else!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

You can also kneel as if to sit on your foot (the side with the pistol) and catch the rear sight on the heel of your shoe or boot and rack it that way.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

If you keep it locked and loaded you don't have to rack it. :lol: After all it is almost a 1911. :smilelol5: I'm betting there is probably videos out there showing how.
I'm thinking if you press the back strap up against something while holding the slide and pressed down you could probably do it. Like up against your thigh. Might want to be careful not to press the grip safety while doing it. If you try anything just make sure you do it unloaded.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Tazman wrote:
C-dub wrote:Do you have an immediate need to be able to do this?
No immediate need - just more curious than anything else!
That's good. I thought you might have a class or something coming up soon that you didn't want to cancel or postpone.

I would load it up with a round in the chamber, as The Wall suggested, and keep it that way until I regained the use of both hands. And then do what you're doing and figure out a way to manipulate it one handed for emergency purposes.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DocV

Post by DocV »

My 1911's have rear sights that one could use to rack the slide - although, doing so seems like something I don't want to do. With a 1911 without a full length guide-rod, you can push slide back by pressing slide's guide plug against a flat surface. I have done this exactly one time. It worked but I have not had occasion to do so again.

You can, allegedly, http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.ph ... stcount=67 use your pant's leg. This sounds, dare I say, risky to me.

BAW1967

Post by BAW1967 »

Use your rear sights on your gun belt, jeans pocket, leg, or heel of your shoe to rack the slide one handed.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I carry my BTA90 with a round in the chamber with the safety on. Reloading one-handed will be problematic, but I only have to get the new magazine locked.

I have 12 opportunties to avoid having to reload.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

A-R

Post by A-R »

If highly recommend this video set regardless, but for learning the best tips for how to run a gun one-handed in a gunfight I've not seen better instruction than "Magpul Dynamics Art of the Dynamic Handgun" video set. Can buy at Amazon etc.

Macgyver

Post by Macgyver »

+1 on the recoil spring cap if you have a short guide rod. It will give a little, then you're just pressing on the slide itself.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I had hand surgery a while back and had the same problem. My solution was my snub nose and ruger sp101 until my hand was fully healed and I felt confident with a slide again.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

The Wall wrote:Might want to be careful not to press the grip safety while doing it. If you try anything just make sure you do it unloaded.
Good advice on a 1911 style, and excellent advice about making sure it's unloaded when practicing.

However, on a full-size Springfield XD, you cannot rack the slide without the grip safety being pressed. Not so on the XDs, it racks without the grip safety. I don't own an XDm, and I've only fired one during one session a couple of years back, and don't remember about that one.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”