Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 8

EDC light help

Post by 1s1k52 »

Mods move if in the wrong spot please.

Thinking about this for an EDC light http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld09-led-flashlight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know they make brighter lights BUT I want something AA or AAA for availability of batteries. THE kicker. Has to have a momentary on.

I have been looking for about a month and yet to find something AA or AAA that has that option.

Thoughts?
(insert clever signature here)

Winchster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: EDC light help

Post by Winchster »

I carry the L1 from these people, but this one should work for you
http://www.511tactical.com/tmt-a1-flashlight.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.foursevens.com/products/QT2L-X-AF
$75.00, 750 Lumen.

I've got an older version of this light that is "only" 360 lumen, and it is crazy bright.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

I really like that 5.11, I might have to snag one of those.

I carry a streamlight protac HL and it's a monster. incredibly bright, focused beam (600 lumens) the distance this thing illuminates is awesome but i wish there was more of a spread to the light pattern.

it's also huge, sometimes difficult to keep in a pocket.

I think the next tac lite i purchase will be the EB1 backup, I love the size and 200 lumens is plenty imho. I bought myself and the wife a maglite XL100 each about 7 years ago and they both still work like they did when they were new, for what it's worth... i think you can find those for $15 now.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

I carry a Fenix E15 for edc, lot of light in a small package.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

This is what I use. Cheap $5 and uses one AA battery. It will light up the neighbors house across the street. It has an adjustable beam.

http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3- ... WN2oOnbKUk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

WildBill wrote:This is what I use. Cheap $5 and uses one AA battery. It will light up the neighbors house across the street. It has an adjustable beam.

[ Image ]

http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3- ... WN2oOnbKUk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Me too, those are incredible little lights.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$3.55 at Amazon. I buy them by the dozen because I always give them away to friends and family.
TSRA Life Memeber

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

My EDC flashlight is an iTP SC1 Eluma I picked up at the TSRA gun show in Mesquite a few years back. It's 3 3/8" long and I've been carrying it in my front pocket since I've had it.

Its only drawback, if you can call it that is that the battery is a CR123 battery, which are pretty expensive if you try to buy it at retail. But they are only $1.00 each if you go through an online retailer like Deal Extreme. 3 power level settings plus a strobe. Has momentary switch and come with an extra reverse switch. I love it. There's a separate power level/strobe switch button on the rear of the lens hood, which I find very handy because you don't have to mess with the tailcap switch to change modes. And it retains the setting when you turn it off.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

joe817 wrote:My EDC flashlight is an iTP SC1 Eluma I picked up at the TSRA gun show in Mesquite a few years back. It's 3 3/8" long and I've been carrying it in my front pocket since I've had it.

Its only drawback, if you can call it that is that the battery is a CR123 battery, which are pretty expensive if you try to buy it at retail. But they are only $1.00 each if you go through an online retailer like Deal Extreme. 3 power level settings plus a strobe. Has momentary switch and come with an extra reverse switch. I love it. There's a separate power level/strobe switch button on the rear of the lens hood, which I find very handy because you don't have to mess with the tailcap switch to change modes. And it retains the setting when you turn it off.
CR123 lithium is about the best battery out there. Doesn't leak, and they last a lot longer than alkaleaks do.
TSRA Life Memeber

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:This is what I use. Cheap $5 and uses one AA battery. It will light up the neighbors house across the street. It has an adjustable beam.

[ Image ]

I have a couple like that I bought as "throwdown" lights. When you tighten your beam all the way, does it actually project the image of the diode onto whatever surface the light hits? Both of mine do that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

[ Image ]

I have a couple like that I bought as "throwdown" lights. When you tighten your beam all the way, does it actually project the image of the diode onto whatever surface the light hits? Both of mine do that.
Mine do that too. You can see the LED projected on the surface. As little as I use the lights, it really doesn't bother me.

I took one with me to the movies the other night. It prevented me from tripping down the stairs and falling on my face.

Similar to Eureka40, I have bought dozens of the Ultrafire and Spik to give away as presents.

I still have my old xenon Surefire Defender, which I like except for the CR123 batteries.

The Defender is much heavier that the "throwdown light" which makes it a better weapon.

If they made them in rechargeable 123 batteries, I would probably buy one of the other models rather than use the AA flashlight.

I bought a box of batteries with my Surefire, but they didn't hold the charge so I ended up having to throw them away before I even had a chance to use them.

I have been trying to use only rechargeable batteries for my small electronic devices. I have solar chargers which can recharge them if the power goes off.
NRA Endowment Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I have a few of these, picked up a holster at Home Depot that fits perfectly.

http://www.hexbright.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

eureka40 wrote:
joe817 wrote:My EDC flashlight is an iTP SC1 Eluma I picked up at the TSRA gun show in Mesquite a few years back. It's 3 3/8" long and I've been carrying it in my front pocket since I've had it.

CR123 lithium is about the best battery out there. Doesn't leak, and they last a lot longer than alkaleaks do.
Not only this you can now find them in every grocery store and almost every stop and rob.

I carry the Sure Fire Executive Elite E2E. I think it is discontinued and I am not sure what took its place, but very nice light.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

carlson1 wrote:
eureka40 wrote:

Not only this you can now find them in every grocery store and almost every stop and rob.

I carry the Sure Fire Executive Elite E2E. I think it is discontinued and I am not sure what took its place, but very nice light.

Yes I understand but I was with a guy who ran into a kroger and come out 15 bucks poorer with 2 batteries in his hand.

I think I am going to pick up the Fenix and 2-3 of the $4 dollar ones suggested. I don't want anytbing to carry that the beam gets adjusted by turning the head. I also want AA. From everything I want I think it's the best bet for under or around $40.00 because I still have to buy a better light for work.
(insert clever signature here)

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

1s1k52 wrote:Mods move if in the wrong spot please. Thinking about this for an EDC light http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld09-led-flashlight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know they make brighter lights BUT I want something AA or AAA for availability of batteries. THE kicker. Has to have a momentary on. I have been looking for about a month and yet to find something AA or AAA that has that option. Thoughts?
Fenix makes a good quality flashlight for sure. The one you picked out is a nice one for camping because of the SOS feature. I'm not so sure that I would want an EDC flashlight with that feature. I'd much rather have the strobe feature.

I'd say shop around. Deal Extreme is a great website to search for flashlights. Their selection is endless.

http://www.dx.com/c/lights-lighting-139 ... ights-1360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”