First S&W

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gmfitter
Posts in topic: 1

First S&W

Post by gmfitter »

I bought my first S&W yesterday. M&P Shield in 9mm. Sweet litle gun, csn't wait to get to the range.
Couple of issues. I wonder why the model without the manual safety costs more than the one with the safety?
Also, the slide is pretty hard to operate. Will it loosen up after a break in period?
Should I take down and clean and lube the gun before it's first use, or was it lubed at the factory?

williamkevin

Re: First S&W

Post by williamkevin »

Congrats on a great gun! My wife and I each own one in 9mm.

Field strip, clean & lube according to the owners manual before you shoot it. The recoil spring will "set" over time (my slide got easier to operate the more I shot it) 200-300 rounds or so.

Enjoy!

The Annoyed Man

Re: First S&W

Post by The Annoyed Man »

williamkevin wrote:Congrats on a great gun! My wife and I each own one in 9mm.

Field strip, clean & lube according to the owners manual before you shoot it. The recoil spring will "set" over time (my slide got easier to operate the more I shot it) 200-300 rounds or so.

Enjoy!
Even so, it is a given that the recoil spring on a 3" barreled pistol will be harder to overcome than the spring on a longer one. I have enough rounds through my XDS45 now that it is well broken in, but it still has a stiffer recoil spring than its big brother XDM45.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”