Holster Help!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BulldogBorders
Posts in topic: 3

Holster Help!

Post by BulldogBorders »

Hello all... I'm fairly new here and new to concealed carry. My dilemma is I bought a S&W M&P Shield 9mm for my CC weapon, when I bought it I found a really nice local made Kydex holster, love the holster. But here is my issue, it gets hot in Texas! So with this thing in the small of my back all day I take it off to find the skin side of the gun all sweaty. What's a good IWB small of back holster that extends up far enough to cover the gun and protect it from my sweaty back??? Been looking at the Alien Gear 3.0, Savoy Leathers and Foxx brands. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Bulldog!
NRA Benefactor Life Member - Join the NRA
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp ... d=XR019416

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Holster Help!

Post by Jago668 »

I have an alien gear cloak tuck 2.0, and it is comfortable, and works great. I can see why they went to a stainless steel interior piece though. After using it for a little more than a year the plastic insert thing is starting to break were it creases. If the new insert fixes that it'll be great. Need to contact them and see what can be done about switching out. A friend of mine likes and recommended Raven Concealment for holsters. I haven't tried them, but he is someone that I actually trust to give gun/equipment advice. I had leather holster and mag carrier from D M Bullard out in Azle and they work great, hold up great, etc. However I have to wear an undershirt with them. The leather and my skin don't get along after a long day of sweating. I don't have that problem with the Aliengear. I also have a mag carrier from Stealthgear USA. It works well, but the backing on it is rougher than the Aliengear one and is slightly less comfortable because of it.

I also like the nylon clips that Aliengear has, they work better for me than the metal clips my leather holsters and the mag carrier have. The belt loops that you can get the Aliengear are so so. Since they have two points of rotation (one on the holster, the other on the loop) they can shift around more, and have had them force the holster up out of my pants. Had to take the holster off to get it all fit back down correctly. So something to be aware of with those if you go the Aliengear route.

I haven't used a full kydex IWB holster, so can't say how the comfort compares between it and the others I have used. I also use those Hoppe's silicone cloth wipes on my guns every so often as an extra preventative measure. I had to do that more often with the leather holster. I assume the leather was absorbing the oil off the pistol.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I wear a thin wife beater T-shirt which really helps with my OWB holster from sticking to my skin and getting sweaty. All of my holsters that I frequently use for carry are leather.

RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RJGold »

Comp-Tac MTAC is the one I use.

If you want to wear in the small of your back, you may want to order the opposite hand from your strong hand. The cant is adjustable and it is leather backed (also could get horsehide leather as well I think).

I also wear snug fitting cotton t-shirts to help with sweat and any potential chafing issues.

http://www.comp-tac.com
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RJGold »

...also, I believe the Infidel holster from Comp-Tac will work for you. It's full kydex but has a backing that covers the entire slide so that only the grip is exposed.

If you like small of back, you'd probably want to order the oposite hand...

Good luck...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

TomfromTx

Post by TomfromTx »

I've used Alien Gear since they first came on the market. I recently upgraded to the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3 and can wear it strong side or SOB with no problems. I use the metal clips, I don't trust the plastic ones.

Topic author
BulldogBorders

Post by BulldogBorders »

Awesome! Thank you all, now I've got some online shopping to do. Pretty sure it's narrowed down to the Comp Tac and the Alien Gear 3.0...

:thewave

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

Check out Stealth Gear. I just got one of their iwb holsters for a Sig. Instead of using leather, they use a breathable material that I believe stays cooler than leather or any other material I have seen. It was expensive, about $100, but the comfort is worth the price to me.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

if you are worried about the sweat getting through the holster, get horse hide instead of standard cowhide.
It is supposed to be better to withstand the moisture through it.

Both Comptac and Crossbreed have horsehide options, I am not sure about other manufacturers
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I use Alien Gear for my Sigma 9mm and think its very comfortable to wear although I don't use it for extended periods of time outside.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Personally, I like Crossbreed. I have 3 for IWB - a Sig 1911 rail, a full size Springfield XD Tactical, and an XDs, all in .45. The XDs is my EDC for over 2 years, and that holster is horsehide. No noticeable sweat transfer to the gun. All are really comfortable. I haven't tried other hybrids, but may look at Whitehat next time because they're Texan.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

casp625

Post by casp625 »

BulldogBorders wrote:Hello all... I'm fairly new here and new to concealed carry. My dilemma is I bought a S&W M&P Shield 9mm for my CC weapon, when I bought it I found a really nice local made Kydex holster, love the holster. But here is my issue, it gets hot in Texas! So with this thing in the small of my back all day I take it off to find the skin side of the gun all sweaty. What's a good IWB small of back holster that extends up far enough to cover the gun and protect it from my sweaty back??? Been looking at the Alien Gear 3.0, Savoy Leathers and Foxx brands. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Bulldog!
I carry the Shield 9mm and .40, depending on how I feel for the day. I wear this holster: www.firearmholster.com with IWB when I am wearing tighter/thin shirt and it conceals well. However, with a little larger shirt, I wear it OWB and have no issues. The holster is made from Kydex, leather, and has fleece on the skin-side of the holster. While I am not personally sweaty, I am sure the fleece soaks some of it up so it should probably be cleaned depending on how much you sweat.

ETA:
From their website, there is a piece of rubber between the fleece and leather so that sweat doesn't soak through to it.

Topic author
BulldogBorders

Post by BulldogBorders »

Just wanted to thank y'all for the suggestions/replies. I greatly appreciate it.

:clapping: :tiphat:

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I've found the COMP TAC MTAC Holster to be very versatile and comfortable. You can purchase additional "faces" for the MTAC Holster that allow you to use one holster for different pistols. The earlier suggestion of wearing a thin cotton t-shirt helps as well.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Sigshooter

Post by Sigshooter »

I really like my Ozark Holsters.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”