Pocket Gun Debate: LC9 or Curve

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 3

Pocket Gun Debate: LC9 or Curve

Post by TexasComputerDude »

So, I've always carried a large .45 but I've recently run into a problem. I wear gym shorts a lot now and can't really wear a gun belt with them.

What do yall feel is the best pocket carry gun? I want either an LC9 or Curve but I'm open to suggestions. I would really like a pocket .45 but my XDS is a bit large. Any ideas?
Glock 30 - main ccw

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pocket Gun Debate: LC9 or Curve

Post by surferdaddy »

At one time or another; I've owned just about all pocket pistols. In my searching for the grass is greener gun I have finally arrived at the sig p938. Good caliber, adequate capacity, exquisite quality and more shoot-able than a gun its size should be. And I mean to say, it is small in all the right places. Imo, finest of the breed.

Surfer.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

surferdaddy wrote:At one time or another; I've owned just about all pocket pistols. In my searching for the grass is greener gun I have finally arrived at the sig p938. Good caliber, adequate capacity, exquisite quality and more shoot-able than a gun its size should be. And I mean to say, it is small in all the right places. Imo, finest of the breed.

Surfer.
:iagree: The SIG P938 is perhaps the better choice of all at this point in time in my opinion. You need to accommodate to single action though.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Eric Lamberson »

The Sig P238, the P938, and the old standby S&W J frame are all excellent. If you are well accustomed to the 1911-style controls , either Sig is fine. If you normally carry a pistol without a thumb safety I would go with the S&W J-frame. The S&W 642 is light weight and easy to carry. Under stress there is no thumb safety to click off and it has revolver reliability.

I absolutely cringe when a student shows up with the LC9 or LCP. Generally a horrid trigger that makes it very difficult for most people to shoot well. I have no experience with the Curve so not qualified to have an opinion about its suitability.

Eric
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Nano 9
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Kahr PM9 or CM9
S&W M&P Shield
Glock 43
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

If there is ever a choice between anything else and something from Taurus... the answer is almost always going to be whatever is NOT from Taurus.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Eric Lamberson wrote:The Sig P238, the P938, and the old standby S&W J frame are all excellent. If you are well accustomed to the 1911-style controls , either Sig is fine. If you normally carry a pistol without a thumb safety I would go with the S&W J-frame. The S&W 642 is light weight and easy to carry. Under stress there is no thumb safety to click off and it has revolver reliability.

I absolutely cringe when a student shows up with the LC9 or LCP. Generally a horrid trigger that makes it very difficult for most people to shoot well. I have no experience with the Curve so not qualified to have an opinion about its suitability.

Eric
The LCP is the one pistol that I absolutely dislike shooting.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

The Bond Arms 45ACP Derringer is a bit heavy but I like it. I carry a 1911 when out and about with the derringer in my pocket. I can wrap my hand around the derringer easily and walk about with it in my hand. Might be a tad heavy for gym shorts...
III

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Sig P290RS if you prefer a long, DOA trigger vs. the single action in the P938... the 290RS is cheaper too!

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

cyphertext wrote:Sig P290RS if you prefer a long, DOA trigger vs. the single action in the P938... the 290RS is cheaper too!
Those two models are very similar in size. I held the P290 in my hand but at the time there was no extended magazine available for it and the trigger pull wasn't my deal either. The price is acceptable and I remember there was a deakl at grabagun.com where they supplemented a P290 for free if you buy a certain P229 model in .40 cal.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Eric Lamberson wrote:The Sig P238, the P938, and the old standby S&W J frame are all excellent. If you are well accustomed to the 1911-style controls , either Sig is fine. If you normally carry a pistol without a thumb safety I would go with the S&W J-frame. The S&W 642 is light weight and easy to carry. Under stress there is no thumb safety to click off and it has revolver reliability.

Eric
I can put a full mag into a 6 inch group at 30 feet with my LC9. It's not a target gun and was never intended to be. It is however a fine self defense pistol that fits in my pocket or vanishes under a t-shirt. Just sayin'...
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasComputerDude »

Really great information! I'm looking at the sig now and the nano, along with the previous 2.

Decisions decisions lol.

I was thinking of getting a bellyband for my regular carry, but still tough choice.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

AJSully421 wrote:If there is ever a choice between anything else and something from Taurus... the answer is almost always going to be whatever is NOT from Taurus.
I know this is the general consensus. However, I have been pleased with several pistols from Taurus, including the TCP. You may also consider that pistol. :tiphat:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

nyj

Post by nyj »

AJSully421 wrote:If there is ever a choice between anything else and something from Taurus... the answer is almost always going to be whatever is NOT from Taurus.

Please do share your awful experiences with Taurus. Or are you just joining the blind bandwagon for hating on them?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”