Pocket Gun Debate: LC9 or Curve

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pocket Gun Debate: LC9 or Curve

Post by cyphertext »

bmwrdr wrote:
cyphertext wrote:Sig P290RS if you prefer a long, DOA trigger vs. the single action in the P938... the 290RS is cheaper too!
Those two models are very similar in size. I held the P290 in my hand but at the time there was no extended magazine available for it and the trigger pull wasn't my deal either. The price is acceptable and I remember there was a deakl at grabagun.com where they supplemented a P290 for free if you buy a certain P229 model in .40 cal.
If you go with the 290, make sure it is the P290RS... they had problems initially. The trigger isn't bad on mine. It is long, but smooth... very revolver like. Much better than my Kel Tec PF9.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

nyj wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:If there is ever a choice between anything else and something from Taurus... the answer is almost always going to be whatever is NOT from Taurus.

Please do share your awful experiences with Taurus. Or are you just joining the blind bandwagon for hating on them?
'Hate' is a bit harsh for my view on Taurus semi-autos. I'm not a fan of Taurus or Ruger semi's, but both make good revolvers in my opinion. Just that, though, opinion. And opinions are like techniques & 'noses'; everyone has one, & most of them 'smell'.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

TexasComputerDude wrote:Really great information! I'm looking at the sig now and the nano, along with the previous 2.

Decisions decisions lol.

I was thinking of getting a bellyband for my regular carry, but still tough choice.
Belly band will likely work for both your regular carry & 'gym shorts' carry, so that would be a good investment. Once you become comfortable with drawing from the belly band you will have a consistent method of carry/draw technique regardless of what you're wearing. Just remember to build up your muscle memory of where you're carrying the gun so in a crisis you don't attempt to draw from wherever you have been accustomed to drawing from (ie, belly band vs where you carry now).

Cowboyhockey14
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cowboyhockey14 »

Has anyone ever shot a curve?

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I shot both the curve and lc9. I went with the lc9 with the laser for my first cc. I felt the curve had more recoil than the lc9. But that is just me. I am leaning towards a Taurus for my next purchase.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

I'd recommend staying away from an LC-9 unless you're going with the striker trigger'ed LC-9s or LC-9sPro, both of which get away from the original's heavy and long trigger pull.

My primary CC right now is an LC-9s with a Viridian R5 Reactor green laser on the front trigger guard. The Reactor series of lasers are new, and are able to control the laser's on/off cycle through the use of a holster mounted magnet, so that when you holster the gun, the laser goes darl. But, upon drawing the gun from the holster, your laser is on, and pointing where the bullet is going to go if you pull the trigger.

I wasn't too convinced about that system at first. The LC-9s came with a pocket holster, which I didn't use much as I wanted it as an IWB rig, so I got a holster that did not have the integral magnet in it, which promptly helped to run the batteries down. Fast forward to last Spring when I bought a Comp-Tac Infidel holster with the magnet pre-installed, and my opinion has swung 180 degrees. I hardly wear anything else, these days.

I haven't had the opportunity to fondle or shoot the Curve, yet, but have no doubt it probably is OK. But I do know the LC-9s with R5 Reactor combo in a magnet equipped holster, is very comfortable, and I know I need not worry about excessive battery drain if I forget to turn the laser off.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Lumberjack98 wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:If there is ever a choice between anything else and something from Taurus... the answer is almost always going to be whatever is NOT from Taurus.
I know this is the general consensus. However, I have been pleased with several pistols from Taurus, including the TCP. You may also consider that pistol. :tiphat:
I'd second the TCP. I have one for occasional carry when I just can't carry my G19. Never had an issue with it.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

bmwrdr wrote:
surferdaddy wrote:At one time or another; I've owned just about all pocket pistols. In my searching for the grass is greener gun I have finally arrived at the sig p938. Good caliber, adequate capacity, exquisite quality and more shoot-able than a gun its size should be. And I mean to say, it is small in all the right places. Imo, finest of the breed.

Surfer.
:iagree: The SIG P938 is perhaps the better choice of all at this point in time in my opinion. You need to accommodate to single action though.
I initially bought a PM9 for pocket carry, but I never really cared for it. I found it very uncomfortable to shoot, and I was never very accurate with it. I recently replaced it with a P938 which I like much better. It's much more fun to shoot and more accurate to boot!

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

TrueFlog wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
surferdaddy wrote:At one time or another; I've owned just about all pocket pistols. In my searching for the grass is greener gun I have finally arrived at the sig p938. Good caliber, adequate capacity, exquisite quality and more shoot-able than a gun its size should be. And I mean to say, it is small in all the right places. Imo, finest of the breed.

Surfer.
:iagree: The SIG P938 is perhaps the better choice of all at this point in time in my opinion. You need to accommodate to single action though.
I initially bought a PM9 for pocket carry, but I never really cared for it. I found it very uncomfortable to shoot, and I was never very accurate with it. I recently replaced it with a P938 which I like much better. It's much more fun to shoot and more accurate to boot!
I too had a little Kahr and agree that at least for me, the 938 is way more fun to shoot. Still have the pm9 but it is on semipermanent loan to a friend who loves it.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

nyj wrote:

Please do share your awful experiences with Taurus. Or are you just joining the blind bandwagon for hating on them?

Had a PT-92 that just would not run. FTF 1-2 times per mag. Finally got a hold of CS and sent it in. 8 weeks later I get it back with "nothing wrong".

Still wouldn't feed with anything but FMJ. Sold it.

No blind hate here. My Great uncle has a 7 shot taurus revolver that he swears by. I'd rather shoot something NOT from Taurus.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

Accuracy of PM9s is not a problem. The gun itself is very accurate. Accuracy issues with the PM9 probably are centered around the trigger pull being different than most of the modern striker-fired pistols. Longer stroke (akin to DA), but light. Tendency is to react prior to the round going off. The 938 or a 1911 with a short light trigger is going to mask that. That's a good thing really if it helps perceived accuracy. You've got to be comfortable with what you carry and you've got to be able to hit what you want to hit to be comfortable. I shoot the PM9 really well and find it unbelievably accurate for such a short barrel. Watch Hickok45 shoot it out at distance.

If you like .45, Kahr makes a PM45. But again, you'd have to like the trigger. The PM45 is a little bigger than the PM9. It's a touch wider than the LC9.

The Sig 938 is definitely smaller than the Shield, Glock 43, Kahrs, and XDs. I find the Shield/Glock 43 a little bigger than I like for pocket carry, but this will be highly subjective.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Have had no problems with my Taurus TCP 380. I don't love shooting it, but it works very well. It got a very strong endorsement from Tom Estep during the CHL 100 course. He had one on him and praised it for a very even trigger pull.

For those discussing Taurus semi-auto's, I really like my Taurus PT840. It fires great in single action and performs well in double action also. For it's single-action/double action features I prefer it to my Glock. However, if you buy one of the early production offerings I'd watch out for it. Seems like it had some issues in the first year it was released with the breakdown spring being weak, and the slide stop not working consistently. Mine has had no issues.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

You know the problem with all of these threads is like asking people what ice cream they like:

Some swear by vanilla

Some swear by chocolate

Some swear by strawberry

Some swear by butter pecan, or this or that or the other, the list goes on ad infinitum, ad nauseum

Some hate this, some hate that, some hate ice cream in any form and counsel complete avoidance, some hate everything

What do such answers prove? Absolutely nothing. They're a complete waste of time.

Now to ask the same question of a tool that will be used to protect your life? Still proves nothing. And IMHO, it's dangerous. It's not the tool that's important, but the carpenter. And may I suggest a far better question to ask?

What gun works best for ME?

Go to a range and rent several and see what feels best and shoots best. That one answer is worth your life. Everything else is worth exactly what you paid for it.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

:iagree: with ShootDontTalk regarding the hardware. What feels and shoots best for YOU is important, because that means you may actually spend time putting some rounds down range and becoming proficient in using it. The real important factor is not the hardware, though, as much as the software. Training is every bit as important as the hardware -- including drawing from a holster and shooting, engaging multiple targets, using cover and concealment, performing magazine changes, moving and shooting, shooting moving targets, etc..., as is mental preparation.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasComputerDude »

ShootDontTalk wrote:You know the problem with all of these threads is like asking people what ice cream they like:

Some swear by vanilla

Some swear by chocolate

Some swear by strawberry

Some swear by butter pecan, or this or that or the other, the list goes on ad infinitum, ad nauseum

Some hate this, some hate that, some hate ice cream in any form and counsel complete avoidance, some hate everything

What do such answers prove? Absolutely nothing. They're a complete waste of time.

Now to ask the same question of a tool that will be used to protect your life? Still proves nothing. And IMHO, it's dangerous. It's not the tool that's important, but the carpenter. And may I suggest a far better question to ask?

What gun works best for ME?

Go to a range and rent several and see what feels best and shoots best. That one answer is worth your life. Everything else is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Your somewhat correct. However I think a lot was learned from this thread. For instance, i had no idea that the lc9s could be equiped with a magnetically activated laser or that such a thing existed. I value the opinions of many on this board and i find they always lead me down avenues i hadnt considered.

I am not a gun expert. I train as much as i can and know my carry weapons inside and out but sometimes its nice to have a discussion to help figure out what might work for me.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”