Ruger 1911 Commander .45 Problem

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Ruger 1911 Commander .45 Problem

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

DocV wrote:I admit this is a bit of a puzzling failure mode. My initial suspect for feed problems is always the magazine. Given none of the three magazines would feed, that would imply that all three magazines are failing; or, the magazines are not seated properly; or, the disconnector track is not stripping a round out of the mag for some reason.

Can you answer a few questions for me please?

1. Has this problem repeated for each of the mags? In particular, can you load the first round in the pistol, shoot the round, and does additional rounds fail to load?

2. Does failure to load mean the rounds just stay in the mag? If not, where are the rounds after the first round is fired?

3. Have you tried the traditional tap and rack procedure for a FTF? Did that help?
1. All three mags: 7, 8, and 12. The first round was already in there from last time I shot.

2. All rounds stay in mag. Aren't picked up.

3. Not familiar with Tap and rack. Wasn't a FTF, just a FT Load.

The weird thing is that ALL previous rounds loaded perfectly several months ago. No load, extract, etc. problems. Just this ONE time attempt to shoot again after several months. One round was already in battery from last time I shot...didn't want to have to cycle slide this time, just put another loaded mag in pistol.
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Pawpaw »

I'll ask again...

Bill, You don't have a shock buffer installed in that pistol, do you?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Countryside »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:
DocV wrote:I admit this is a bit of a puzzling failure mode. My initial suspect for feed problems is always the magazine. Given none of the three magazines would feed, that would imply that all three magazines are failing; or, the magazines are not seated properly; or, the disconnector track is not stripping a round out of the mag for some reason.

Can you answer a few questions for me please?

1. Has this problem repeated for each of the mags? In particular, can you load the first round in the pistol, shoot the round, and does additional rounds fail to load?

2. Does failure to load mean the rounds just stay in the mag? If not, where are the rounds after the first round is fired?

3. Have you tried the traditional tap and rack procedure for a FTF? Did that help?
1. All three mags: 7, 8, and 12. The first round was already in there from last time I shot.

2. All rounds stay in mag. Aren't picked up.

3. Not familiar with Tap and rack. Wasn't a FTF, just a FT Load.

The weird thing is that ALL previous rounds loaded perfectly several months ago. No load, extract, etc. problems. Just this ONE time attempt to shoot again after several months. One round was already in battery from last time I shot...didn't want to have to cycle slide this time, just put another loaded mag in pistol.
It's those dad-gum, evil gun gnomes.

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Pawpaw wrote:I'll ask again...

No. Pistol is out of the box and worked fine until tried to shoot again this week after it had been inactive for several months.
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

DocV
Posts in topic: 9

Post by DocV »

Bill,

Failure to load is really odd. Clint Smith has a youtube video about tap and rack. I can't figure out how to embed a video but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILfYGgr4kKg should get you there.

I would suggest you clear the pistol, then load the magazine with a single round and try again. Verify the slide stays open after firing the round. If so, release the mag, load two rounds into the same mag, drop the slide into battery and try again. If either of these fail, clear the pistol and call Ruger or visit your gun shop where you purchased the pistol. I seem to recall you posted that they have a test range. Is that correct?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

AndyC wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I'll ask again...

Excellent question :thumbs2:

That could mean that the slide isn't making it back far enough to pick up the next round. I still would like Bill to peek into the port to SEE what's going on.
I was just reaching for the low-hanging fruit, but Bill says no so that's a swing & a miss.

This is such an odd problem. I feel like it should be easy to spot, if we could see & hold it.

Bill, Have you ever field stripped this pistol? I mean even before you shot it the first time.

Andy, What about the recoil spring being installed backwards? The pistol might work ok for a little while & then mess up.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 74

Post by Excaliber »

AndyC wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Andy,

Thanks for wracking your brain on this one along with me.

The issues occurred with Winchester Ranger hollowpoints and Federal 230 grain FMJ range ammo.

The double feed happened mid magazine. The loose round in the ejection port was the last round in the magazine.

The mags are clean and dry - I'm religious about that. Spring tension is also strong.

I didn't check for clocking, but I have never seen the extractor out of its proper orientation - including when I could clearly see the extractor cut behind the base of the casing on the failure to go into battery incident.

I'm traveling at the moment, but my recollection is that the Ruger mags and the Wilsons are all hybrid in the feed lips. I'll have to verify that when I get home at the end of the week.

I'm thinking this is something to do with the gun itself - but what?

I plan to call Ruger today and brainstorm with them. I'll let you know what they say.
Let's ignore clocking for now - unless there's something badly out of spec on the pistol itself, right now I believe it's most likely to be a magazine-issue; I know you said those work fine in other pistols, but some pistols are finicky about their mags.

I don't know how good Ruger mags are but I'm less impressed with Wilson mags - I don't like the design of the follower at all as its dished design means less upwards pressure. If I were you, I'd try something like a Chip McCormick Power mag (flat follower and very strong spring) if you have one or can borrow one.
I have a Chip McCormick, but even if that works, a gun that only works with some very special magazines doesn't fit my reliability requirements for a carry gun. It's going back to Ruger to see what they've got to say about it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jb2012 »

No no no everyone quit posting problems with the ruger 1911's!!!! I was fixing to make a move on a lightweight commander!! No more problems from here on! Haha

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

That said, I hope y'all figure out the problems.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Don't let this discussion dissuade you from buying the Ruger or any 1911, for that matter.

In just the few years I've owned and been using them, I have come to one realization. Over half of the problems I've had with 1911's have originated between my ears.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Pawpaw wrote:Don't let this discussion dissuade you from buying the Ruger or any 1911, for that matter.

In just the few years I've owned and been using them, I have come to one realization. Over half of the problems I've had with 1911's have originated between my ears.
Oh let me assure you no one will ever be able to dissuade me from 1911's. I already have one but I was really impressed with the lightweight commander from ruger, and will definitely not let this incident push me away!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”