Looking for a .22LR fun gun/rifle. Any ideas?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a .22LR fun gun/rifle. Any ideas?

Post by VMI77 »

I highly recommend the Henry AR7. It's sold as a survival rifle. Receiver and barrel break down and fit into the stock along with two mags. It's water proof and floats (broken down). It has an adjustable rear blade peep sight with an orange nicely visible front sight post. My old eyes had no problem hitting a variety of targets out to 75 yards. It's lightweight and a blast to shoot. $250 at Cabelas.

"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

puma guy
Posts in topic: 11

Post by puma guy »

VMI77 wrote:I highly recommend the Henry AR7. It's sold as a survival rifle. Receiver and barrel break down and fit into the stock along with two mags. It's water proof and floats (broken down). It has an adjustable rear blade peep sight with an orange nicely visible front sight post. My old eyes had no problem hitting a variety of targets out to 75 yards. It's lightweight and a blast to shoot. $250 at Cabelas.

If space is an issue it's perfect, makes a great bug out bag weapon as well.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I second the M&P 15-22, it's fun to shoot
NRA Life Member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Another vote for 10/22, with the number of accessories available for it, you can trick it out any way you want, and change it from time to time to suit your tastes. Other than A Volquartsen trigger, a scope, and a mag release, I have made no changes to mine, but it's nice to know I could if I would.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JRG »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had not seen the AR-7 before.

I went today to the Arlington Academy sports and bought a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I got the black synthetic stock with the stainless barrel and works. I love the bag! Plenty of room for the broken down gun and several hundred rounds of ammo on the inside. That still leaves the two pouches on the outside. I am excited.

One thing about Academy Sports, this was my first gun purchase with them. I found it interesting that the salesman carried the gun to the front, kept it in his hands during my paying for it, and then carried it out the front door before handing it to me. I was beginning to think he was going to carry it to my truck for me. ha

Joe

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I also have an M&P15-22 and it is a great fun rifle, but if space is a consideration it might be the best choice. I really like the Henry rifles and have thought hard about getting that AR7. I've heard from a couple people that have one and they say it shoots really good. I don't have nor have I ever shot one of the Ruger 10/22's and couldn't argue with the quality of them. I just haven't been interested in one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

puma guy wrote:
mrvmax wrote:I have a NIB Marlin XT22 with a threaded barrel for sale for $150 out the door. Not sure where you are but I'm a few miles from PSC
That's a shooter! Tube or box mag and wood or synthetic stock?
box, it is the XT22RZ which does not show up on Marlin's website so I think it is discontinued. I picked a couple up on clearance from one of my distributors and sold one to a co-worker. It makes a good, inexpensive 22 rifle and having a threaded barrel it can easily be used suppressed.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

VMI77 wrote:I highly recommend the Henry AR7. It's sold as a survival rifle. Receiver and barrel break down and fit into the stock along with two mags. It's water proof and floats (broken down). It has an adjustable rear blade peep sight with an orange nicely visible front sight post. My old eyes had no problem hitting a variety of targets out to 75 yards. It's lightweight and a blast to shoot. $250 at Cabelas.

It also floats (not broken down) next to upside down canoes. :lol::
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Any recommendations for a scope for the Marlin XT-22?

I don't want to pay more for the scope than the rifle.

Well maybe a little more. :???:
NRA Endowment Member

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

JRG wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I had not seen the AR-7 before.

I went today to the Arlington Academy sports and bought a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I got the black synthetic stock with the stainless barrel and works. I love the bag! Plenty of room for the broken down gun and several hundred rounds of ammo on the inside. That still leaves the two pouches on the outside. I am excited.

One thing about Academy Sports, this was my first gun purchase with them. I found it interesting that the salesman carried the gun to the front, kept it in his hands during my paying for it, and then carried it out the front door before handing it to me. I was beginning to think he was going to carry it to my truck for me. ha

Joe
They always do that. I find it interesting they are so worried about it. But the corporate office makes those rules so the employees have to do it. I have asked them why they aren't worried about someone buying a gun that has a chl and is carrying also. Or just go out to their car and load it and come back in. But that would be thinking too much. Though they usually have decent prices on stuff so I just ignore it.

I have been thinking about a 22 rifle myself other then my ruger mark 3. That take apart one seems interesting.

Cant help you with a scope but you shouldn't have to spend a ton of money on one. I know I wouldn't.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 11

Post by puma guy »

JRG wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I had not seen the AR-7 before.

Joe
Unlike Academy which has no checkout at the gun counter. you can pay at the sporting goods counter at WalMart, but they still carry it out the door. I bought a .22 pistol at Academy and they wouldn't sell me any .22 ammo at the same time. I just put the pistol in the truck and reentered to get the ammo. "rlol" I found a very interesting review on the 10/22 TD. I'll look for it, but he tested the rifle one shot at a time for accuracy and disassembled it after each shot. He used the iron sights and took the gun right out of the box. The results were very good. I'll look for it and post if I locate it.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Taypo »

JRG wrote: One thing about Academy Sports, this was my first gun purchase with them. I found it interesting that the salesman carried the gun to the front, kept it in his hands during my paying for it, and then carried it out the front door before handing it to me. I was beginning to think he was going to carry it to my truck for me. ha
Joe
As opposed to Cabelas, where they hand over the gun as soon as the paperwork is done. I was there a couple weeks back, turned a corner in the clothing department and walked right in front of the muzzle of a shotgun belonging to a guy who bought one and decided to play with it while his wife was picking out clothes.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphertext »

Taypo wrote:
JRG wrote: One thing about Academy Sports, this was my first gun purchase with them. I found it interesting that the salesman carried the gun to the front, kept it in his hands during my paying for it, and then carried it out the front door before handing it to me. I was beginning to think he was going to carry it to my truck for me. ha
Joe
As opposed to Cabelas, where they hand over the gun as soon as the paperwork is done. I was there a couple weeks back, turned a corner in the clothing department and walked right in front of the muzzle of a shotgun belonging to a guy who bought one and decided to play with it while his wife was picking out clothes.
The Cabelas in Allen has walked the gun to the front with every one of them that I have purchased from them. They use a lot of tape on the boxes too!

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Taypo »

cyphertext wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Joe
The Cabelas in Allen has walked the gun to the front with every one of them that I have purchased from them. They use a lot of tape on the boxes too!
Not sure how long it's been, but I bought an 870 there at Christmas time last year that they taped and handed over the counter. Combined with this guy, I'd say they're awfully inconsistent on how they're doing business.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphertext »

Taypo wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Joe
Not sure how long it's been, but I bought an 870 there at Christmas time last year that they taped and handed over the counter. Combined with this guy, I'd say they're awfully inconsistent on how they're doing business.
Your experience is more recent than mine... maybe they have changed policy?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”