Don't Laugh...25 Auto

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

HKsig
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Don't Laugh...25 Auto

Post by HKsig »

I used to shoot the Raven at the range quite a few times and it did well. never had a problem with it as I stayed with the ammo that was good for it and even had guys asked me about it.

"Hey, what's that toy you're shooting?" :lol:

hovercat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hovercat »

If anyone is having failure to fire in a .25, get thee to a gunsmith. The cartridges use the same small pistol primers as 9mm.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

hovercat wrote:If anyone is having failure to fire in a .25, get thee to a gunsmith. The cartridges use the same small pistol primers as 9mm.

That is a good point, it could be light strikes from the firing pin. A small pistol primer is a small pistol primer.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

hovercat wrote:If anyone is having failure to fire in a .25, get thee to a gunsmith. The cartridges use the same small pistol primers as 9mm.
Most of the cheaper .25's have brittle firing pins. If parts of it break off, it could lead to FTFire issues.

But the odds of having to use a BUG are WAY down in the weeds. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the caliber issue. If it were me, I'd look for a more capable caliber. But that's just me. I'm not so worried that I carry a BUG anyway.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

People are so melodramatic. It's just a BACKUP gun people. Globally, most police officers only carry their service pistol without any backup gun. Only a few American police officers optionally (usually not required) carry a BUG. People in the army only carry one rifle. ANY gun is better than no gun. Remember, the first rule of a gunfight....

It is an entirely American mentality to solve problems with technology/equipment instead of better TRAINING. If you can shoot that .25 auto really well, go for it. Train often and consistently. My beef with the .25 auto is that it is very hard to find ammo for it. No ammo = no training. If you have a large hoard of .25 auto and the time to train, then go for it. Otherwise, save up for something better gun down the line.

Let's put it this way, even if you have a 10mm auto and Jerry Miculek or Bob Munden has a .25 auto, I'm willing to bet that they'd beat you in a gunfight.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

drjoker wrote:People are so melodramatic. It's just a BACKUP gun people. Globally, most police officers only carry their service pistol without any backup gun. Only a few American police officers optionally (usually not required) carry a BUG. .

Do you have any data, link, survey or study that supports this statement? I can say of all the cops I know and have in the family and had an opportunity to ask, every one of them carries a BUG.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

mojo84 wrote:
drjoker wrote:People are so melodramatic. It's just a BACKUP gun people. Globally, most police officers only carry their service pistol without any backup gun. Only a few American police officers optionally (usually not required) carry a BUG. .

Do you have any data, link, survey or study that supports this statement? I can say of all the cops I know and have in the family and had an opportunity to ask, every one of them carries a BUG.
It depends on where you are at. Where I used to work, about 1 in 6 carried a BUG on them, while about 1 in 3 carried a BUG in their vehicle. Note: BUG = A second handgun, not including rifle or shotgun. I think that his statement is fairly accurate, and an actual study aught to be hard to come by. Unless asked by a commanding officer, not all would be willing to tell you they have a backup. That's one of those NONYA business kind of questions to some cops. :lol: If there is a study, I'd like to see it, though depending on the state of its origin, it may not accurately reflect Texas cops carrying habits.

This has varied wildly through my experience. I recall one department a couple years ago, where officers were satisfied only having one gun, and nothing in the chamber. About a month ago, I was talking to an officer, and I asked what he had loaded in his .40cal duty gun, and he said the chamber is empty. :???: I asked him why, and he said that he never intends to use it, and that it "risky" having one in the chamber. :lol: I am very surprised to have heard this from an experienced LEO, though I know that some non-leo's that conceal carry don't carry one in the chamber, it is still hard for me to swallow that an officer in uniform doesn't have on in the chamber. :shock:

Back on subject, do you have any pictures of this Baretta .25 auto? I just found one that says "Barettata," and it is chambered in .25, but the magazine is missing. I'm curious as to whether or not it's worth anything. Also found along with it a single shot blank gun made in Itally, with a box full of caps too. It wasn't a 22, it was something odd. I'll have to go home and take some pictures of them both. I also dug up a gun I might open carry while riding around. A nice S&W .357 magnum 6 shooter. I didn't have time to play with it, but it's been in a box since the early 90's. It used to be a duty gun from one of the local PD's before the glock 22 came into the picture. I'll take the glock any day of the week, but it would be nice to find a nice leather home for that 357. :mrgreen:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

No data, but that's why I said, "globally," because most people in this world are very poor. Only you and I are lucky enough to be citizens in a 1st world country, and the best country in the world (IMHO), at that. Most police, globally, cannot afford to buy a BUG. Any gun will have to be issued by their department. Let's put it this way, two 3rd world countries, China and India have about 2/3 of the world's population and their police cannot afford to buy a BUG, so it's safe to say most police globally do not carry a BUG.

My point is that the American attitude is to solve problems with money and technology. That's a good answer most of the time (hey, I'm American), BUT not 100% of the time for 100% of the people. Sometimes, you could do better with better training and not better equipment.

In response to Charles, it doesn't surprise me at all that officers don't carry one in the chamber. Many police in China only carry a baton or cattle prod and no gun at all. Even the ones that have guns are required to turn in their guns at the end of their shift.

Charlies.Contingency

drjoker wrote:In response to Charles, it doesn't surprise me at all that officers don't carry one in the chamber. Many police in China only carry a baton or cattle prod and no gun at all. Even the ones that have guns are required to turn in their guns at the end of their shift.
That's no surprise. Kind of like the UK in a way. It's said watching body cam videos of UK cops battling it out, waiting for a cop with a real gun to show up, while they fight for their lives. :???:

Glad it's not here! I tell you what, I'm not wealthy, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm well armed! :tiphat: :tiphat:

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Well, if I can't laugh at a 25 auto....no one can laugh at my Jimenez .380 then. ;-)

Charlies.Contingency

Countryside wrote:Well, if I can't laugh at a 25 auto....no one can laugh at my Jimenez .380 then. ;-)
Then you can't laugh at my unknown brand .22lr revolver. :lol:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I've never had any, that I know personally, that were reluctant to tell me if they carried one. Where on the other hand I can see being a little more touchy.

dr, it's apparent you are much more worldly than I.
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

HKsig

Post by HKsig »

Countryside wrote:Well, if I can't laugh at a 25 auto....no one can laugh at my Jimenez .380 then. ;-)
I don't think anyone will laugh at my Sig P250c 40sw. :mrgreen:

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
Back on subject, do you have any pictures of this Baretta .25 auto? I just found one that says "Barettata," and it is chambered in .25, but the magazine is missing. I'm curious as to whether or not it's worth anything.
Photo below (sorry about the poor quality - just a quick snapshot). Definitely a Beretta. But made in Brazil, not Italy (or the USA). This one does not have an external safety on it. Does have the "half-cocked" position on the hammer.

I've had it 12 or 13 years now. Never carried it, but I have shot it several times, never had any problem with it. In fact, my son and daughter-in-law and I put a full box of ammo through it this afternoon. Never had any problem. Daughter-in-law loved it, by the way. I think I know where it will go when I'm gone. :lol:

I haven't ever looked into trying to determine what it's worth. It belonged to my grandmother, so I wouldn't sell it. I guess it would be interesting to know what it's worth, though.
Attachments
101_6834e.JPG

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
Then you can't laugh at my unknown brand .22lr revolver. :lol:
I'm laughing at both of you........and the guy with the Raven...... :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”