Question on Shipping a gun within the state of texas...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

grumble
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Question on Shipping a gun within the state of texas...

Post by grumble »

Sent it via LSO "Consumer to Licensee (FFL)" It stinks you have to get a FFL (or two) involved to do something you shouldn't have to.

Thanks for all the help, folks!
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

iflyabeech
Posts in topic: 5

Post by iflyabeech »

wheelgun1958 wrote:Box it up and ship it. FedEx or UPS. I'm not sure about Lone Star Overnight. If an FFL handles it, don't they require a 2243?

:cheers2:

What are you not sure about? We (LSO) will ship to or from an FFL, and with a smile, do it faster and cheaper than UPS or Fedex!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

grumble wrote:Sent it via LSO "Consumer to Licensee (FFL)" It stinks you have to get a FFL (or two) involved to do something you shouldn't have to.

Yep... It get's ridiculous alright. There never seems to be a shortage of folks wanting to add gun laws to the already restrictive laws we have. Whether it be shipping company employees or well intentioned but extremely misguided gun owners requiring copies of DL licenses and such.

So how much did LSO charge...if you don't mind me asking.

grumble
Posts in topic: 7

Post by grumble »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
grumble wrote:Sent it via LSO "Consumer to Licensee (FFL)" It stinks you have to get a FFL (or two) involved to do something you shouldn't have to.

Yep... It get's ridiculous alright. There never seems to be a shortage of folks wanting to add gun laws to the already restrictive laws we have. Whether it be shipping company employees or well intentioned but extremely misguided gun owners requiring copies of DL licenses and such.

Package was 5lbs. From Plano to San Antonio, overnight, delivery by 3PM, insured for $500. $15.70 - ONE THIRD of what UPS wanted. They rock! :anamatedbanana
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

03Lightningrocks

grumble wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

Package was 5lbs. From Plano to San Antonio, overnight, delivery by 3PM, insured for $500. $15.70 - ONE THIRD of what UPS wanted. They rock! :anamatedbanana
Wow... not bad at all. Next time I am shipping through my FFL i will have to get a quote from them. Thanks.

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

You can estimate charges for priority packages here: http://lso.com/rates.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or ground here: http://lso.com/ParcelRates.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shipping via LSO ground will usually get there end of next business day, two days at the latest and our system is structured so that if you need an earlier delivery, you can just upgrade service to what you need.

Via LSO ground service, that $15 would have been $5 or $6!!

We do appreciate your business!

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 3

Re:

Post by Embalmo »

mrvmax wrote:UPS and FedEX will ship it, but you have to go overhight. The costs can be $50 to ship depending on where it is going.
That's what I used to think. If you go to FedEX and say the G word then you are correct. If you take the slide off and get the label online, UPS won't ask any questions and you can get it done for the $15 range. Online is the route to go.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Mike1951

Re: Re:

Post by Mike1951 »

Embalmo wrote:
mrvmax wrote:UPS and FedEX will ship it, but you have to go overhight. The costs can be $50 to ship depending on where it is going.
That's what I used to think. If you go to FedEX and say the G word then you are correct. If you take the slide off and get the label online, UPS won't ask any questions and you can get it done for the $15 range. Online is the route to go.

Embalmo
I'm not saying you can't get away with it, but the frame is a firearm no matter how far you disassemble the firearm.

Federal law requires you to adhere to the shipper's policies. Also, if your shipment was lost in transit, you would have to admit your deception and you would probably not be able to obtain reimbursement from the shipper.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Re:

Post by Embalmo »

Mike1951 wrote:
Embalmo wrote:

Embalmo
I'm not saying you can't get away with it, but the frame is a firearm no matter how far you disassemble the firearm.

Federal law requires you to adhere to the shipper's policies. Also, if your shipment was lost in transit, you would have to admit your deception and you would probably not be able to obtain reimbursement from the shipper.
There is no deception-UPS does not have such a policy, and yes disassembling it does make a difference; at least to the receiving FFL who considers it "parts". What I've been instructed, and I'm too tired to look it up now, is that if they ask, you have to tell them what's inside. UPS never asked me online when I printed the label, or in person when I dropped it off.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

03Lightningrocks

:tiphat:
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

(29) The term "handgun" means—(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.
Therefore, even in pieces, it is still a firearm.
The term "firearm" is defined in section 921(a)(3) to include any weapon which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to
expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of such weapon; any firearm silencer; and any destructive device..
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Grog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grog »

If a receiving FFL thinks I disassembled firearm is not a gun, he's an idiot.

I remember trying to ship two stripped AR lowers at the USPS. Ended up in the postmaster's office where he repeated that it's not allowed and he's not had anyone try in the ten years he's been there. He pulls a dusty 6" thick book off the shelf and I show him right where it says I could ship them to a FFL.

We go back to the lobby and he tells the woman that I can indeed ship the lowers.

Of course, there is a guy in line with an SKS waiting to ship it :roll:

poppo

Post by poppo »

In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm....
As I filled out the on-line shipping form, I said in a very loud voice - 'It's a firearm'. I received no objection, and so I printed the label. :lol:
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

poppo wrote:
In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm....
As I filled out the on-line shipping form, I said in a very loud voice - 'It's a firearm'. I received no objection, and so I printed the label. :lol:
I am sure you will be laughing when the Feds knock on your door!

JNMAR

Post by JNMAR »

poppo wrote:

I'm thinking my wife went to the same school as you did. That's exactly what she does when she's at the shoe store and I'm working. She says, "Well, I told ya and you didn't say anything, so...". :lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”