How many Magazines do you have?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How many Magazines do you have?

Post by maverick2076 »

GlassG19 wrote:I have only 1 Gun- GLOCK 19- therefore I only have & use the GLOCK brand magazines, because I have heard to many stories that any other off brand magazines don't feed that great & are very cheap & aren't worth $.02.
8 TOTAL
4-15 round
4-33 round
& are planning on buying more, you can never have enough.
The Korean ones are pretty much only suitable for range fun (if that), but the Magpul Glock mags are good to go.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OlBill »

It was always a myth. It started with GI mags and a desperate attempt to found a "fix" for lowest bidder crap. GI mags were so bad everything with them is an issue.

Function check rotation is a good idea. It's good to number the mags as well. That way if you are having issues, it is easy to tell if it is always "Mag 8".

Quality magazines are critical to reliability and often scrimped on.

aggie67

Post by aggie67 »

Just one more! :biggrinjester:

curryman

Post by curryman »

My general rule is half the price of the gun I spend on mags, another half goes to ammo.

$500 gun
$250 in mags
$250 in ammo

curryman

Glockedandlocked

Post by Glockedandlocked »

I bought my Glock on the blue label program so it came with 3 17 rd mags, but I bought another one as a backup.

Generally I like to have at least 3 reloads on hand.

Glock is proud of their mags so I am looking as some of the Magpul mags now, want to have the ones on my duty belt with another 4 in my gear bag.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

cbunt1 wrote:Somewhere in the 10 per platform range.

I probably have 40 1911 magazines, since I've been through the whole "purist" progression of using various original-type magazines through to the Wilson Combat magazines. I'm fully Wilson with my 1911's now...

I have been known to have more money tied up in magazines than the gun itself.
Yeppers; with ya...except more than 10 on most platforms.

My 1911 count is about the same as yours, and 95% are Wilson. For IDPA, I shoot a 1911 and a Canyon Creek customized Springer 9mm. I have over the 10-count for the Springer, as well; probably 30..didn't get up to go look. And I have probably 25-30 for my Glocks in 9mm and .40 S&W.

Rifles: about 50, mostly PMags, for 5.56, and about 40--again mostly PMags--for .308.

For magazines, Dremel is your friend. I engrave the baseplate of all my mags with my initials and a unique number. Each mag gets a sequential number; even if I discard earlier numbers, the sequence stays consistent. First, if you drop multiple mags at competition or a training course, you can always identify your own. Second, if a particular mag has issues (bent feed lips, etc.) you can readily ID it and trash it if it can't be repaired.

My most embarrassing training moment was a Farnham advanced class many years ago when a Bushmaster had a FTF that I couldn't clear during the CoF. That sucker was jammed in there right well and tight. Had to release the rifle to its sling and go to pistol as a backup at 50 yards. Wasn't pretty. Even after the CoF, Greg Garrett of Comp-Tac fame looked at the rifle, and together it took us over five minutes and ample elbow grease to clear it. Wasn't the rifle's fault; it was the magazine: a plain-jane, mil-spec. Once Mag-Pull began producing their excellent magazines, I never looked back.

Last, we've seen marketplace run-ups on "normal" capacity magazines in the past when the political clime looks particularly bad for 2A. We went through a stretch not long ago when AR15 mags were not only scarce, but way overpriced when available. As with ammo, I like to have enough on hand. Just ordered five more 25-round .308 PMags last Friday.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

rentz

Post by rentz »

I try to have minimum 4 per platform but with my hk's I'm trying to have more like 6 by purchasing a couple when I find a good sale since you never know when hk mags will suddenly be hard to find

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

More than I care to admit, but just a wild guess without going and counting them would be as follows:

Glock .45 full capacity (13 rounders) - at least a dozen
Glock .45 full capacity (10 rounders) - maybe 3-4 for the G30SF

5.56 PMAGs (30 rounders) - maybe 20, with half still in the plastic
5.56 PMAGs (40 rounders) - maybe 6
5.56 PMAGs (10 rounders) - maybe 1-2

7.62x51 (20 rounders) - maybe 6 (I need to get a couple of 10 rounders for bench shooting.)

M&P15-22 (25 rounders) - maybe 6
M&P15-22 (30-40 rounders, I forget how many they'll hold) - maybe 2

Colt 1911-22 (12 rounders) - maybe 6, those little guys were difficult to find
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

AR-15: 200+ about half are USGI, 90 % of those are black D&H, most of those are still in a box, the other half are various color Pmags, I have a few "try outs" that I have not bought more of. Some Stainless CProducts mags from back when those were all the rage. I own six ARs, so it figures out to 33 mags per rifle.

AK 7.62: 16

Glock 17: 71 - 6 are the new Magpul 9mm. I own six G17s and three G19s,

Glock 19: 27 - 3 are the new magpul

Glock 21: 18

Glock 22: 15

Glock 43: 5 (Just to follow the rule)

Shield: 6 (until I sell it at the next FW gun show)

Ruger LCP: 4 (wife's purse carry)

Beretta 92 Series: 28, mostly Factory, some are Meg-gar 18 rounders. - I no longer own any Berettas. Sold my 92G a few months back, might pick up a G-SD once they come around again, maybe the new M9 A3... I have all of these magazines after all, and a suppressor.

At an absolute bare minimum, you should have five quality magazines per pistol and ten per rifle that takes a magazine.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

psijac wrote:I just bought 3 wilson combat mags for a total of 7. I only own one 1911. I kinda wanna get 5 more mags for my glock 17. I don't ever carry more than 1 spare mag, but having 7 total just seems like the right number. How many mags do you have per gun?
Not enough.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AJSully421 wrote:
At an absolute bare minimum, you should have five quality magazines per pistol and ten per rifle that takes a magazine.
:iagree: Seems like a good rule of thumb!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Lena

Post by Lena »

enough
Last edited by Lena on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Safe

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Most places that have banned normal capacity mags and require crippled capacity mags have grandfathered mags already owned. Just sayin'
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Let's see.... Field & Stream, Freedom, Outdoor Life,.... oh wait! You meant the other kind of magazine! Simple answer. Enough.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

sugar land dave wrote:Let's see.... Field & Stream, Freedom, Outdoor Life,.... oh wait! You meant the other kind of magazine! Simple answer. Enough.

I have a few magazines in the garage that the wife doesn't know about so be cool. :lol::
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”