Anyone Own a Glock 42?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 9

Anyone Own a Glock 42?

Post by Scott in Houston »

I am heavily considering one for pocket carry and/or backup gun.

A couple of years ago, I had a Taurus TCP, but sold it because I didn't find it very reliable even after sending to Taurus for servicing 2x.

I haven't pocket carried since, but I've had a few occasions recently that would have been ideal for pocket carry.

I also like the pocket carry because it's very unassuming to have your hand on your gun in parking lots or gas stations when I think I may need quick access, but it doesn't look like i'm readying myself like it would if I had a gun on my hip.

The Glock 43 is just a tad too large, so I'm considering the 42.
I'd like to hear the thoughts of those who may own one.

PS. I'm not really interested in an alternate. I've considered the P238, LCP, and other competitors, but I'm used to Glock. I want the same functionality and don't want an external safety, etc.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone Own a Glock 42?

Post by John Galt »

Yes. The 42 is just enough smaller than the 43 that it is perfect (for pocket carry) for me.

Munk

Post by Munk »

My 42 fits perfect in my pocket.
III%

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, if I was going to get a .380, the 42 would be it. But I'm not going to get a .380. I love my 43, and compared to the 17 that I carry most days, it is plenty small enough.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

I had one, I loved it so much I gave it away to a good home. I wanted my sister to have a good quality reliable handgun and wanted to encourage her to get her license.

If I primarily carried a Glock or if I didn't have my Sig P938 and my Sig P238 then the Glock 42 would be my #1 choice for a BUG or for use when I can only have a "Discreet Carry" pistol. For me staying consistent with my platform of choice is more critical than the roll mark on the gun so a 1911 carried IWB is my primary and a down-sized version in the pocket as a BUG.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I've got one... love it. It's right on the edge of too big for pocket carry (for me) but it works great.

I also appendix carry it sometimes in a Blackhawk ARC. Works great there and my draw is under a second, which is way faster than from the pocket.

I didn't shoot it well for a while, but then one day at the range it just "clicked" and I was suddenly able to shoot it almost as quickly and accurately as my full size pistols. It definitely has a better trigger than my LCP or CM9. I've also had zero malfunctions so far.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, the platform is the main reason I'm considering it over an LCP or P238. I like both of those guns… the P238 is probably the best shooting gun and the LCP is the best bang for the buck, but the G42 is the same platform as my daily carries (G19 or G26). It's almost as good a shooter as the P238 and probably better than the LCP… so priced right.

rentz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rentz »

I guess I will be the voice of dissent here, I didn't like it.
It was plenty small and light enough for pocket carry (smaller than my pm9)
But I could not hit the broadside of a barn with it for some reason and it seemed finicky on ammo. I found the trigger while shorter then most glocks was much heavier which I wasn't w fan of

But as far as size for pocket carry, that part was perfect

Napier

Post by Napier »

Get a two round mag extender from Strike Industries and a two mag IWB holder from Crossbreed and this is a fab summer carry bad boy! The break point between permanent deafness and tolerable lifelong ringing (whatja say, hun?) is at 380 vs 9mm. Trust me, I know.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Napier wrote:Get a two round mag extender from Strike Industries and a two mag IWB holder from Crossbreed and this is a fab summer carry bad boy! The break point between permanent deafness and tolerable lifelong ringing (whatja say, hun?) is at 380 vs 9mm. Trust me, I know.
Ha. I'm hoping I never have to hear it without ear protection.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

rentz wrote:I guess I will be the voice of dissent here, I didn't like it.
But I could not hit the broadside of a barn with it for some reason and it seemed finicky on ammo. I found the trigger while shorter then most glocks was much heavier which I wasn't w fan of

I've never heard of a Glock that wouldn't eat pretty much all ammo. Interesting.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have one for wife and one I let students (small handed) use. The 42 shoots well at all distances for proficiency tests, no one has failed with it yet.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rentz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rentz »

Scott in Houston wrote:

I've never heard of a Glock that wouldn't eat pretty much all ammo. Interesting.
Yeah I thought it was just me but did some digging and several reported the same thing....but then a lot of people say zero issues
Might have been the early runs who knows

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rentz wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:

Yeah I thought it was just me but did some digging and several reported the same thing....but then a lot of people say zero issues
Might have been the early runs who knows
It is my observation that .380 pistols are more prone to being finicky that way than 9mm and up. I'm not saying that they are all unreliable, but I do think you have to spend more effort on finding the load that will work well in any given .380. I've owned two different .380s to date - a Colt Government, and a Kel-Tec P3AT, and both worked better with some loads than others......whereas all of my 9mm and .45ACP pistols will eat whatever you feed them with complete composure. Also, my experience has been that .380 pistols are more susceptible to malfunctions caused by limp-wristing.

This is just my experience, but those factors along with not having as much faith in the caliber itself are why I don't carry one anymore. As always, YMMV.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

I will say that mine didn't like the hornady critical defense, but that could be because that stuff has an eraser instead of a cavity.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”