Anyone Own a S&W Bodyguard w/CT Laser?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 5

Anyone Own a S&W Bodyguard w/CT Laser?

Post by G26ster »

Thinking seriously about the S&W Bodyguard w/CT Laser (semi-auto) for pocket carry. I handled one without the laser locally and liked it, but have not shot one. I prefer the one with the built in CT laser, so just looking for impressions from someone that owns one, and most importantly, has fired it.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Anyone Own a S&W Bodyguard w/CT Laser?

Post by suthdj »

Yep got one for sale in fact, trigger is to hard for the wife.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

What are your shooting impressions? I'm in the DFW area also, so how much are you asking? Trigger seemed fairly light to me though on the one I dry fired.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I have one of the older ones with the Insight laser and I carry it frequently. DAO triggers are not my favorite, and this one is no exception -- however, though the trigger pull is heavyish and LONG (it make you wonder if something is broken before the sear breaks) it is very smooth and doesn't really stack, weight-wise. Therefore, I can't say that I like the trigger a lot but I do find the gun reasonably shootable.

I put about 50 rounds through mine last weekend moving and shooting a couple of scenarios on a dynamic range between runs with an MSR. Shot well, but those six-round magazines run dry pretty quick when you are used to the full-size M&P9 17-rounders. Extra reload practice, though. One thing did happen which I did take a bit of comfort in given the small magazines. I had two instances of primers which did not ignite on the first strike, but they did on the second. DAO can be handy in those cases, I guess.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

I had one, its a typical DAO, but predictable. Very small frame but manageable since its .380. I got rid of mine to move off .380 but it was great companion. I wore it with gym shorts undetected all day. The laser was hard to activate but i got one of the first ones, may have been an insight. There was DIY ways to correct it but to be honest, it wasn't so easy to use that I saw using it an advantage in a quick draw situation. I never practiced with the laser since I didn't think id ever use it.

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Thanks guys. I've owned a DB380 with a long trigger pull, so I'm used to that. As for the laser, in quick draw normal stance, no way. But if you in an odd position, or there are obstacles to getting a good sight picture, a laser that can be activated is a plus.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

G26ster wrote:What are your shooting impressions? I'm in the DFW area also, so how much are you asking? Trigger seemed fairly light to me though on the one I dry fired.
It is almost new only 12 rounds, like others have said long hard pull but shot nice. If you want to give it a try let me know an we can meet somewhere.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79701
21-Apr-09 filed online

Steve5115

Post by Steve5115 »

G26ster wrote:Thinking seriously about the S&W Bodyguard w/CT Laser (semi-auto) for pocket carry. I handled one without the laser locally and liked it, but have not shot one. I prefer the one with the built in CT laser, so just looking for impressions from someone that owns one, and most importantly, has fired it.
I absolutely love mine! It is my EDC.

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

suthdj wrote:
G26ster wrote:What are your shooting impressions? I'm in the DFW area also, so how much are you asking? Trigger seemed fairly light to me though on the one I dry fired.
It is almost new only 12 rounds, like others have said long hard pull but shot nice. If you want to give it a try let me know an we can meet somewhere.

Thanks Suthdj. I'm not quite ready to buy, but when I am, I will PM you.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

G26ster wrote:
suthdj wrote:

Thanks Suthdj. I'm not quite ready to buy, but when I am, I will PM you.
Not a problem.
21-Apr-09 filed online

rotor

Post by rotor »

Middle Age Russ wrote:I have one of the older ones with the Insight laser and I carry it frequently. DAO triggers are not my favorite, and this one is no exception -- however, though the trigger pull is heavyish and LONG (it make you wonder if something is broken before the sear breaks) it is very smooth and doesn't really stack, weight-wise. Therefore, I can't say that I like the trigger a lot but I do find the gun reasonably shootable.

I put about 50 rounds through mine last weekend moving and shooting a couple of scenarios on a dynamic range last weekend between runs with an MSR. Shot well, but those six-round magazines run dry pretty quick when you are used to the full-size M&P9 17-rounders. Extra reload practice, though. One thing did happen which I did take a bit of comfort in given the small magazines. I had two instances of primers which did not ignite on the first strike, but they did on the second. DAO can be handy in those cases, I guess.
:iagree: Mine is the same. Easy gun to maintain. Trigger is as noted but that is designed that way. Has shot everything it was fed and never jammed.

function12

Post by function12 »

I have one and pocket carried for a while in a recluse holster. Laser is almost useless in the day time. The tigger is very very very long. I have since switch to a g43 for a pocket carry and will never go back to the BG. It will just sit in the safe.
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

NordicTexan

Post by NordicTexan »

I have one, lots of rounds thru it. It's snappy but manageable.

I put white paint on the front sight, as all black was too hard for me too see.

After a couple of years the cover on my laser, just under the barrel became detached. It would prevent the gun from cycling. Called Customer service and they sent me out a new laser in a jiffy. I find I don't really ever use the laser but it's nice to have. And S&W was great to deal with
NRA,
Sons of the American Revolution
Go Vandy

ttownsig

Post by ttownsig »

Got one and carry it when wearing shorts or wind pants. It is very easy to conceal

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Well, I got a decent deal on a new M&P Bodyguard today w/o the CT Laser. When I found that the LG-454 CT laser was available, I figured I could add it later. I like the add on CT vs. the built on CT laser, as the add on CT had the grip activation rather than having to depress a button on the slide. In the heat of the moment, I'd rather not have to feel for a button if I don't have to, and some of my other guns have a similar laser so I'm quite used to it. I'm also looking to possibly add on Big Dot Express sights (they also serve as night sights), as the Bodyguard sights are unmarked and hard to see on a dark background. Or, I can hope all the BG's I might encounter are wearing white T-shirts. Or, I can just paint the upper part of the front sight white.

The other benefit is that the gun is so light, I found I could comfortably and safely carry it at 3:30 or 4:00, and draw, on my normal stretch belt just fine. No need for a pocket holster as I thought I would need after my surgery, as I can't wear a stiff belt anymore. It fits in my former P238 w/laser Galco Stinger holster great. Hopefully, I'll be on the range with it Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks to all of you that responded to my post!! :cheers2:

But the really, really, really best news is that in 16 days, according to my latest tests, I'll be one year cancer free! :thumbsup:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”