Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Tennessee Adopts Barrett .50 as Official Rifle

Post by ELB »

Tennessee names the Barrett .50 caliber as the state's official rifle

The linked article pretty much restricts itself to announcing the...er...announcement, and giving the reasons why the modern Barrett rifle was chosen over more traditional rifles. Refreshingly does not feel the need to include a quote by a nannybloomer.

It mentions seven other states have official firearms of some sort, but only names Pennsylvania ("The Long Rifle") and Indiana ("The Grouseland Rifle"). I recall that Utah was first with naming the 1911 as a state symbol.

To my knowledge, Texas does not have an official state firearm. WildBill mentioned yesterday that the Colt revolver was patented on 25 Feb 1836 and that Texas was an early adopter of his inventions.. A couple or three years ago there was a group, or at least someone, advocating for Texas to adopt the Walker Colt as the official gun of Texas via a Facebook page, but doesn't look like they've been active lately.

I would rather the Legislature pass HB 308 (or whatever bill it will be reincarnated as in the new Legislature) first, but as along as we time to designate the Official State Flying Mammal or the Official State Molecule, or even the Official State Tartan, seems like we could squeeze a gun or two in after the important bill gets passed. Just to irritate the antis.

The Walker Colt is a good idea for an official revolver, but we should have an official state firearm with a hi cap magazine and a shoulder thing that goes up. :evil2:
USAF 1982-2005

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tennessee Adopts Barrett .50 as Official Rifle

Post by joe817 »

:smilelol5: :lol: "rlol" "..... but we should have an official state firearm with a hi cap magazine and a shoulder thing that goes up." Classic!

But I agree, we DO need a state firearm. The Walker is a great idea.

Here's a thought. Start a poll listing 5, 6 or 7 guns you could vote for. Walker is one. How about Texas made guns? Like STI? Or Bond Arms?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

joe817 wrote::smilelol5: :lol: "rlol" "..... but we should have an official state firearm with a hi cap magazine and a shoulder thing that goes up." Classic!

Here's a thought. Start a poll listing 5, 6 or 7 guns you could vote for. Walker is one. How about Texas made guns? Like STI? Or Bond Arms?
How about a state rifle from LaRue of Leander? http://www.larue.com/predatobr-762?sort=popular
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812

Post by jason812 »

joe817 wrote::smilelol5: :lol: "rlol" "..... but we should have an official state firearm with a hi cap magazine and a shoulder thing that goes up." Classic!

To make a point to the feds, it should be a full auto, suppressed SBR.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

And cerakoted the richest of rich black shades.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Walker Colt has my vote it was carried by the Texas Rangers. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

An official State SBR & Can would be a nice touch, along with a requirement that all Texans can own one without being ripped off by the ATF and Federal Government.

:txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

misterlarry wrote:An official State SBR & Can would be a nice touch, along with a requirement that all Texans can own one without being ripped off by the ATF and Federal Government.

:txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
I'm just banking on the second half of your post!

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

The suggestion for a canned SBR is a really good suggestion (along with a LCM and STTGU).

One of the key components of the positive decision in Kolbe v Maryland allowing a suit to challenge Maryland's ban on black rifles was the fact that ARs and AKs are pretty common now. The way to show a firearm or weapon is in common use is to have lots of them.

I'd still go with the Walker Colt or something similarly traditional for an Official State Handgun, but having a short-barreled rifle with a suppressor, 30 rd mag, collapsible stock, iron and optical sights as State Symbol would be a great modern advertisement for "common use."

Suppressors are building up their own head of steam with legalization of their use in hunting and lots of enthusiasts getting them as well. Lot of people getting SBRs too, altho I think that lags behind suppressors. Designating an Official State SBR would help goose this -- people in and outside of Texas would buy them just to have one.

But in any case, we need to keep normalizing these things. That's why the enemies of the 2A and individual freedom and reflexively oppose any change in law or technology that advances the 2A -- it's not about safety, they could care less, it is about the culture, about the normalization or demonization of firearms and other weapons and the people who value them.
USAF 1982-2005

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Back to the OP...this make me proud to be a VOL Texan.

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

The State Rifle of Tennessee should be a 19th Century muzzle loading long barreled squirrel rifle.
IMHO
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”