Glock with identity issue

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MustangGlocker
Posts in topic: 7

Glock with identity issue

Post by MustangGlocker »

I have a question that's been in the back of my mind for a while. Would it be hard for me to sell a Glock 32(.357SIG) that has a factory Glock .40 barrel? Somehow I've misplaced the original .357SIG barrel so it'll likely be forever a converted gun.

I guess my main concern is that the serial numbers on the frame and the barrel don't match. And don't worry, this is not a tree shaking pending for sale post. I still have several thousand .40 rounds I need to shoot before ever considering selling the gun. :fire

Thanks! :tiphat:
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Glock with identity issue

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I think that the only serial number that matters is the one on the frame.....unless the .40 barrel came out of another pistol, and even then I'm not sure it matters. If you wore out the original .357 sig barrel and replaced it with another Glock factory .357 sig barrel, you'd be in the same boat and it wouldn't matter then, other than whatever impact a barrel non-original to that gun would have on its resale value.

Consider this: you have a M&P15 AR in 5.56, and you buy a new upper for it in .300 Blackout. Then you keep the 5.56 upper and sell the original lower with the .300 upper. No crime has been committed. Nobody cares. If ATF is involved because you transferred the weapon through an FFL, all they care about is the serial number and description of the gun - meaning that the description isn't an SBR or some other NFA controlled item. They don't care that the caliber doesn't match how it left the factory.

I'm pretty sure that would apply to your Glock pistol as well.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

Thanks TAM. That's what I kinda figured but wanted to poll the community. The barrel was purchased as a stand alone replacement barrel from a Glock dealer so it has a unique serial number that's a different format than the pistol.

After sitting here thinking some more about it, I've seen several Glocks for sale over the years with aftermarket barrels(Bar-Sto, Lone Wolf, etc) so I guess the factory replacement shouldn't really play a factor. This is what happens when I post a question after only 1 cup of coffee. :sleep
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

I think that TAM is correct. Based on the number of SKS/Nagant/other imports that advertise matching serial numbers or non-matching serial numbers, the issue is resale value. The Glock frame serial is the key.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

MustangGlocker wrote:This is what happens when I post a question after only 1 cup of coffee. :sleep
Story of my life. Although I choose Mt. Dew as my poison.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CleverNickname »

Legally you're in the clear. Some buyers might be a bit picky about having all matching serial numbers, but that's just them being picky.

The Annoyed Man

CleverNickname wrote:Legally you're in the clear. Some buyers might be a bit picky about having all matching serial numbers, but that's just them being picky.
Exactly. I'm going to be replacing my G17 and G19 OEM barrels with threaded barrels, as I have another suppressor build in mind.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

goose wrote:
MustangGlocker wrote:This is what happens when I post a question after only 1 cup of coffee. :sleep
Story of my life. Although I choose Mt. Dew as my poison.
I used to do a Mt Dew IV on a daily basis. As the years progressed, just couldn't handle them anymore. I do miss the taste though.

CleverNickname wrote:Legally you're in the clear. Some buyers might be a bit picky about having all matching serial numbers, but that's just them being picky.
Hopefully when/if the time comes, I won't run into the picky ones. I know I wouldn't be too picky provided it's as reliable as it was from the factory.

I just took a glance at .357sig ammo and found some that was very reasonably priced. Almost makes me want to pick up a new .357sig barrel. I haven't priced ammo in that caliber for several years. That was a fun caliber to throw downrange. I've been strictly a 9mm and .40 shooter in recent years. Decisions....
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

Topic author
MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Exactly. I'm going to be replacing my G17 and G19 OEM barrels with threaded barrels, as I have another suppressor build in mind.

Yep, I'm a jealous man. I've never been able to justify the cost to get a suppressor. Long time ago, I had a USP 9 that I was itching to get a threaded barrel and suppressor but sold that gun as it was my only pistol at the time and was way too big to conceal carry. One of 3 pistols I regret selling. C'est la vie.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

Topic author
MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

AndyC wrote:
MustangGlocker wrote:I've never been able to justify the cost to get a suppressor
Same here - TAM and I were in the same boat until we discovered how to make our own.

You still have to pay the $200 tax-stamp, of course, but the suppressor parts are only around $150 (varies a lot depending on size, materials wanted/needed, etc). You seem local to DFW too, so keep us in mind if you ever want to investigate things further.

I live, work and play in Tarrant County. I can definitely justify that cost, of course would need a threaded barrel for my Glock 19. I will absolutely keep y'all in mind. That would be fun to learn how to build one. I'm off to price threaded barrels.

Now speaking of suppressors, I've read something about laws changing in the next few months that even if you have a trust the chief still has to sign off on the paperwork. Is that correct and if so, anyone know if Arlington's chief is willing?
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

transcaliber Glock? "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

Sell the .40 barrel and all its paraphernalia and buy a threaded .357 barrel :biggrinjester:
The .357sig has won my hart, I recently bought a gen 3 G32 and really enjoy it. (My Very First Glock :banghead: )
If you shop around ammo is not horribly priced.

The Annoyed Man

MustangGlocker wrote:
AndyC wrote:
MustangGlocker wrote:I've never been able to justify the cost to get a suppressor
Same here - TAM and I were in the same boat until we discovered how to make our own.

You still have to pay the $200 tax-stamp, of course, but the suppressor parts are only around $150 (varies a lot depending on size, materials wanted/needed, etc). You seem local to DFW too, so keep us in mind if you ever want to investigate things further.

I live, work and play in Tarrant County. I can definitely justify that cost, of course would need a threaded barrel for my Glock 19. I will absolutely keep y'all in mind. That would be fun to learn how to build one. I'm off to price threaded barrels.

Now speaking of suppressors, I've read something about laws changing in the next few months that even if you have a trust the chief still has to sign off on the paperwork. Is that correct and if so, anyone know if Arlington's chief is willing?
If you have a trust, no chief sign-off is necessary. What is changing is that, once the new rules (41P) go into effect on July 13, 2016, CLEO sign-off will no longer be necessary for anyone who does not have a trust. HOWEVER, all non-trust NFA purchases will require CLEO notification. Any purchases made by Trusts after July 13, 2016 will require ALL trustees on the trust to submit a passport photo and fingerprints. These photos/prints will be good for two years and will cover any purchases made by any trustees during that two years. Then they expire, and any new purchases will require submission of another set of photos/prints for all trustees.

At that point, the principle advantages of a trust are: (1) an umbrella under which multiple people can make NFA purchases so long as they are carried as trustees under the trust, and (2) the inheritability of NFA items owned by the trust without involving an NFA transfer on the death of the settlor.

Here's what the law firm of Toronjo & Prosser says about NFA trusts (they are who I used to set up my multigenerational trust):
http://www.t-plaw.com/about-nfa-trusts.html
  • Trusts are private - Trusts are not filed with any Federal, State, or local governments. They are not required to file yearly accounting statements, disclose assets, or disclose the trustees or beneficiaries of the trust.
  • Trusts allow the assets to pass to you beneficiaries outside of probate - When you pass all of your property must be distributed through a legal process known as probate. This requires an inventory of all of your personal property to be filed in the court records, which are public records. It also creates a high degree of liability for your executor to ensure that they properly transfer the NFA items in accordance with State and Federal law. Your Gun Trust should be set up to address the distribution of the NFA assets after your death so that they do not pass through probate and therefore never become public.
  • Gun Trusts Allow You to Protect Your Collection - Gun trusts can be set up in such a manner that it allows you to protect your entire firearms collection, not just NFA items, from seizure by your creditors and the creditors of your beneficiaries. This ensures that the collection is preserved for the future generations of your family to use and enjoy.
  • Gun Trusts Allows Multiple Authorized Users - Multiple users authorized under the gun trust can use and possess the NFA items without committing a felony. If you are married and you purchase a suppressor as an individual, you alone are allowed to have possession and control of that suppressor. If you leave it accessible in the home or in the car and your spouse has access to it, they may be prosecuted for “constructive possession” of a firearm, which is a felony. By having your spouse and close family and friends as trustees on your gun trust you avoid that problem entirely since everyone listed will be allowed to have control and possession of the NFA item.
Back to the regularly scheduled thread........

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

Ah ha. I'm such a NFA rookie that I completely mis-read the new rules. Thanks for clearing it up. I had always had in the back of my mind to do a trust anyway. My research has begun on suppressors. Thanks guys.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”