Glock Magazines

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock Magazines

Post by ELB »

This:
bulletslap wrote:The original Glock Magazines were not "drop free", this slight protruding of the magazine probably allowed for a more secure grip in order to pull the magazine out, and continued as a vestige of this practice.
Maybe even this too:
AJSully421 wrote:It also helps if the mag is all muddy that you can insert it and there will be a small area for debris to sit without causing a problem.
The G17 was designed for the Austrian military, and they clearly had a different philosophy about magazine change procedures. I bought a G17 in about 1993 or so, and all the mags stayed in the gun until pulled out. Made my mag changes a little slower in shooting courses, but then I had lot more bullets than everyone else so didn't have to change as often. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

bulletslap wrote:The original Glock Magazines were not "drop free", this slight protruding of the magazine probably allowed for a more secure grip in order to pull the magazine out, and continued as a vestige of this practice.
^^This. They probably left the design as-is because it's easier to rip the current mag out in the case of a malfunction. On a Glock, you can get a good grip on the seated mag from just about any angle. On my M&Ps & my 1911, I have to search for the little front tab that extends ever so slightly from the front of the grip - which usually requires me to move the pinky of my shooting hand.

As a rule, Glock favors function over form. So they won't ever win a beauty contest. But you'll be able to beat the snot out of them and they'll still run like a champ.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

remington79

Post by remington79 »

I like how the mag sticks out a little and the cut out on the back in case you need to rip the mag out. We practiced clearing double feeds and you have to yank those mags out. The original Glock mags were made to not drop out. It was done on purpose. Later they made the mags with the steel liner that keeps the polymer in place and lets them drop out. I know I'm in the minority but I think Glocks and other duty pistols look good.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Topic author
Dannyboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dannyboy »

So what is that pistol? Walther? Springfield? The one with the laser posted above.

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

It appears to be a Glock 19 (could be a G17), with a G18 mag and streamlight flashlight I do not believe the TR1 comes with a laser. Sorry to disappoint

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

For carry purposes I still rely on the non-drop free mags, as I believe the chance of accidentally hitting the mag release in a crisis is greater than the possibility of a Tactical Reload being required; I also prefer a heel release magazine weapon for the same reason. My ideas are definitely out of fashion however.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

bulletslap wrote:I also prefer a heel release magazine weapon for the same reason. My ideas are definitely out of fashion however.
My always-with BUG is a Seecamp L32. Out of fashion or not, I'd rather have a tiny all-steel dispenser of copper-plated lead than have no firearm at all.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

I have 4 Glock Gen 4s. I use my G22 & G17 in compotition. I carry my G23.
I have had no problems with the mags. If you do have a jam that won't clear it's easy to rip the mag out. I love Glocks. The mags do have some spacing when seated. It a mater of what you want.
it good to investigate & get the gun you really like. :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

I estimate the overwhelming majority of malfunctions of a semiautomatic could be cleared with a reload. If I were iñstructing a new shooter I would concentrate on teaching a reload before moving on to other clearing drills.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Most Glock models will have the magazines base plate slightly protruding from the the grip. Just how it is. The only models with truly flush magazines are the sub compacts like the Glock 26 or 43.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”