Colt Gold Cup Trophy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

Colt Gold Cup Trophy

Post by parabelum »

I was looking at one and while I'm Glock guy, this is one fine piece!

I'm not too familiar with Gold Cup aside from it's a series 80 Colt :???:

This one is from mid '90's and pristine.

Any advice? Is this a good model? Pro's/Con's...

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Colt Gold Cup Trophy

Post by Pawpaw »

I don't have any experience with Gold Cups, but this may help:

search.php?keywords=gold+cup&terms=all& ... mit=Search
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Thank you sir. :tiphat:

Once again, I failed to search first! :banghead:

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I have itched for quite awhile for a nice 1911, but I had to either sell some of the insane Arsenal I acquired over the years first, or work out a decent trade deal.

I think based on everything I've read up on these, I am going for it. Has only one small idiot mark (not a scratch really, barely noticible), one owner who said that he fired it very little, and from the looks of it I don't distrust him.

Original box, papers, and four 8 rd mags, three 7 rd mags.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

That's a beauty!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Very nice, but I'm a bit biased since I also picked up my first 1911, a GC Trophy only a few weeks ago. I was under the impression that the Trophy's were now only available in stainless steel, while the National Match models were like your Trophy. Mine is stainless. I'm not sure which I prefer, but probably would have gotten the one like yours if I had a choice.

Here's my little thread on mine. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84165

I also notice that yours does not have the wrap around hogue grips like what mine came with. I will be checking out the Big Town Gun Show next weekend looking for some different grips to try out. I'm not sure I like the wrap around ones.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

C-dub wrote:Very nice, but I'm a bit biased since I also picked up my first 1911, a GC Trophy only a few weeks ago. I was under the impression that the Trophy's were now only available in stainless steel, while the National Match models were like your Trophy. Mine is stainless. I'm not sure which I prefer, but probably would have gotten the one like yours if I had a choice.

Here's my little thread on mine. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84165

I also notice that yours does not have the wrap around hogue grips like what mine came with. I will be checking out the Big Town Gun Show next weekend looking for some different grips to try out. I'm not sure I like the wrap around ones.
Thank you!

This one is a 90's model. I must confess I couldn't stop looking at it and holding it. I still love Glocks, but man, this is like a Cadillac :mrgreen:

Steve
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Steve »

Gold Cups are supposed to be one of the nicer lines of 1911's from Colt. They hold their value well too. There just something about owning a 1911 from the original manufacturer.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Steve wrote:Gold Cups are supposed to be one of the nicer lines of 1911's from Colt. They hold their value well too. There just something about owning a 1911 from the original manufacturer.
That's pretty much why I couldn't resist any longer.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

There are a lot of beautiful 1911's and I couldn't make up my mind. I always wanted one from WWII to go along with other WWII rifles I have. I still do, but also still can't afford one of those yet. When I discovered the Colt Trophy and National Match models I knew one of them would be my first one. Price wise, it is kind of in the middle of all 1911's, so that was doable for me at this time.

Parabelum, the first time I took mine to the range it outshot the snot out of my Glock and I thought I was doing okay with that. I'm still getting used to it and think I have the sights adjusted to where I want them. I hope you'll let us know how yours does.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warnmar10 »

C-dub wrote:... the first time I took mine to the range it outshot the snot out of ...
That was my experience too, still is in fact.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I plan on taking it out this weekend. Weather will be nice so it should be a great day. I'll take g30 and run few boxes thru each.
It just feels so good in my hands, very natural and well balanced.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”