Academy and Buying Ammo and carded?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TeachMan2016
Posts in topic: 3

Academy and Buying Ammo and carded?

Post by TeachMan2016 »

In the wake of the mass shooting in Orlando, and all the anti-gun people screaming for banning of assault rifles I recently purchased an AR15 (Ruger's AR 556). I did not buy any ammo at the store I purchased from as I like to buy ammo from Academy because they have really good sales. Many times I have bought ammo and went about my day. Today I purchased SEVEN boxes of 20 rounds of ammo for the AR15. The guy checking me out looked a little nervous and kept counting the boxes (it's only 7 dude). He then asked me for my ID and wrote down my info. on a note card...I asked for what, and he proceeds to tell me " It's a federal law thing." I'm pretty suave on knowing gun laws for the most part, yet this one I had not heard of....Did this kid just yank my chain because of the recent shootings, or is there a federal policy I don't know about?

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Academy and Buying Ammo and carded?

Post by rotor »

Do you look like you might be under 21?

Topic author
TeachMan2016

Post by TeachMan2016 »

rotor wrote:Do you look like you might be under 21?

No, I usually look much older than I actually am...I've also went in that store numerous times to buy large amounts of ammo (more than the 140 rounds today).

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

I'd have asked for chapter and verse. The only time they might need your ID for ammunition purchases is to verify age on ammunition that can be used in handguns. Personally, I'd have refused to cooperate, and found a different place to buy.
NRA lifetime member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

I remember before FOPA (1986) the store had to keep a log of ammo sold, name and ID#. Since that hasn't been the case for 30 years now, I'd say the guy at Academy was full of it...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I bought approximately the same amount of 5.56 ammo at Academy last week,( I think I just bought 6 boxes) and there was no request for ID or anything else other than the required currency to pay for it. Either it's a new store policy, he was new and did not know the law, or he was just being a jerk.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

Various shooting blogs are reporting a new sporting rifle and their ammo policy. Don't know if calling people names is going to help, perhaps a Google search on if they've instituted a new policy or if it's just a rumor?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

16Adams wrote:Various shooting blogs are reporting a new sporting rifle and their ammo policy. Don't know if calling people names is going to help, perhaps a Google search on if they've instituted a new policy or if it's just a rumor?
Check Academy off of my list of places to do business with if they are instituting a new policy.... :mad5

It's a shame because they've got very good prices on guns and I shop there a lot. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Jusme wrote:I bought approximately the same amount of 5.56 ammo at Academy last week,( I think I just bought 6 boxes) and there was no request for ID or anything else other than the required currency to pay for it. Either it's a new store policy, he was new and did not know the law, or he was just being a jerk.
I'd lean toward store policy/knee-jerk reaction.
NRA lifetime member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I was only buying a box of .22 lr, but was in there Sunday afternoon and wasn't carded for buying that box of ammo. Saw a few other people buying ammo of various types and didn't see anyone carded. If I was in a hurry I'd set it down and walk away. If not in a hurry I would want to speak to a manager.
NRA Benefactor Member

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

ScottDLS wrote:
16Adams wrote:Various shooting blogs are reporting a new sporting rifle and their ammo policy. Don't know if calling people names is going to help, perhaps a Google search on if they've instituted a new policy or if it's just a rumor?
Check Academy off of my list of places to do business with if they are instituting a new policy.... :mad5

It's a shame because they've got very good prices on guns and I shop there a lot. :???:
:iagree: completely agree. I go there all the time to check on ammo prices and to just look around with the family. Would be ashame for it to be ruined because of this.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

Its never a bad day for me to buy ammo, and I have enough different calibers there is always a good deal on one or another. I'll go to the Killeen Academy tomorrow after class and buy a few hundred rounds of something and see what's up.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

I can't find anything official from Academy. I'm not going to believe it till I can stop in and see for myself.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

What is the objection to producing ID?

You have to show ID to vote, after all.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

JALLEN wrote:What is the objection to producing ID?

You have to show ID to vote, after all.
Think it was more the guy writing it down on a piece of paper and keeping it.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”