Ok, I'm calling it - the Panic of 2016 is on

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

earlwb
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ok, I'm calling it - the Panic of 2016 is on

Post by earlwb »

I figure if there is a ban on assault guns, we'll have a lot of civil disobedience just like what happened with the alcohol prohibition in the 1920's. It automatically creates a black market with rampant smuggling, etc. heck the previous assault weapon ban in the 1990's didn't work either. But it makes criminals out of millions of citizens. The government would have your friends and neighbors turning you in too.

But if the government gets nasty about it, then they will have the police and military start neighborhood sweeps without search warrants. The police and military have turned on unarmed and armed civilians in the past, so there is already a precedent for it. A lot of people could die in the process.

But the prices have started going up in some places. One store had some AR 15 lowers for like $99.99 each. They are all gone now and the prices if you order them are around $249.99 now. I would not be surprised to see magazine prices going up too.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

earlwb wrote:I figure if there is a ban on assault guns, we'll have a lot of civil disobedience just like what happened with the alcohol prohibition in the 1920's. It automatically creates a black market with rampant smuggling, etc. heck the previous assault weapon ban in the 1990's didn't work either. But it makes criminals out of millions of citizens. The government would have your friends and neighbors turning you in too.
I don't think I agree with this. Any "assault" weapons ban would ban them going forward. Not retroactively. Do I have that wrong historically?
Basically guns get divided up into pre-ban and post-ban. All the pre-ban guns in our collections would see massive appreciation. Yea, you couldn't buy a new AR lower going forward, but the existing lowers become substantially move valuable.

Prohibition was different, especially since you could make booze in your backyard or bathtub.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

cb1000rider wrote:
earlwb wrote:I figure if there is a ban on assault guns, we'll have a lot of civil disobedience just like what happened with the alcohol prohibition in the 1920's. It automatically creates a black market with rampant smuggling, etc. heck the previous assault weapon ban in the 1990's didn't work either. But it makes criminals out of millions of citizens. The government would have your friends and neighbors turning you in too.
I don't think I agree with this. Any "assault" weapons ban would ban them going forward. Not retroactively. Do I have that wrong historically?
Basically guns get divided up into pre-ban and post-ban. All the pre-ban guns in our collections would see massive appreciation. Yea, you couldn't buy a new AR lower going forward, but the existing lowers become substantially move valuable.

Prohibition was different, especially since you could make booze in your backyard or bathtub.
I wonder how a ban would affect 80% lowers.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LSUTiger »

AndyC wrote:Yep - shortages happen when people believe there will be one and end up causing it. I sure hope I'm wrong and would be delighted if I am - I'm glad the Dems' push failed, but this is just the first hurdle so I'm sure not relaxing.
:iagree: Words of wisdom.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Skiprr wrote:
AndyC wrote:Got 1,000 rounds of AK JHP ammo yesterday at my door - today my email has exploded from all the orders that are being shipped
I ordered 1,000 rounds of 5.56 from Freedom Munitions. Don't need it. Probably won't shoot it in the next five years. But I'll have it...stacked on top of my other ammo cans.
I work very near to the FM Jersey Village store. I have to resist temptation daily to buy ammo.You guys are making it hard for me to resist.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

AndyC wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Reports Of Gun Sales Surging Confirmed

It looks like Fox News is confirming that gun sales have increased dramatically. Reporter Nick Giampia interviewed gun store owner Jay Wallace about the recent surge where Wallace made the claim that they are selling more than 15 rifles per hour. Wallace was also quoted as saying sales have “really kicked up”.

Fox also reports in a separate article that sales among the LGBT community is also on the rise. Given the recent blow to the LGBT community I am really glad to see more people becoming interested in firearms. Fox also spoke with a national gun club with strong roots in the LGBT community, The Pink Pistols, who saw its membership more than double in one day.
I'm active on the Pink Pistols page - and man, are these guys and gals serious! Discussions on firearms, calibers, SD bullets, training and a LOT of 2A politics - I'm hugely impressed; it's like hanging out on any gun-board and they are NOT going to let any politician get away with trampling on their 2A rights.
Honestly, it's always refreshing to find common ground on such an important issue such as the 2A with those whom you would not otherwise think you have any thing in common with.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

LSUTiger wrote: Honestly, it's always refreshing to find common ground on such an important issue such as the 2A with those whom you would not otherwise think you have any thing in common with.
Yes, it's a good thing to remember.. There are those who have different ways of living that we have common voting interests with. Just because they don't fall into the conservative bucket doesn't mean that they have different 2nd amendment interests.

I will say that OCT offered to "protect" a LGBT events. I think that's too much of a culture clash to be a good idea, ignoring the general sanity of the OCT in general...

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Skiprr »

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

AndyC wrote:AR lowers and associated things are rising in price and getting harder to find - now I'm noticing that .223 ammo is drying up and delivery times extended.

Yep - I'm calling this one - Sauve qui peut.
Now I believe it.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Skiprr »

AndyC wrote:AR lowers and associated things are rising in price and getting harder to find - now I'm noticing that .223 ammo is drying up and delivery times extended.
BTW, I ordered 1,000 rounds of range ammo from Freedom Munitions on June 22, and the order status is still "pending." Right after my order, their website posted a notice that, due to high volume, orders were taking 5 to 7 business days to process; then it changed to 7 to 10 business days; then to "7 to 10 business days or more."

I don't blame Freedom Munitions. I have every confidence they're moving as fast as they can. But it seems clear they got slammed with orders. Out of their 21 different offerings of .223, 15 are out of stock...and one of the in-stock items is a tracer round.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

Primary Arms latest sale of AR's are for quite reasonable prices.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”