What is your night stand gun?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FastCarry
Posts in topic: 15

What is your night stand gun?

Post by FastCarry »

I currently EDC a Ruger LightWeight Commander 1911 8+1 w/night sights. I have spare mags in the car and at the ready in the pistol case, so I usually just grab the gun when i leave the house, it stays on the night stand when at home.

Im in the hunt for something a little more feature rich for night stand duty, the house is on 1 acre and not in a great neighborhood. Im in ft worth but the the CHL count for my zip code is about 200, where zip codes around me are in the thousands. The property is more rectangular than square so the backyard gets no light. Id like to get something with a rail so i can mount my TLR1 HL, I like the thought of something railed so i dont tie up a hand holding a separate flashlight.

I really like having the least amount of platforms for magazine compatibility so my first option is a railed 1911 with a few chip mccormick 10 rounders. Im also considering a Sig 2022 however, 15+1 9mm w/night sights.

Is your night stand gun different than your EDC?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What is your night stand gun?

Post by C-dub »

My regular EDC is a Glock 30SF and I also carry 2 spare full size mags. My Glock 21SF stays on the nightstand most of the time unless I'm going out at night. I've recently mounted a TLR1 and purchased a holster that will accommodate it while mounted. Full size mags work in both.

However, my main nightstand gun is my M4 with a 40 round mag and a few spares in the nightstand.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ryan »

My Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare Carry is my EDC and it sits on the night stand. I also have a Les Baer Custom Carry that sits on the nightstand as well.
So yes, my EDC is also one of my nightstand guns. None are railed so no option to mount a light. But I could see where that would come in handy...

I'm pretty much a 1911 guy so I don't have any suggestions as to what you should think about getting. Double stack guns feel real uncomfortable to me so I usually steer clear of those.

My AR sits right in the corner as well so I don't ever really worry about pistol ammo capacity while at my home.

Topic author
FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

Ryan wrote:My Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare Carry is my EDC and it sits on the night stand. I also have a Les Baer Custom Carry that sits on the nightstand as well.
So yes, my EDC is also one of my nightstand guns. None are railed so no option to mount a light. But I could see where that would come in handy...

I'm pretty much a 1911 guy so I don't have any suggestions as to what you should think about getting. Double stack guns feel real uncomfortable to me so I usually steer clear of those.

My AR sits right in the corner as well so I don't ever really worry about pistol ammo capacity while at my home.
How do you like the Sig? Im considering the EMP scorp or TACOPS if I go 1911.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

C-dub wrote:My regular EDC is a Glock 30SF and I also carry 2 spare full size mags. My Glock 21SF stays on the nightstand most of the time unless I'm going out at night. I've recently mounted a TLR1 and purchased a holster that will accommodate it while mounted. Full size mags work in both.

However, my main nightstand gun is my M4 with a 40 round mag and a few spares in the nightstand.
Gesh thats a big nightstand.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

My EDC XDm .45 3.8 compact sits on night stand. AR sits next to night stand. Extra mags for both close at hand
:fire
NRA Life Member

Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ryan »

FastCarry wrote:
Ryan wrote:My Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare Carry is my EDC and it sits on the night stand. I also have a Les Baer Custom Carry that sits on the nightstand as well.

How do you like the Sig? Im considering the EMP scorp or TACOPS if I go 1911.
I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with the Nightmare and Sig 1911's in general. I've put almost 3000 rounds through the Nightmare since October and have had 0 failures of any kind. Not a one. I can't even say that about the Les Baer....

If I had the money right now, I'd go buy the .357 version of the Nightmare, that's how much I like it. Between myself and my father in law, we have 6 Sig 1911's, including both of the ones you want. You really can't go wrong... other than the Sig profile 1911's make it a bit more difficult finding holsters since the slide is more square shaped than traditional 1911's.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

My EDC Kahr PM40 and a Win 1300 Defender close by.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ruger Security Six loaded with Federal .38 Special +P 125 grain SJHP. A speed strip with 6 more stays with it, as well as a VERY bright Surefire flashlight.

Remington 870 (18 inch "police" barrel) with 00 buckshot in the closet.

Weg

Post by Weg »

AK... but I live in a heavily wooded area with the nearest home 200-300 yards through the woods. Not worried about over penetration.

Topic author
FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

AndyC wrote:RIA 1911 with 10+1 and SureFire light
Do you have the full rail dust cover version? How has it been? Thats on my list of possibilities as well. The ejector snapped on my RIA 9mm 1911 so im not entirely convince i trust them yet.

LosAlce
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LosAlce »

Me -
EDC: Sig p938
Nightstand: Fullsize M&P 9mm with a viridian C5L light laser combo.

Husband -
EDC: Sig p938
Nightstand: Glock 17 with night sights

Plus two elderly (but still ferocious) protective 75lbs+ dogs
LTC since: 4/26/2016
Carrying: Sig P938 :rock"

ssnstump

Post by ssnstump »

Springfield XDm in .45 13+ 1 with two spare mags.
My son has the 9mm version 19+1.
We do love this gun.

My EDC is a Beretta PX4 in .40. Haven't carried the Springfield because I haven't secured a suitable CC holster for it.
IF I ever OC - it will be the Springfield.
US Navy Submarine Service 1976-1982

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Mine is my EDC M&P 9 full size and right next to the night stand is a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel with a stream light ( I forget the model #) mounted on the barrel. I recently changed over to #1 flight control rounds for my shotgun, but I keep 5 rounds of 00 buck in the side saddle. My wife keeps her M&P beside her side of the bed. We also have three very loud, though not ferocious, four legged intruder alerts who are closer to the entry points. As I get more comfortable with my AR it may move into the place of my Mossberg.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”