Selling Firearms

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

goose
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Selling Firearms

Post by goose »

rotor wrote:goose and mrvax
No argument from me. I said that is just how I do things and I am not interested in arguing or debating the issue. You have the option of doing or not doing a BOS. Obviously I will not be buying a gun from either of you.
I don't know why this issue always brings up so much argument. I drive a Ford truck, you drive a Chevy. All is still good.
I don't think of it as an argument at all. I'm not interested in changing your mind. But I do want alternate views out there so that when I go to buy or sell I'm less likely to be asked for information that could lead criminals to me. As you said both methods work.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
JMod45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JMod45 »

Didn't realize I would cause such a discussion. I was just curious the laws on the matter as I have not had time to look them up. Thank you for all of the information.

When I end up selling, I plan on requesting that the buyer has a CHL/LTC, as it is a small pistol designed primarily as a concealed carry weapon.
As far as a bill of sale is concerned, I guess I'll have to look into it. I am not too concerned about it, but my wife is, and would like to have one. She prefers I sell it to one of the chain stores around here for less money so that all the paperwork gets updated.

Since I just realized you have to have a post count of 45 to post in the market here, what other resources are there? Is the thrifty nickel still a thing?

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

rotor wrote:
The Wall wrote:Minimum would be Texas drivers license and bill of sale with DL number and address on it. Good to make sure individual is 21 unless it's obvious he or she is.
Can legally be 18 under Texas law.
Not if it's a handgun, and not by me.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

Having Bought and Sold (Just sold one today!) many pistols on this forum, I can tell you the that the 'Well' here is stocked with good honorable people. I have yet to meet ANYONE from this forum (Even including but not limited to C-Dub :lol: ) that was not a friend-worthy person.
So, that said, I prefer to buy/sell through this forum.
Another place you could try is the Texas Hunting Forum, but I think you have to pay to list it. Argh. But the traffic is super high, (and possibly questionable)

~Bill

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

The Wall wrote:
rotor wrote:
The Wall wrote:Minimum would be Texas drivers license and bill of sale with DL number and address on it. Good to make sure individual is 21 unless it's obvious he or she is.
Texas law 18 for handgun. Federal 21 for handgun. Sale between individuals in Texas is 18. You may want to sell only to 21 and above. Your choice.

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

JMod45 wrote:Didn't realize I would cause such a discussion. I was just curious the laws on the matter as I have not had time to look them up. Thank you for all of the information.

When I end up selling, I plan on requesting that the buyer has a CHL/LTC, as it is a small pistol designed primarily as a concealed carry weapon.
As far as a bill of sale is concerned, I guess I'll have to look into it. I am not too concerned about it, but my wife is, and would like to have one. She prefers I sell it to one of the chain stores around here for less money so that all the paperwork gets updated.

Since I just realized you have to have a post count of 45 to post in the market here, what other resources are there? Is the thrifty nickel still a thing?
You can also download from the ATF website Federal laws.
https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

Check out texasguntraders.com for selling. This site of course has great people but you can't sell untill you are more established. Good luck with your sale.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

It bothers me also. I want more access to data:
As a seller, I want red light / green light ability to look up a DL. I don't want a requirement to do so, but I want the ability to do so. It would afford me a little bit of protection from selling to someone who says he is one thing but is another. Sometime, somewhere, one of us is going to sell a gun, legally, to someone who does something bad. Such a system wouldn't necessarily prevent that, but it could show that we took due care.

As a buyer, I want to know that what I'm buying isn't stolen or involved in a crime. Right now, the only way to do that is to buy it, take it by law enforcement, and ask them if they'd mind checking it for you. No one does that because it could lead to immediate arrest if the officer was so inclined...

Both issues are easily resolved without further legislation, restrictions, or requirements.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Wall wrote:
rotor wrote:
You can legally sell a handgun to someone 18 in Texas, but of course you can choose not to. Unless you're a FFL...then they have to be 21
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

ScottDLS wrote:
The Wall wrote:
rotor wrote:
You can legally sell a handgun to someone 18 in Texas, but of course you can choose not to. Unless you're a FFL...then they have to be 21
Thank you for edumacating me on this. I've always thought handguns were 21because of federal law. Didn't know Texas law was different. How about buying ammo?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Wall wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
The Wall wrote:
rotor wrote:
Thank you for edumacating me on this. I've always thought handguns were 21because of federal law. Didn't know Texas law was different. How about buying ammo?
federal law only regulates buying from FFL dealers. Private sale of handguns and ammunition to residents of the same state are a matter of state law....for now.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”