Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Which Glock to Buy?!

Post by drjoker »

I am torn. Which Glock to buy? (do NOT say "both")

Ok, since open carry is legal now, I'm no longer afraid of "printing" so I can get a bigger gun that carries more ammo capacity. I'm thinking of getting something modern with a red dot sight for a CCW that is poorly concealed. I'm confused. Should I get a Glock 34 MOS with adjustable sights or with fixed sights? They are similarly priced but I don't know which to buy. Here are my questions for those of you who own one and carry it;

1. for adjustable sights, does the sights get easily knocked out of alignment?
2. for the fixed sights, is it easy to shoot at the point of aim or will you have to "compensate" by aiming a bit high or low, etc? If it shoots to the point of aim at, say, 20 ft or less, then at what range do you have to start compensating? 50 yards? 100 yards?
3. can you cowitness the irons and the red dot?
4. if you can only cowitness with taller suppressor sights, are these taller red dot sights more expensive? harder to find? both? Are there identical red dot sight models for both taller and lower sights for all the major manufacturers?

Which one would you get? adjustable or fixed sights with the red dot MOS glock 34?

Thanks,
:tiphat:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Which Glock to Buy?!

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That all seems more complicated than necessary. I usually carry a Glock 19, OC or CC, it doesn't matter. I also sometimes open carry a G17. The 17 has Trijicon HD tritium sights, and the 19 has Big Dot tritium sights. I can shoot either gun, with either sights, fairly well. No need for all that fancy Dan stuff.......unless that's what floats your boat.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasTornado »

drjoker wrote:I am torn. Which Glock to buy? (do NOT say "both")

Ok, since open carry is legal now, I'm no longer afraid of "printing" so I can get a bigger gun that carries more ammo capacity. I'm thinking of getting something modern with a red dot sight for a CCW that is poorly concealed. I'm confused. Should I get a Glock 34 MOS with adjustable sights or with fixed sights? They are similarly priced but I don't know which to buy. Here are my questions for those of you who own one and carry it;

2. for the fixed sights, is it easy to shoot at the point of aim or will you have to "compensate" by aiming a bit high or low, etc? If it shoots to the point of aim at, say, 20 ft or less, then at what range do you have to start compensating? 50 yards? 100 yards?
4. if you can only cowitness with taller suppressor sights, are these taller red dot sights more expensive? harder to find? both? Are there identical red dot sight models for both taller and lower sights for all the major manufacturers?

Which one would you get? adjustable or fixed sights with the red dot MOS glock 34?

Thanks,
Adjustable.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

If you insist on open carrying, it will be easier to find a retention holster for a Glock 17 than a Glock 34. Please don't OC without a rentention holster. I suggest the Safariland 6354DO, which is designed for use with a Glock 17 or Glock 19 (two different holster models, one for each frame size) that has a mounted red dot.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Both
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I love fancy at the range, but it's hard to beat simplicity for EDC.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If you're going to add an RDS, why worry about fixed iron sights or not? I guess there are ways to attach an RDS and keep the iron sights, but isn't the best way to do that and keep it clean to have the RDS mounted in the groove of the rear sight? I've been considering the Trijicon RMR for a little while now, but haven't decided yet. I also haven't decided whether I would put it on the G30 or G21 if I did get it.

Anyway, here is this guy's opinion.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... FI-HG1-HG2

Do you really think you'll be shooting very much at 50-100 yards with this handgun? I've had four Glocks and fixed sights on all of them. The stock sights were fine and don't remember having to compensate for any of them. Neither of the stock sights lasted long because I soon switched all of them our for better night sights. My first sets on my .40's were Meprolights. Now, on my .45's I have Trijicon HD sights with the bright orange front sight around the tritium. No compensating, but I did have to return one of them to have the front sight re-installed properly since it was a little crooked at first, but has been fine after being reinstalled straight.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I thought this was a trick question "rlol"
Obviously, the answer is buy them all. :lol::

I agree with TAMs post. I'd just keep it as simple as possible. All that other pizzazz is unnecessary. I carry mostly either G19 or G26, with only "mods" being nightsights and talon grips. Sometimes I carry G21, but I'm getting bit fat so it's been in the safe mostly :???:

Lena

Post by Lena »

If you shoot a lot a 19 or 23, forget all the other stuff, just learn to shoot it, I carry a 32 but different situation here plus I love the Gen 2 guns and do not own any others. Other than my gen 1 17 which is the most accurate I have shot. As far as distance we have shot steel at 50-75 yds just holding on them with no problems at all, simpler is much better.
Stay Safe

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

AndyC wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Both
I didn't even have to look at the nick to know who made that comment :lol:
:mrgreen:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Liberty wrote:I love fancy at the range, but it's hard to beat simplicity for EDC.
I would agree with this sentiment. However, those do look pretty cool, and you weren't really asking if it was a good idea to carry one sooo...

I have not owned a Glock with adjustable sights, but I have been quite happy with my G19 with fixed. I previously owned a couple different handguns with adjustable sights. One never gave me any issues; the other one did. If you're always going to use it with a RDS attached, it probably doesn't matter, although again, simpler is usually better.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

"I am torn. Which Glock to buy? (do NOT say "both")" How about one of each? :lol:

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Get both.

Then buy 87 mags for it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by drjoker »

drjoker wrote:I am torn. Which Glock to buy? (do NOT say "both")

A: Guy at gun store said, "no." (GT Distributor)
??? Probably no compensation at up to 100 yards?
A:Yes. (GT Dist)
A: Taller suppressor sights seems to refer to irons not the red dot. I wrongly thought that there are taller "suppressor" red dot and irons sights. Another set of taller suppressor iron sights will set you back $50 to 100.

I will get the fixed sights as I have to replace the sights with taller suppressor sights, anyways. Also, adjustable sights Glock cost $10 more.

Thanks,
Last edited by drjoker on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”