Making your own cleaning patches for bore cleaning?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Making your own cleaning patches for bore cleaning?

Post by Glock4ever »

Any issues with just using a piece of a paper towel to clean the bore rather than the purchased patches?

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Making your own cleaning patches for bore cleaning?

Post by loktite »

If you have any old cotton shirts, I'd start there before paper towels. Paper towels tend to leave dust/particulate, and usually don't hold up very well soaked in solvent. YMMV based on quality of paper towel. I'd also use the blue shop towels before regular paper towels.
NRA Endowment Member

Weg

Post by Weg »

I've used those blue shop towel paper towels before. Cut them to where they were a good fit, and they worked great. This was for .30 and .45 though, they seem to thick for .22.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

What loktite already said above no paper towels. I use my old cotton t-shirts and they work great.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

carlson1 wrote:What loktite folks already no paper towels. I use my old cotton t-shirts and they work great.
:iagree: I haven't bought patches in many years.
NRA Endowment Member

dlh

Post by dlh »

I have a whole tackle-box full of patches I made from a pair of rotary scissors and old t-shirts and underwear.

You can get a pair of rotary scissors in the sewing department at Wal-Mart for less than fifteen bucks if memory recalls. They are great for cutting square patches of various sizes.

The blue paper towels work too as indicated by other posters.

For Christmas I asked "Santa" for one of those brass picks that hold up much better than those cheaper plastic picks. Tomorrow morning I will find out if Santa granted my wish. :cool:

With the patches and picks you can really go to town cleaning up hard to reach places. Mr. GunsNGear has a whole video devoted to that on Youtube. Very informative.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Patches (real or the tee shirt variety) are cheap... and if you use a proper fitting jag, paper towels will often tear before being fully inserted... especially if wet with solvent. Good patches and a jag do much of the work for you. :cheers2:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Old t-shirts are my cleaning patches, don't have rotary scissors, but regular scissors have worked well for me.
When they get too ragged for Mrs. Jusme to let me wear they then get cut up.
Last edited by Jusme on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

We have always bought 4 or 5 yards of soft cotton at dress shops or Wal-Mart and cut our own. Being raised in a gun shop my family has always been OCD with gun cleaning. My grandmother went through the depression and always washed patches & rags until they were ragged, threadbare and disintegrated. She never threw out aluminum foil either and god help you if you ripped a piece!

Merry Christmas Armed Texans!!
III

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mrvmax »

I guess I'm the odd man out, I buy my patches and right now I use Paul Clean Rollpatch since it is one patch for most calibers (the jag size is different depending upon caliber).

jed

Post by jed »

I've never bought a patch. Like some have said, I use cut up tee shirts. I even strip and lube ticking for muzzle loading. I guess I like it old school.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I use old underwear...as long as they dont have any brown in them.

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

I use cotton flannel. You can pick up left-overs (partial yards) for a little bit of nothing at sewing-supply stores.
I bought 3 yards of it at Walmart for $2.00 earlier this year, and that's enough to last me a couple of years.
Flannel doesn't 'shed' and is very absorbent - works nicely for general cleaning and can easily be cut to whichever size you need.
I usually run it thru a wash/dry cycle with other clothing, then cut it into patch-sized pieces for bore cleaning and some larger pieces for general cleaning. In my experience, it works much better than the packaged gun-cleaning patches.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Glock4ever »

jminn1 wrote:I use cotton flannel. You can pick up left-overs (partial yards) for a little bit of nothing at sewing-supply stores.
I bought 3 yards of it at Walmart for $2.00 earlier this year, and that's enough to last me a couple of years.
Flannel doesn't 'shed' and is very absorbent - works nicely for general cleaning and can easily be cut to whichever size you need.
I usually run it thru a wash/dry cycle with other clothing, then cut it into patch-sized pieces for bore cleaning and some larger pieces for general cleaning. In my experience, it works much better than the packaged gun-cleaning patches.
Sounds like that is the way to go. The patches sold are often cotton flannel.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”