XD, XDS, just any of them blah...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

XD, XDS, just any of them blah...

Post by cmgee67 »

Had the opportunity to handle every make and model of a Springfield XD, XDS whatever series today at the Dallas market hall gun show that I wanted to handle and I hated the grip texturing and 1911 grip safety and overall feel of them all. I had considered one for a little while because they can be found fairly cheap (XDS 9 388 cash) but not after i messed with them. Now as far their 1911's go I have to sat the ones I've shot and handled I loved them. What can I say... I'm a Glock guy... course I'm about to get hate mail saying Glocks are awful in the hand and ugly yeah yeah....

Lol after stiring the XD/XDS pot/crowd I'd like to say this, carry what you like and what feels good and what works for you. If you can shoot it do it! Don't let one persons opinion like mine sway countless videos and reviews on how well those Springfields perform. I know several who bet their life on them and that's fine. I trust Glock you trust Colt or sig or S&W. that's what makes us as a gun community diverse and special. I really enjoy this forum. Thank you to you all for making this an enjoyable and professional source of social media. Thanks to the moderators and people who work so had keeping it clean and honest. God bless you all! Especially the guys who like them Springfields :biggrinjester:

JRG

Re: XD, XDS, just any of them blah...

Post by JRG »

cmgee67 wrote:Had the opportunity to handle every make and model of a Springfield XD, XDS whatever series today at the Dallas market hall gun show that I wanted to handle and I hated the grip texturing and 1911 grip safety and overall feel of them all. I had considered one for a little while because they can be found fairly cheap (XDS 9 388 cash) but not after i messed with them. Now as far their 1911's go I have to sat the ones I've shot and handled I loved them. What can I say... I'm a Glock guy... course I'm about to get hate mail saying Glocks are awful in the hand and ugly yeah yeah....

Lol after stiring the XD/XDS pot/crowd I'd like to say this, carry what you like and what feels good and what works for you. If you can shoot it do it! Don't let one persons opinion like mine sway countless videos and reviews on how well those Springfields perform. I know several who bet their life on them and that's fine. I trust Glock you trust Colt or sig or S&W. that's what makes us as a gun community diverse and special. I really enjoy this forum. Thank you to you all for making this an enjoyable and professional source of social media. Thanks to the moderators and people who work so had keeping it clean and honest. God bless you all! Especially the guys who like them Springfields :biggrinjester:

So sorry you didn't like the Springfield lineup. I feel the same way about Glocks, Berettas, and others. My current carry piece is an XD Mod 2 subcompact. It brings a smile to my face when I put it on each and every day.

Joe

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have an xd9 I carry if I carry owb. I like it.

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I bought an XDS .45 about a year ago. I've always had Smith and Wesson pistols and this was my first Springfield. I bought it to carry concealed and works very well for that purpose. I don't particularly like the feel of the grip. I do like the three different magazine capacities. The gun also handles well while firing and has been very accurate.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

flechero

Post by flechero »

cmgee67 wrote: What can I say... I'm a Glock guy... course I'm about to get hate mail saying Glocks are awful in the hand and ugly yeah yeah....
Why sweat it? Opinions are like "rear ends"... we all have one and many stink! Buy what you are comfortable with and if someone tells you that it's a bad choice, offer to let them buy you the right one! :lol:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

flechero wrote:
cmgee67 wrote: What can I say... I'm a Glock guy... course I'm about to get hate mail saying Glocks are awful in the hand and ugly yeah yeah....
Why sweat it? Opinions are like "rear ends"... we all have one and many stink! Buy what you are comfortable with and if someone tells you that it's a bad choice, offer to let them buy you the right one! :lol:
Beauty be in the holder eye!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I didn't mind the grip on my xdm, I added some rubber talon grips and it is great. Tried a glock and don't have a problem with them, but the Springfield feels better in my hand. As for the grip safety I don't see what the big deal is I don't even notice it and as soon as I take a shooting grip the safety is disengaged and has no effect on my shooting.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Springfield XD had a rocky start. I was an early adopter, buying my first in 2003 shortly after the branded Springfield model was produced for sale in the U.S.

It was the design Springfield chose to compete head-to-head with Glock in the burgeoning polymer/striker-fired market. The XD's roots go back to 1990 and Croatia with the Prvi Hrvatski Pištolj (First Croatian Pistol) designed by by Marko Vuković and friends. Pundits considered the design to be solid, but it was produced by I. M. Metal, a privately-owned industrial parts manufacturer. I have a bit of history in Croatia and with the sometimes bizarre privatization of business that took place in the late '80s, and I can understand the...challenges of bringing a quality design to quality manufacture in that era. While that's a tale for another day around a different campfire, let me hasten to add that the business environment in Croatia now is a day and night difference from that difficult transition in the late '80s.

After Vuković's first design, the pistol went through a couple of new iterations before Springfield decided this was the platform they wanted and brought to the table its own design and manufacturing expertise. The stigma of the early Croatian quality issues followed it; however, it was clear early in the Springfield era that those had been resolved.

Haters can hate, but In 2006 the XD-45 earned the title "Handgun of the Year" from American Rifleman magazine and Shooting Industry magazine. The XD(M) series of pistols claimed the same titles in 2009.

I own exactly two more XDs that I own Glocks, and I own several Glocks. For many years, XDs were forced into the IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol division because the striker mechanism pre-loaded prior to the trigger pull when compared to the Glock. The distinction was infinitesimal, but IDPA HQ determined the slightly improved trigger break on the XD deserved moving it into a division with 1911-format 9mm guns. Just sayin'. A stock Glock trigger has never been anything to write home about, but the felt difference between the two was minor.

In fact, to shoot an XD in IDPA ESP with any effectiveness, I had a complete competition job done to an XD-9 tactical by Canyon Creek Custom. Sights, trigger, barrel, fit; the whole nine yards. Proved not to be practical from a competition standpoint, but it remains years later the best striker-fired shooter I own.

Before I ever bought an XD in .40 S&W--one of the first bi-tone XD(M) models--I owned three Glocks in that caliber. A decade ago I was taking a few two- and three-day defensive firearm courses every year. Some required moving, stopping, or controlling steel swingers and I decided on .40 as my caliber of choice, and a G35 as my handgun. Put about 6,000 rounds through that gun in classes alone, not counting other range time. Other than a couple of spring change-outs, I still own it, shoot it, and love it.

My preferred format? None of the above: a 1911. Been shooting that before striker-fired guns were invented; a trigger that no striker gun has ever been able to emulate; a manual-at-arms I know without thinking; over 100 years of proven service; the design used at the highest level of handgun competition; the design still preferred by some SpecOps teams. But I've owned, loved, and shot polymer strikers for over 25 years.

I'm an equal-opportunity firearms advocate.

Net message: if it works, don't dis it. Until you've walked a mile--or fired equivalent rounds--in those shoes, don't dis it.

We all have our favorite designs and platforms, but the more you own and the more you shoot, the more you can appreciate all the others. :mrgreen:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I had a 4.5" 9mm XDM. I liked the grip, and how it shot. The take down for it was amazing. I did not like the grip safety, the loaded chamber indicator, and the cocked indicator. The latter two nothing the interfered with anything, I just wasn't a fan of them and thought they were unnecessary. As for the grip safety, I'm just not a fan of them. Add to that the switch from .45 to 9mm was because of girlfriend, and she had trouble with the grip safety and chambering the first round. Traded for a S&W MP Pro 9mm, and neither of us liked the hinged trigger safety. So sold the S&W and bought a Glock 17, couple extra mags, and never looked back.

I tell everyone the reason there are so many different types of firearms is because there isn't a best. Just a best for you. That might be a High Point, a Glock, a Sig, or a fully custom 1911. Never feel bad for liking what works, and works for you. Never insult someone for their type of firearm; I'm just glad they chose to be responsible for their own safety.
NRA Benefactor Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Skiprr wrote:The Springfield XD had a rocky start. I was an early adopter, buying my first in 2003 shortly after the branded Springfield model was produced for sale in the U.S.

It was the design Springfield chose to compete head-to-head with Glock in the burgeoning polymer/striker-fired market. The XD's roots go back to 1990 and Croatia with the Prvi Hrvatski Pištolj (First Croatian Pistol) designed by by Marko Vuković and friends. Pundits considered the design to be solid, but it was produced by I. M. Metal, a privately-owned industrial parts manufacturer. I have a bit of history in Croatia and with the sometimes bizarre privatization of business that took place in the late '80s, and I can understand the...challenges of bringing a quality design to quality manufacture in that era. While that's a tale for another day around a different campfire, let me hasten to add that the business environment in Croatia now is a day and night difference from that difficult transition in the late '80s.

After Vuković's first design, the pistol went through a couple of new iterations before Springfield decided this was the platform they wanted and brought to the table its own design and manufacturing expertise. The stigma of the early Croatian quality issues followed it; however, it was clear early in the Springfield era that those had been resolved.

Haters can hate, but In 2006 the XD-45 earned the title "Handgun of the Year" from American Rifleman magazine and Shooting Industry magazine. The XD(M) series of pistols claimed the same titles in 2009.

I own exactly two more XDs that I own Glocks, and I own several Glocks. For many years, XDs were forced into the IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol division because the striker mechanism pre-loaded prior to the trigger pull when compared to the Glock. The distinction was infinitesimal, but IDPA HQ determined the slightly improved trigger break on the XD deserved moving it into a division with 1911-format 9mm guns. Just sayin'. A stock Glock trigger has never been anything to write home about, but the felt difference between the two was minor.

In fact, to shoot an XD in IDPA ESP with any effectiveness, I had a complete competition job done to an XD-9 tactical by Canyon Creek Custom. Sights, trigger, barrel, fit; the whole nine yards. Proved not to be practical from a competition standpoint, but it remains years later the best striker-fired shooter I own.

Before I ever bought an XD in .40 S&W--one of the first bi-tone XD(M) models--I owned three Glocks in that caliber. A decade ago I was taking a few two- and three-day defensive firearm courses every year. Some required moving, stopping, or controlling steel swingers and I decided on .40 as my caliber of choice, and a G35 as my handgun. Put about 6,000 rounds through that gun in classes alone, not counting other range time. Other than a couple of spring change-outs, I still own it, shoot it, and love it.

My preferred format? None of the above: a 1911. Been shooting that before striker-fired guns were invented; a trigger that no striker gun has ever been able to emulate; a manual-at-arms I know without thinking; over 100 years of proven service; the design used at the highest level of handgun competition; the design still preferred by some SpecOps teams. But I've owned, loved, and shot polymer strikers for over 25 years.

I'm an equal-opportunity firearms advocate.

Net message: if it works, don't dis it. Until you've walked a mile--or fired equivalent rounds--in those shoes, don't dis it.

We all have our favorite designs and platforms, but the more you own and the more you shoot, the more you can appreciate all the others. :mrgreen:
:tiphat: GREAT post! Thanks! :thumbs2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

karder

Post by karder »

Was it Will Rogers who said "I've never met a gun I didn't like"? Or something similar? :biggrinjester:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I am not a huge fan of the XDm grip (rounded off way too much). The old XD's are okay. I really like the XD Mod 2 45 I have. That grip works well. I wish they would make that grip available on a full size pistol in 45 or maybe make a Mod 2 45 with 4" or 4.5" barrel.

Glock grips are okay. My Gen 4 G21 feels great in the hand. I like CZ grips in general also. 1911 grips are okay. The one I like the best is my Para P14.45.

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by Soap »

cmgee67 wrote:Had the opportunity to handle every make and model of a Springfield XD, XDS whatever series today at the Dallas market hall gun show that I wanted to handle and I hated the grip texturing and 1911 grip safety and overall feel of them all. I had considered one for a little while because they can be found fairly cheap (XDS 9 388 cash) but not after i messed with them. Now as far their 1911's go I have to sat the ones I've shot and handled I loved them. What can I say... I'm a Glock guy... course I'm about to get hate mail saying Glocks are awful in the hand and ugly yeah yeah....

I like the grip better than a Glock. I am a sig guy though. However, I have found the XDs to be a great pistol. The trigger could be steal and less spongy but big deal, I'm not competition shooting. I put some talon tape on the grip. It made a world of difference. Also, I feel like the little XDs shoots like a much more larger gun. I got really good groups out of. It almost made me question my carry piece. I want to try an XDm out.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”