Guns + Roommates using Marijuana

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MAGAManofATX
Posts in topic: 7

Guns + Roommates using Marijuana

Post by MAGAManofATX »

Let me begin by saying I have never used, possessed, or transported marijuana.

I'm 21 years old and live in Austin, Texas. I recently finished my LTC application, I'm getting my fingerprints done Monday, but I plan on going back to College this weekend.

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment. Two of my roommates use marijuana frequently. There will sometimes be pipes and marijuana in our common living quarters. There is not, and has NEVER been marijuana in my bedroom.

What are my options in regards to keeping my handgun in my personal bedroom? I understand that it is a very big crime (potential Felony) to possess guns and marijuana at the same time.

I don't think it is realistic to expect my roommates to completely remove Marijuana from our apartment. They won't sacrifice their leisure for my gun rights - especially considering two of them are anti-gun. I think I could enforce a "no marijuana in the living room/common areas" policy however.

Would that cover me? I will have credibility as a CHL holder, and my gun will always be on my person or in my bedroom (properly locked with a trigger lock).

Another solution I have considered is keeping my gun (in a safe) in my car in the parking garage downstairs. It's secluded, and once I get my LTC I could holster and unholster in privacy.

Moving is not an option until the end of the semester in May. I simply cannot go through that process right now and maintain focus on school.

Your thoughts? I understand nobody can offer concrete legal advice. I just wanted to seek this forum's opinion.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Guns + Roommates using Marijuana

Post by ELB »

LTC/Gun or not, you are living in a high-risk situation. I understand the intensity of maintaining focus on school and the disruption moving would cause, but it is the only safe option. I'm not a cop, but I doubt the Austin police go out of their way to ferret out people smoking pot in their apartments, but if anything else happens to bring attention to your room mates -- like they are getting into other drugs, neighbors complain, there's a break-in at your apartment, whatever -- it is very like to splash on you regardless of your abstinence.

The only real answers that I see are find new living accommodations or hope your luck holds out thru the end of the semester.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
MAGAManofATX

Post by MAGAManofATX »

What are your thoughts on locking it in my car? I imagine that would absolve the legal problems.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

The issue with roommates using illegal drugs is you may get caught up in a possession charge yourself, using or not, since they are in the same residence. And it may not be just marijuana, they may step up to higher level drugs or narcotics, which could result in major criminal charges and long jail terms.

In Texas, possession of 2oz or less of Marijuana is a Class B Misdemeanor offense, with penalties of up to 180 days in jail, and fines of $2000. Possession of more than 2oz, up to 5lbs of marijuana, it is a Class A Misdemeanor. Such an offense can result in penalties of up 1 year in jail, and fines of $4000.

So, with the Class B you would lose your LTC for 5 years, plus possibly 2 years if revoked. On the felony, you would lose your license as well as right to own firearms.

Bottom line, as ELB stated, I would get out of the situation where you have any illegal contraband in the house, even though it's not yours.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Keith B wrote:The issue with roommates using illegal drugs is you may get caught up in a possession charge yourself, using or not, since they are in the same residence. And it may not be just marijuana, they may step up to higher level drugs or narcotics, which could result in major criminal charges and long jail terms.

In Texas, possession of 2oz or less of Marijuana is a Class B Misdemeanor offense, with penalties of up to 180 days in jail, and fines of $2000. Possession of more than 2oz, up to 5lbs of marijuana, it is a Class A Misdemeanor. Such an offense can result in penalties of up 1 year in jail, and fines of $4000.

So, with the Class B you would lose your LTC for 5 years, plus possibly 2 years if revoked. On the felony, you would lose your license as well as right to own firearms.

Bottom line, as ELB stated, I would get out of the situation where you have any illegal contraband in the house, even though it's not yours.
:iagree: Get out ASAP! If you are on a lease get some photographic evidence of the drug usage in the event uou are sued for breaking the lease.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
MAGAManofATX

Post by MAGAManofATX »

I already said that leaving my apartment is not an option at this time. What is everyone's thoughts on locking my gun in my car when I am not carrying?

NNT

Post by NNT »

MAGAManofATX wrote:I already said that leaving my apartment is not an option at this time. What is everyone's thoughts on locking my gun in my car when I am not carrying?
I am not an instructor, lawyer, and don't play one on TV. I did used to manage apartments. I see the issue as separate. If the gun is not in the apartment with the drugs, then it is not with the drugs. If the gun is on you or in your bedroom, it is with the drugs.

As was stated above, on the small chance something hits the fan, at a minimum you are looking at legal cost to prove you were not involved, and worst case is you lose your right to own a fire arm, vote, get a job, etc. I am pretty sure it would go something like this: You knew drugs were here? You stayed here anyway? you have the right to remain silent.

Sounds like you have to roll the dice and hope nothings comes of it. Or buck up and tell them that there is to be no drugs in the house at all. While socially accepted in many places, the fact is it is still against the law (federal for sure), even if 'just' a misdemeanor.

Good luck.

Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Glock4ever »

MAGAManofATX wrote:I already said that leaving my apartment is not an option at this time. What is everyone's thoughts on locking my gun in my car when I am not carrying?
It may be tough but you need to make it an option.
Not sure what you are studying but many employers do background checks on people before they are hired. Some drug arrest or whatever won't look good. Get away from these losers at any cost.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

We heard you the first time but you are not listening to us. GET OUT NOW!
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Find different roommates, move or hold off on having a gun there, unless you want to take a chance.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Most of the time the right thing is hard to do. Locking your pistol in your car or in your bedroom doesn't change the legality of illegal drugs in and around your person. It is ILLEGAL rather the gun is in the car or even in another State. If caught you will be charged with or without your firearm. As Keith said above when that happens you will loose your LTC!

If we did a poll I think most would say lay out a semester and move.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'd have to agree with others. See if you can arrange some other living situation.

Are you in apartments that are dedicated for students? Where each bedroom has its own deadbolt? If so, your lease would be completely separate from theirs and you could ask to be moved to another apartment without breaking the lease possibly. A move within the complex to a new unit may not be as hard on you.

I'm one of those conservatives that believes pot should be treated the same as liquor, but until that day your 2nd amendment right and hobbies related to guns do not mix at all with your room mate's life choices.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Another thing to consider, you've just admitted that you and your gun will be in a capsule where drugs are being used and abused. Moreover, since this is a public forum, your gun being locked in your car while you are residing there is something that anybody can pick up on.

In short, if, hypothetically speaking, something was to go down involving you and or your gun, you would be in a pickle, especially in liberal Austin. If that doesn't light your fire, your wood must be wet. :tiphat:

Now, everyone here is trying to help you out by telling you the same thing, move or don't have a gun there.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Strike 1: your roommates are engaging in illegal activities without regards for your desire to be law abiding.
Strike 2: your roommates are anti-gun, putting you on a different side politically

Potential Strike 3: your roommates get busted and drag you into because a: they're looking for a way out and b: they don't like your guns and political stance. Rather than testify that you had nothing to do with the illegal substances they say you are part of it, and your gun is used to protect all of your drugs.

At the end of the day they could be charged and released for simple possession while you could be facing a stiffer charge of possession of drugs and guns.

If I were you I would not have a gun in the apartment or your vehicle while you are subject to the whims of illegal drug users.

Final thought: is there any "no illegal drugs" policies in your apartment lease?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Glock4ever »

Maybe some good guy from Austin will let you stay in an extra bedroom or something until you can get another place
If moving is purely financial setup a fundraiser on one of the websites I would donate.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”