Gloves while shooting?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Gloves while shooting?

Post by cmgee67 »

Anybody wear gloves while shooting your firearms? It seems to be a YouTube commando thing and I was curious as to who does it and why. I have tried it just to see what it was like and I found wearing gloves especially while shooting a pistol was nothing but cumbersome and made it hard to manipulate the controls. I sometimes shoot my shotgun or deer rifle with gloves while hunting but that's only for cold cold weather when you need gloves on.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gloves while shooting?

Post by AF-Odin »

During the winter I do sometimes practice with gloves, just like I practice drawing while wearing a jacket. However, I do not routinely wear gloves while shooting, but if you do wear gloves in winter then it is a condition with which you should be familiar.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Right I agree. But I only wear gloves when hunting and it has to be very cold.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I wore gloves for the first time shooting when it was cold - as you can see in my avatar. I found the gloves that I wore to actually be pretty nice while shooting. I don't wear them all the time, but I do have one pistol that can make the knuckle of my thumb angry so I wear them sometimes for that one.

I guess I'm of the opinion that sometimes it's nice and sometimes it's a pain to mess with. Many variables determine whether I will mess with them or not on a given range trip.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:..., but I do have one pistol that can make the knuckle of my thumb angry so I wear them sometimes for that one.

Please elaborate.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I practice in the cold with gloves. I have gotten rid of some of my gloves because, while very good at keeping my hands,warm, we're useless for shooting.
I have a pair of mechanics gloves that I will sometimes practice with when it's hot to help with my grip with sweaty hands.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

warnmar10 wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:..., but I do have one pistol that can make the knuckle of my thumb angry so I wear them sometimes for that one.

Please elaborate.
My carry pistol, when firing hot ammo gets pretty snappy (S&W Shield 9). Depending on my hold, it can rub a spot on my hand to be pretty sensitive. Not a blister or anything like that, but I've found that the gloves I wear aren't cumbersome at all, and take care of that spot if I get a hot load.

https://www.magpul.com/products/apparel ... cal-gloves

If the OP was asking for a suggestion for gloves when the situation warranted it, I would suggest these based on my use so far. They keep a good grip and don't get in the way of manipulating my pistol. The first time I wore them was actually at an action match, and I forgot I was wearing them. (Avatar is after it warmed up some - notice the short sleeves)

And, they look tacticool :biggrinjester:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Back in my younger days when I shot my Ruger .44 mag a lot I'd wear a really thin pair of golf gloves. If I shot it a lot nowadays I'd probably find a thin glove to use again, although the golf gloves these days seem to be much thicker than the ones I had. I wear gloves when I hunt if it's cold but remove the one on my right hand to shoot my rifle. If wearing a glove helps your shooting I see it as just another improvement.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Glove, singular.

One particular carbine I own has a brutal trigger.

So, yes, when I shoot it I wear a glove on the trigger pulling hand, though as time passes and I shoot it more it's getting smoover...

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Osteo-arthritis runs in my family, my younger sister is having a hip replacement this month. My hands are often painful and I have tried many different gloves but keep coming back to these as the best that I have found:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 725699.uts
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Mechanix Wear has a tactical glove series http://www.mechanix.com/tactical?gclid= ... wAodnIwPOw

The Mechanix Wear gloves were popular with special operations who used them before the company developed a specific line just for police/tactical use.

I haven't worn any gloves yet since getting back into shooting, used to wear gloves hunting in winter. Gloves are an item that I look at when in stores- still in search for ones that work well and fit my small hands properly.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

KLB

Post by KLB »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:My carry pistol, when firing hot ammo gets pretty snappy (S&W Shield 9). Depending on my hold, it can rub a spot on my hand to be pretty sensitive. Not a blister or anything like that, but I've found that the gloves I wear aren't cumbersome at all, and take care of that spot if I get a hot load.
My XDs in .45 ACP rubs the base of my thumb raw. I haven't tried gloves, maybe I should.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

KLB wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:My carry pistol, when firing hot ammo gets pretty snappy (S&W Shield 9). Depending on my hold, it can rub a spot on my hand to be pretty sensitive. Not a blister or anything like that, but I've found that the gloves I wear aren't cumbersome at all, and take care of that spot if I get a hot load.
My XDs in .45 ACP rubs the base of my thumb raw. I haven't tried gloves, maybe I should.
Give those Magpul gloves a shot (no pun intended). IIRC, the wife picked them up for me and they were either $19.99 or $24.99 at Academy. Not bad, and I think they are great gloves. I'm not going to breach any doors with them, but they don't get in the way and they aren't slippery.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I sometimes wear gloves when I'm shooting with a suppressor.....not to aid in the shooting, but to protect my hands from getting burned by the can accidentally.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I sometimes wear gloves when I'm shooting with a suppressor.....not to aid in the shooting, but to protect my hands from getting burned by the can accidentally.
If you would use a silencer then the can doesn't get that hot. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”