Good Read On BUG's

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Good Read On BUG's

Post by carlson1 »

I tried to get a link to this, but could not find one. I received this in an email. I don't think Clint would mind passing this along. It is a great thought on back up guns.
Back Up Guns- by Clint Smith

History records people who carried two handguns for a variety of reasons. In the days of mounted cavalry big “horse” pistols were carried in scabbards mounted to or attached to the saddle pommel. A second or back up gun came in handy in mounted fights as loading the revolver of the day required some detail and often some time to powder and ball the guns to a loaded status. Some gunmen of the era of the American West carried two guns, Hickok, Hardin, Stoudenmire but mostly these were gunmen or residents of built up towns as a true cowboy working stock had enough stuff to deal with and documents record that working cowboys often left their handguns in the chuck wagon rather than having to deal with the handgun a rope and an ornery steer in thick brush. Bluntly in cap and ball handgun times a second gun was a lot easier and faster than trying to load the empty first handgun. Even with the advent of the cartridge bearing Single Action Army or the break top Schofield loading was still a time consuming process compared to the insertion of the magazine into the well like so many of us do today.

Why a BUG?

Why a back up? As food for thought the drawing of a second gun may still be quicker than a reload in a fight regardless of the era or the type of gun. The back up gun may be a lifesaver in case of a mechanical failure of the primary gun. In the case of physical “loss” of the primary handgun to a threat a second gun gives the shooter the ability to respond.

What Choice for a BUG?

Here comes a firestorm…the backup gun must be used by a skilled person who understands that the use of the BUG will most likely occur in a high stress application. Proper or normal shooting techniques might be impaired by injury so the skill and application must be applied without a hitch. The best proper grip, the best application of body weight behind the gun especially if you want to use a small auto…I know all the rage is for the small .380… you can have it and your welcome to it. I’ll get to that in a minute. Since the fight can and could be at short range and many gunfights start out as a fist fight the chances of you being on the ground are high and if the threat is on top of you consideration must be given to the fact that barrel slide muzzle contact to the threat may cause a failure of the auto pistol to operate correctly. The shooter must remember under duress to clear the muzzle of physical contact. Personally a revolver is much better for the muzzle contact applications that can occur at short range because the revolver still works – fires – in the muzzle contact mode. One can train up to “hold” the back of an auto pistol so it fires while in physical contact but then as soon as the auto does fire the shooter must cycle the slide to clear the fired case from the chamber…but at least you get one round in the guy…so to speak.

Tombstone Humor?

I have always been intrigued by BUG’s because in my head the thought process is that my “big” main primary handgun is empty, broke or stolen…so now I’m going to reach inside my shorts and pull out this pop gun? Yeah, yeah, the gun that with you is better than the one at home in the safe…but the gig still remains I was fighting with Ken so to speak until everything goes south in a fight that I could honestly lose and my response…I drag out Barbie to fight with?

So, puppies are cute a BUG should be in reality the biggest bleepin' gun you own…remember you’re in the fight, your first choice of a handgun fails…and out comes a poodle? Sorry I think a BUG should be the biggest gun you can carry…my BUG is a two-inch SAW 327 eight shot .357 Magnum, it is double action only and has no hammer spur...I also am starting to train up and use the new Springfield XDs in .45 caliber…yes, an auto pistol but a big bore gun, in an ankle holster and very reliable in every format I have trained in with the gun to date.

Location, Location, Location

A BUG should be in a place where you can get as much access and the best access to the gun from as many odd places or positions as humanly possible. Ankle holsters are good choice in my opinion, if I wind up on the ground in a fight, good access and access while sitting in a car with either hand. Off side pocket holsters…yes the gun in a holster in your pocket…not floating around loose. The BUG location will also dictate that you’ll need to train up in off side or opposite hand shooting…and you should anyways.

A Small BUG?

History of a fashion will record your problems, and your resolutions.
If you do well people will remember, if you do poorly even more people will remember.
Your BUG, big, little, carried or not carried…is your call, it could also be your life in the balance. Clint

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Good Read On BUG's

Post by Skiprr »

And that is why I carry a tiny .32 Seecamp BUG.

Thank you Carl, and the mellifluous Clint Smith.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Good article on BUG's. I like my Bond Arms 45ACP derringer BUG. I can wrap my hand around it in my pocket without drawing any attention to myself and walk around with a gun in my hand ready to avoid that fist fight I wont be attending. I can deploy a gun already in my hand a lot quicker than my holstered 1911.
III

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I decided on a holster for my Gold Cup. A Miami Classic rig. And I've been wearing it around trying to get it adjusted how I like it.

So, I've been carrying it around and my normal EDC. That means I've had a BUG lately. Now, don't laugh too hard. My EDC is a Glock 21SF with a TLR-1 attached and two spare mags on the opposite side of my belt. The GC is under my left arm pit and also has two spare mags on the right side. So, depending on my position, sitting or standing, one or the other is the BUG. When driving, the GC is easier to reach and the Glock becomes the BUG. When not seated the GC becomes the BUG in most situations.

I doubt I'll continue carrying both, but it's been interesting having both on me at the same time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JRG

Post by JRG »

Good read!

Thanks for sharing.

Joe

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skiprr wrote:And that is why I carry a tiny .32 Seecamp BUG.

Skiprr, you'll appreciate this: http://weaponsman.com/?p=38680
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Skiprr I may be wrong, but doesn't Seecamp make a .380? Is there a specific reason you chose the .32?

goose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by goose »

carlson1 wrote:

Skiprr I may be wrong, but doesn't Seecamp make a .380? Is there a specific reason you chose the .32?

Same size as his main gun, therefore fulfilling the main gist of the article? :leaving

:evil2:
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Aloha Snackbar

Post by Aloha Snackbar »

carlson1 wrote:
Since the fight can and could be at short range and many gunfights start out as a fist fight the chances of you being on the ground are high and if the threat is on top of you consideration must be given to the fact that barrel slide muzzle contact to the threat may cause a failure of the auto pistol to operate correctly. The shooter must remember under duress to clear the muzzle of physical contact. Personally a revolver is much better for the muzzle contact applications that can occur at short range because the revolver still works – fires – in the muzzle contact mode. One can train up to “hold” the back of an auto pistol so it fires while in physical contact but then as soon as the auto does fire the shooter must cycle the slide to clear the fired case from the chamber…but at least you get one round in the guy…so to speak.
That's why I carry a fixed blade knife. It works great at contact distance and doesn't run out of ammo.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Skiprr, you'll appreciate this: http://weaponsman.com/?p=38680
Thanks. I had no idea that Seecamp was at the 2017 SHOT Show, or that they were reintroducing the .25 ACP. If memory serves, they discontinued the .25 when they first came out with the .32, in the mid-'80s, I think. Can't say that I'm sure why they're bringing it back.
carlson1 wrote:Skiprr I may be wrong, but doesn't Seecamp make a .380? Is there a specific reason you chose the .32?
Not really. I think it was a matter of timing and availability. When I started looking for a Seecamp after having shot a friend's .32, I think it was only a year or two after they introduced the .380. Wait times for new pistols was insane; you simply couldn't find them in-stock at any dealer; and the first used one I found in excellent condition at a good price--formerly used as a BUG by a police detective--was a .32. I did see a couple of used .380s available at that time, but the sellers were asking more than the MSRP, simply because the things were so difficult to come by. And for my intended purpose, I'm okay with the .32 as a BUG.
goose wrote:Same size as his main gun, therefore fulfilling the main gist of the article? :leaving

:evil2:
Nah. I consider a BUG to be a painful annoyance I can use to fight my way back to my much larger primary gun:

:biggrinjester:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

goose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by goose »

Skiprr wrote: Nah. I consider a BUG to be a painful annoyance I can use to fight my way back to my much larger primary gun:

Have you even paid attention to the muzzle rise on that thing???? Second shots are five to ten seconds later at best.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

goose wrote:
Skiprr wrote: Nah. I consider a BUG to be a painful annoyance I can use to fight my way back to my much larger primary gun:

Have you even paid attention to the muzzle rise on that thing???? Second shots are five to ten seconds later at best.
I wonder if someone could design a good compensator for it.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Flightmare wrote:I wonder if someone could design a good compensator for it.
I'm hoping the 2017 Hearing Protection Act will pass and spike the market, making it feasible for someone to produce a suppressor for it. ;-)

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Skiprr wrote:
I'm hoping the 2017 Hearing Protection Act will pass and spike the market, making it feasible for someone to produce a suppressor for it. ;-)
Would the name "Noisy Cricket" apply if it has a good suppressor?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Flightmare wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
Would the name "Noisy Cricket" apply if it has a good suppressor?
QuietCricket (patent pending).

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”