Ice bullets: Fiction or developed by CIA for "wet work"?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Ice bullets: Fiction or developed by CIA for "wet work"?

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The idea of an ice bullet is an intriguing one. I don't know whether I heard this from
someone who read it in a spy novel, or if the CIA/somesuch has actually developed an ice bullet.

If such a bullet exists to assassinate an enemy of the United States, it would have to leave a large
enough wound channel to 86 the bad guy, but the deceased's body temperature would quickly melt
the projectile, leaving no metal bullet for forensic examination.

Why would an ice bullet even be preferable to a real metal bullet? The shooter could use a regular
gun without a serial number and dispose of it after the hit.

"Wet work" is the euphemism for an assassination.

What kind of propulsion system would be needed for an ice bullet? CO2?

If the ice bullet was hit with a striker or a hammer, it would shatter the bullet before
it leaves the weapon.

Also, an ice bullet would have to be carried in some container with dry ice, in order
to remain frozen until the shot was fired.

I throw this topic out to the crowd. Has anyone heard of ice bullets?
Feel free to think out of the box on this issue.

Howdy to all...I haven't been on the board lately.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ice bullets: Fiction or developed by CIA for "wet work"?

Post by jmra »

I think MythBusters did a couple episodes on ice bullets. They considered it Busted both times:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

jmra wrote:I think MythBusters did a couple episodes on ice bullets. They considered it Busted both times:
I believe one was their very first full episode.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I'm tempted to mention pykrete, but as an international man of intrigue and shadow, I do not share tradecraft.

Everyone please look away. No one must see me leave.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

When I was about 6 or 7 a friend of my dad's who was semi-famous in Hartford, CN for his outdoor sports and shooting radio show visited us. My dad had recently purchased a Silvertone reel to reel tape recorder from Sears Roebuck and asked his friend Jack to say a few things on the recorder. He put on his radio voice and recorded a few comments for posterity and then he asked us kids if we wanted to hear about his Kodiak bear hunt in Alaska. It was quite a tale and I won't attempt to relay it, but the gist was he was using a muzzle loader and had no ball to load as the charging bear was closing the distance. He loaded a frozen bead of sweat from his forehead into his rifle. When he fired the frozen bead bullet melted, but miraculously it froze when it hit the frigid Arctic air. Thinking he was saved he watched it melt once more from the bears heated breath. Fortunately the bear turned his head slightly and the now thawed bead of sweat entered his ear, killing him. Wait for it............he died of water on the brain.

Now the story of Jack visiting and entertaining us is absolutely true, the story of the bear I leave up to you.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

puma guy wrote:When I was about 6 or 7 a friend of my dad's who was semi-famous in Hartford, CN for his outdoor sports and shooting radio show visited us. My dad had recently purchased a Silvertone reel to reel tape recorder from Sears Roebuck and asked his friend Jack to say a few things on the recorder. He put on his radio voice and recorded a few comments for posterity and then he asked us kids if we wanted to hear about his Kodiak bear hunt in Alaska. It was quite a tale and I won't attempt to relay it, but the gist was he was using a muzzle loader and had no ball to load as the charging bear was closing the distance. He loaded a frozen bead of sweat from his forehead into his rifle. When he fired the frozen bead bullet melted, but miraculously it froze when it hit the frigid Arctic air. Thinking he was saved he watched it melt once more from the bears heated breath. Fortunately the bear turned his head slightly and the now thawed bead of sweat entered his ear, killing him. Wait for it............he died of water on the brain.

Now the story of Jack visiting and entertaining us is absolutely true, the story of the bear I leave up to you.
... :shock: :leaving (that is all)
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

puma guy wrote:When I was about 6 or 7 a friend of my dad's who was semi-famous in Hartford, CN for his outdoor sports and shooting radio show visited us. My dad had recently purchased a Silvertone reel to reel tape recorder from Sears Roebuck and asked his friend Jack to say a few things on the recorder. He put on his radio voice and recorded a few comments for posterity and then he asked us kids if we wanted to hear about his Kodiak bear hunt in Alaska. It was quite a tale and I won't attempt to relay it, but the gist was he was using a muzzle loader and had no ball to load as the charging bear was closing the distance. He loaded a frozen bead of sweat from his forehead into his rifle. When he fired the frozen bead bullet melted, but miraculously it froze when it hit the frigid Arctic air. Thinking he was saved he watched it melt once more from the bears heated breath. Fortunately the bear turned his head slightly and the now thawed bead of sweat entered his ear, killing him. Wait for it............he died of water on the brain.

I bet he was also famous for being able to spin a story. Makes for some good fantasy.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mojo84 wrote:

I bet he was also famous for being able to spin a story. Makes for some good fantasy.
Beside being an outdoors man the man was a champion skeet and trap shooter that my dad met while hunting and took a liking to my dad. Jack taught WWII aerial gunner trainees how to lead using shotguns until he lost an eye in a mishap on the training field. He was quite wealthy and his radio program was more of hobby. Very interesting guy and you're right he could spin a yarn.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

sbrawley wrote:
jmra wrote:I think MythBusters did a couple episodes on ice bullets. They considered it Busted both times:
You are correct, they did bust the ice bullet. It melted before leaving the barrel. OTH, I believe they found that a frozen meat bullet was plausible.
Just got finished watching the episode. Yes, i think there is something there, but nothing like your thinking. It would not be make of frozen H2O, but of some liquid with a higher solid state temperature...
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Even if the melting problem wss solved, another problem is that water isn't as heavy as lead, so the bullet won't be nearly as effective.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

treadlightly wrote:I'm tempted to mention pykrete, but as an international man of intrigue and shadow, I do not share tradecraft.

Everyone please look away. No one must see me leave.
And then there's "paper patching bullet".
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

I heard about frozen blood bullets from a Charlie Chan movie: Black Magic aka Meeting at Midnight (1944).

Very entertaining, but it's fiction.
:-) Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

If silver bullets kill werewolves, is it safe to assume a wooden bullet will kill a vampire? :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I'm not going to describe it here but Explosive Ordnance Disposal units use a "disruptor" that uses water. If you accelerate water fast enough it will penetrate metal easily so penetrating human organs would not be a problem.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”