Glock 19 jam issue

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rm9792
Posts in topic: 11

Glock 19 jam issue

Post by rm9792 »

Been carrying this a couple years and has been extremely reliable but all of a sudden it started having issues once or twice per mag. usually it stovepipes sideways with a new round in place and sometimes wont extract the old round. I took it apart and cleaned it in the ultrasonic (complete tear down) which didnt seem to help. Being a 1911 guy i have no idea what the issue is in a glock. I am guessing recoil spring getting weak and/or extractor wore or bad. I have maybe 1000-1500 rds thru it. standard velocity magtech, federal and fiochhi 115g ammo.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Glock 19 jam issue

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Have you tried peanut butter instead of jam? it's the only other way I can think of to cause a Glock to malfunction. :tiphat:

IJK. Seriously though, I'd be curious to know what the problem is. My EDC is a Gen4 19. What generation gun do you have? All of mine are Gen4, including a 43, 26,19, and 17. They've all been spectacularly reliable, but perhaps there's something you're inadvertently doing which I can lean to avoid.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

rm9792 wrote:Been carrying this a couple years and has been extremely reliable but all of a sudden it started having issues once or twice per mag. usually it stovepipes sideways with a new round in place and sometimes wont extract the old round. I took it apart and cleaned it in the ultrasonic (complete tear down) which didnt seem to help. Being a 1911 guy i have no idea what the issue is in a glock. I am guessing recoil spring getting weak and/or extractor wore or bad. I have maybe 1000-1500 rds thru it. standard velocity magtech, federal and fiochhi 115g ammo.
Does it do this with all magazines? I have a G26, G19, and G42. The G42 was the first one I had some issues with out of the box just like your G19. It was a magazine issue. Other than that, as TAM said, my Glocks have been spectacularly reliable.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

rm9792 wrote:Been carrying this a couple years and has been extremely reliable but all of a sudden it started having issues once or twice per mag. usually it stovepipes sideways with a new round in place and sometimes wont extract the old round. I took it apart and cleaned it in the ultrasonic (complete tear down) which didnt seem to help. Being a 1911 guy i have no idea what the issue is in a glock. I am guessing recoil spring getting weak and/or extractor wore or bad. I have maybe 1000-1500 rds thru it. standard velocity magtech, federal and fiochhi 115g ammo.

Assuming that it is now truly clean and well lubed, have you changed anything else?

Were you practicing rapid fire / mag dumps?

Have you dropped it and perhaps bent the slide release? Have you noticed any unusual wear marks / burrs, etc., inside the slide or on the frame?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

This must be fake news since everybody knows Glocks are perfection. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, how does the extractor hook look?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Have you tried peanut butter instead of jam? it's the only other way I can think of to cause a Glock to malfunction. :tiphat:

IJK. Seriously though, I'd be curious to know what the problem is. My EDC is a Gen4 19. What generation gun do you have? All of mine are Gen4, including a 43, 26,19, and 17. They've all been spectacularly reliable, but perhaps there's something you're inadvertently doing which I can lean to avoid.
Gen3. I only carry it as it is light, very reliable and crazy accurate. Reliable gone now...

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

G26ster wrote:
Does it do this with all magazines? I have a G26, G19, and G42. The G42 was the first one I had some issues with out of the box just like your G19. It was a magazine issue. Other than that, as TAM said, my Glocks have been spectacularly reliable.
Yes so far, factory mags and ETS mags.

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Pawpaw wrote:This must be fake news since everybody knows Glocks are perfection. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, how does the extractor hook look?
I can tear a glock apart, change parts, etc but I am not sure how the extractor should look. I can take it out and post a pic.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

The only real difference between your 1911s and Glock in what you described is that limp-wristing is marginally more possible on a 1911. But I think you can strike that off as a possible cause.

And since you've been using a variety of different, standard-power, factory ammo, I'd say that gets dropped off the list, as well.

The next least-likely cause is probably kick-back or spin-back, where the ejecting case bumps into something on its way out and gets blocked back in as the new round chambers. The reason every modern 1911 has a flared ejection port. But unless something has really gone wonky with the slide on the Glock--something that would readily visible--I doubt that's it either.

If I were to take stab at diagnosis, I'd say one of two things: the extractor itself or the extractor spring and/or depressor. My money would be on the spring and/or depressor.

Almost certainly isn't the recoil spring. If the recoil spring is at fault, stovepipes usually occur if the spring is too heavy, causing the action to cycle too fast. A spring with 1K to 1.5K rounds through it almost certainly won't be at fault. I'd also think the magazines aren't the culprit, either. Stovepipes happen on the back-end of the cycle; in other words, the new round is coming into the chamber okay, but the old one ain't gettin' out in time.

If the extractor itself is damaged, you should be able to see that pretty easily, also. If you haven't damaged it with a tool or with a bunch a of really tough steel-cased ammo, that wouldn't be my next guess.

Since you said you're also sometimes getting a failure to extract, I'd say the easiest thing to try would be replacing the extractor depressor and spring. You can get the unit as a whole for around $13 or $14, so I personally wouldn't bother with just the spring. You can get the little bearing piece that holds them together for about $2, if you want. At around 15 bucks it's cheap to try and, if it doesn't solve it, you now have a spare. :mrgreen:

As always, my opinion is worth every single penny you paid for it.

Edited to add: Found a photo of a new Lone Wolf G26 (but should very nearly identical to the G19) extractor (on the left in the pic) and a used but still serviceable stock extractor. Too large to post inline, so here's the link: http://www.tannersgun.com/images-glock2 ... son-11.JPG.

Also, a stock extractor looks like it's about $18, if you want to try the whole assembly at once. I didn't check pricing for the Lone Wolf or others.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:

Assuming that it is now truly clean and well lubed, have you changed anything else?

Were you practicing rapid fire / mag dumps?

Have you dropped it and perhaps bent the slide release? Have you noticed any unusual wear marks / burrs, etc., inside the slide or on the frame?
No changes, regular practice (I practice at 15yds so no rapid fire) nothing unusual, never dropped.

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Skiprr wrote:
The only real difference between your 1911s and Glock in what you described is that limp-wristing is marginally more possible on a 1911. But I think you can strike that off as a possible cause.

And since you've been using a variety of different, standard-power, factory ammo, I'd say that gets dropped off the list, as well.

The next least-likely cause is probably kick-back or spin-back, where the ejecting case bumps into something on its way out and gets blocked back in as the new round chambers. The reason every modern 1911 has a flared ejection port. But unless something has really gone wonky with the slide on the Glock--something that would readily visible--I doubt that's it either.

If I were to take stab at diagnosis, I'd say one of two things: the extractor itself or the extractor spring and/or depressor. My money would be on the spring and/or depressor.

Almost certainly isn't the recoil spring. If the recoil spring is at fault, stovepipes usually occur if the spring is too heavy, causing the action to cycle too fast. A spring with 1K to 1.5K rounds through it almost certainly won't be at fault. I'd also think the magazines aren't the culprit, either. Stovepipes happen on the back-end of the cycle; in other words, the new round is coming into the chamber okay, but the old one ain't gettin' out in time.

If the extractor itself is damaged, you should be able to see that pretty easily, also. If you haven't damaged it with a tool or with a bunch a of really tough steel-cased ammo, that wouldn't be my next guess.

Since you said you're also sometimes getting a failure to extract, I'd say the easiest thing to try would be replacing the extractor depressor and spring. You can get the unit as a whole for around $13 or $14, so I personally wouldn't bother with just the spring. You can get the little bearing piece that holds them together for about $2, if you want. At around 15 bucks it's cheap to try and, if it doesn't solve it, you now have a spare. :mrgreen:

As always, my opinion is worth every single penny you paid for it.
I have a g17 that is running like a clock so I will swap the extractor and spring assembly in. Thanks. I am good...I broke a Glock!

The Annoyed Man

rm9792 wrote:I am good...I broke a Glock!
You will either go down as a gross fraud, or one of the mightiest men in history! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

bobby

Post by bobby »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
rm9792 wrote:I am good...I broke a Glock!
You will either go down as a gross fraud, or one of the mightiest men in history! :lol:

Bawahhahahahahhaha :rolll
:txflag:

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Thanks for the help, I ordered a new extractor, lone wolf extractor spring and gen 4 ejector.

The Annoyed Man

rm9792 wrote:Thanks for the help, I ordered a new extractor, lone wolf extractor spring and gen 4 ejector.
I don't want to "take advantage of your misery" so to speak, but I will be very curious to know if these parts fix your problem. I hope it never happens to me, but it will be nice to know if it is easily (and cheaply) fixed.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”