Moderator: carlson1

QB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What oil/lube do you use

Post by QB »

Gun Butter
Weapon Shield
Eezox
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RossA wrote:You should see my gun cleaning kit. I have who knows how many different cleaners, solvents, oils, greases, etc., probably like some of you. The truth is, I have never had any gun problems that I could trace to failure of a cleaner or lube.
:iagree:

When we remodeled our kitchen I had them hang the old cabinets on a wall in the garage. I have one cabinet full of nothing but various solvents, grease, and lubricants. Like you I have never had any issues related to any solvent.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I'm about out of my supply of Frog Lube and considering what to do next.

I've never had any issues with it, but am open to change. That's how I ended up with Frog Lube in the first place.

This thread is a couple years old, so I'm wondering what seems to be the lubricant de jour? Any recommendations?

I've also been using M-Pro 7 for a cleaner and will likely order more of it with whatever lubricant I decide on.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Started using Ballistol thanks to Hickok45, keep using it because it works.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

I recently switched from Hoppe's #9 to Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It stays in place better than Hoppes, does not spread to the outside of the pistol during firing, and I like the needle applicator.
https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door- ... ty-gun-oil

I'm also checking out their grease. I've never use grease on my firearms before, and wanted to give it a try. Jury is still out, although I've had no negatives.
https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door- ... gun-grease

More info.
https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-oil/
https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/ ... ts-016648/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am I recently switched from Hoppe's #9 to Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It stays in place better than Hoppes, does not spread to the outside of the pistol during firing, and I like the needle applicator.
https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door- ... ty-gun-oil

I'm also checking out their grease. I've never use grease on my firearms before, and wanted to give it a try. Jury is still out, although I've had no negatives.
https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door- ... gun-grease

More info.
https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-oil/
https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/ ... ts-016648/
I have been using grease for a couple years now. It seems to collect less grime and dust. It is also good about staying where you put it. Oil always seems to migrate but using a very small amount seems to lesson this to some extent.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

AndyC wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am Grease is useful because it stays in place; it doesn't cook-off as quickly as oil, so it's good for hard-running guns that will see a lot of heat (machine-guns, carbine classes, etc).

Downside is that it can firm up in cold weather, so use when appropriate.
Cold weather in Texas! I almost laughed out loud, then I remember Andy lives in north Texas and, occasionally, sees that white stuff in winter. And then there is Lubbock and the panhandle. I'm spoiled by central Texas. :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

C-dub wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am I'm about out of my supply of Frog Lube and considering what to do next.

I've never had any issues with it, but am open to change. That's how I ended up with Frog Lube in the first place.

This thread is a couple years old, so I'm wondering what seems to be the lubricant de jour? Any recommendations?

I've also been using M-Pro 7 for a cleaner and will likely order more of it with whatever lubricant I decide on.
If you really want to stock up. I started using Breakthrough Clean products. For July 4th they run a BOGO on their products. I bought a gallon each of cleaner and lube, so two gallons each in total. I imagine I'll be stocked up for awhile.
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Since I’ve been using the M-Pro 7 cleaner I’m thinking about trying out their LPX lube. Any issues with that stuff?

I have some grease, the kind recommended for Garands. I hadn’t considered using it on any others. I do t remember the brand. I’ll check when I get off work later.

I’ll try and read up on any differences between WeaponShield stuff and the M-Pro 7 stuff. I’m planning on ordering in about a week.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I'll use pretty much any oil or grease. However, for corrosion, I haven't found an alternative to corrosion resistant materials apart from constant maintenance.

dlh

Post by dlh »

This is always a fun topic.

These days I use Hoppe's No. 9 solvent or Hoppe's Elite as cleaners and Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil as a lubricant/protectant.
I really like the Lucas product--has a consistency somewhere between oil and grease--good stuff!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”