What oil/lube do you use

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

What oil/lube do you use

Post by cmgee67 »

What oil and or lube or grease do you use on your gear (guns knives etc.) ? I use Breakfree clp to clean my guns then lube with Lucas Oil extreme duty gun oil. On my knives I use Froglube Clp paste because I do use my knives for food prep and it's food safe and minty haha

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What oil/lube do you use

Post by maverick2076 »

Slip2000 EWL. I tried FrogLube for a while, but I found that lint sticks to it. Plus, it creeps my wife out that it smells like toothpaste.

Nano

Post by Nano »

I have been using FrogLube CLP exclusively on my guns for 2 years. I really like it. :thumbs2:
NRA Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Nano wrote:I have been using FrogLube CLP exclusively on my guns for 2 years. I really like it. :thumbs2:
Same here. Plus my guns smell minty fresh!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner and Hoppes' 9 lubricant. When my current supply runs out, I may try something else or I may not. I used to use only Quaker State motor oil in my motorcycles. Now, for my cars, I use whatever brand meets the manufacturer's requirements. I have no brand loyalty.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I use some white grease TW25 to lube the sliding parts smear it on real thin along sliding parts. I got a free tube at the NRA convention in Houston. It will probably last me a lifetime. I use Hoppes oil to reach the places I can't get at with the grease. I don't really believe any oil or grease is much different. My guns don't rust nor show any signs of wear. I also wipe down my guns after cleaning them with a silicone rag. I don't know if it helps at all, but it doesn't hurt.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Mobil1 (good for race guns as well as race cars) :thumbs2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

The froglube paste does attract lint quite a bit but it lasts forever on my knives even when nasty and dirty they are still slick as all get out. I tried it in in my guns for a little bit at one time but did not like it on them. That's when I went to break free clp to clean and lucus oil extreme duty to lube the guns

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Thinking about trying some "Liberal Tears":

http://liberaltears.net/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

I use Ballistol as a solvent and Mobil1 as a lubricant. Works great for me.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Everyone will chime in but really, which ones don't work? How exactly is failure defined? Presently using Ballistol because Hickock45 uses it but I really don't know if one lube is better than another. All my guns work and none are rusting.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

rotor wrote:Everyone will chime in but really, which ones don't work? How exactly is failure defined? Presently using Ballistol because Hickock45 uses it but I really don't know if one lube is better than another. All my guns work and none are rusting.
I think you defined "failure" as "all my guns work and none are rusting." Works for me.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

You should see my gun cleaning kit. I have who knows how many different cleaners, solvents, oils, greases, etc., probably like some of you. The truth is, I have never had any gun problems that I could trace to failure of a cleaner or lube.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Fireclean" for all my guns.

And about a jillion other kinds depending on what it's for as in bicycle chain lube, or a squeaky gate, or the various moving parts on my overhead garage door.

It could be old fashioned 3 in 1 oil if something is finely geared or a thin type of synthetic for fishing reels.

The list of lubes from oil to grease fills up about a third of a wall in my garage.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”