Glock 42 issue

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Glock 42 issue

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have a Glock 42 that I bought new a couple months ago. It's actually my 11th Glock firearm, and the second Glock 42 that I have owned (long story - ended up selling the first one and regretting it). I have never had any issues with any of my Glocks other than one issue caused by an aftermarket mod. But this Glock 42 is stock.

Anyway, the gun is failing to lock back on an empty mag. It was happening every other mag with a total of 4 Glock mags (including the two that came with this gun). My last range session, I ended by loading 1 round into each of the 4 mags, and sure enough, the gun failed to lock back on all 4. The only other issue was 1 failure to fire (out of 300 rounds) which could have just been a bad primer.

So I called Glock (for the first time ever) and explained the situation. The guy sounded a bit perturbed, and was walking down the path of possible user error, until I mentioned the number of Glock firearms I had previously owned, that this gun is completely stock, etc. He told me to send it in, at my expense. But relented after I balked at paying $50+ to overnight a $400 gun that is supposed to be extremely reliable. Ultimately, he did e-mail me a shipping label, so this gun will be headed back to it's birthplace in the next day or two. I will give y'all an update once I get it back.

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Glock 42 issue

Post by rentz »

I had the exact issue with the 42 I had, thought maybe I was just using too high of a grip but turns out a lot had the same issue with the early runs thought it would be solved by now.

I ended up selling mine off, was up front I had some failure to lock back problems buyer was fine with it though

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rentz wrote:I had the exact issue with the 42 I had, thought maybe I was just using too high of a grip but turns out a lot had the same issue with the early runs thought it would be solved by now.

I ended up selling mine off, was up front I had some failure to lock back problems buyer was fine with it though
It's really odd. The first one I bought a year ago, and it was fine. Maybe this one was just sitting in the warehouse for a long time. I will check the mfg date. Anyway, it's good to know it isn't just me.

On the one hand, it is a very frustrating type of failure, because my normal clearance procedure of slap, rack, bang, would not be very efficient in clearing this issue. It would be a "click" followed by slap, rack, "oh the mag is empty" let me reload....

On the other hand, this is strictly a BUG / pocket carry for me, and I likely won't even be carrying extra mags, so this particular failure is not all that likely to make a huge difference. If it gets to the point that I have emptied my primary carry, and shot 7 rounds from this BUG, and I still have active threats, then I just need to get the heck out of there.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rentz wrote:I had the exact issue with the 42 I had, thought maybe I was just using too high of a grip but turns out a lot had the same issue with the early runs thought it would be solved by now.

It's really odd. The first one I bought a year ago, and it was fine. Maybe this one was just sitting in the warehouse for a long time. I will check the mfg date. Anyway, it's good to know it isn't just me.

On the one hand, it is a very frustrating type of failure, because my normal clearance procedure of slap, rack, bang, would not be very efficient in clearing this issue. It would be a "click" followed by slap, rack, "oh the mag is empty" let me reload....

On the other hand, this is strictly a BUG / pocket carry for me, and I likely won't even be carrying extra mags, so this particular failure is not all that likely to make a huge difference. If it gets to the point that I have emptied my primary carry, and shot 7 rounds from this BUG, and I still have active threats, then I just need to get the heck out of there.
Failure to lock on last round isn't nearly as bad as jamming, it's just frustrating on a new firearm especially one touted for being so reliable

I'm sure they can fix it for you

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have a Glock 42 that I bought new a couple months ago. It's actually my 11th Glock firearm, and the second Glock 42 that I have owned (long story - ended up selling the first one and regretting it). I have never had any issues with any of my Glocks other than one issue caused by an aftermarket mod. But this Glock 42 is stock.

Anyway, the gun is failing to lock back on an empty mag. It was happening every other mag with a total of 4 Glock mags (including the two that came with this gun). My last range session, I ended by loading 1 round into each of the 4 mags, and sure enough, the gun failed to lock back on all 4. The only other issue was 1 failure to fire (out of 300 rounds) which could have just been a bad primer.

So I called Glock (for the first time ever) and explained the situation. The guy sounded a bit perturbed, and was walking down the path of possible user error, until I mentioned the number of Glock firearms I had previously owned, that this gun is completely stock, etc. He told me to send it in, at my expense. But relented after I balked at paying $50+ to overnight a $400 gun that is supposed to be extremely reliable. Ultimately, he did e-mail me a shipping label, so this gun will be headed back to it's birthplace in the next day or two. I will give y'all an update once I get it back.
I had a similar problem on my G17 (Gen3). Turned out that it was a not so obvious slight over bend in the bent metal slide release that was rubbing on the pistol frame. Just give that piece the ol' eyeball just in case...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
If it gets to the point that I have emptied my primary carry, and shot 7 rounds from this BUG, and I still have active threats, then I just need to get the heck out of there.
Might I suggest you leave once you empty the primary if you can. You might want those 7 rounds at a later time. :thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'll bet it turns out to be the ammunition. I own several Glocks and like them, including a G43. But I deliberately avoided buying a G42, as I have yet to own/shoot any .380 that was 100% reliable.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lowdogtx

Post by lowdogtx »

And It still shoots sooo good
Many thanks

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'll bet it turns out to be the ammunition. I own several Glocks and like them, including a G43. But I deliberately avoided buying a G42, as I have yet to own/shoot any .380 that was 100% reliable.
My Kel-Tec P3AT has been 100% reliable since I bought it 5+ years ago. It is just a pain (literally) to shoot.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I'll bet it turns out to be the ammunition. I own several Glocks and like them, including a G43. But I deliberately avoided buying a G42, as I have yet to own/shoot any .380 that was 100% reliable.
My Kel-Tec P3AT has been 100% reliable since I bought it 5+ years ago. It is just a pain (literally) to shoot.
I had one of those for a while, and I found it to be fairly ammo-sensitive AND a pain to shoot.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I had one of those for a while, and I found it to be fairly ammo-sensitive AND a pain to shoot.
I may have just gotten lucky. My experience with Kel-Tec's has been pretty hit and miss. And given how unpleasant it is to shoot, I likely only have shot approx. 200-300 rounds in those 5 years.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Not to totally hijack but KelTec's can be great little guns. My opinion is that they all need a fluff & buff and a proper clean & lube before the first round goes down range.

I've had 4 of them. (2-380's and 2- 9mm's) The first one needed a "fluff & Buff to run 100%. (and did so, after the F&B) The other 3 got a fluff & buff before they went to the range... those 3 have all run perfect from the start.

The PF 9 isn't bad to shoot and is 380 sized compared to some other brands...

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I had your same prob with a g43 I had but It was user error my part. I was riding the slide stop

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”