Mental Tips for Stiff Trigger?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 5

Mental Tips for Stiff Trigger?

Post by Lynyrd »

I'd like to throw this out there to all who shoot well using a gun with a stiff trigger. Of the handguns I own, my accuracy with them can easily be divided into two groups, SA light triggers being the best and DA stiff triggers being the worst. Of the DA group, the ones with the stiffest trigger pull are my least accurate guns. Now I understand this is normal, and I have read all the advice I can find on improving my accuracy with long stiff triggers.

For purposes of the discussion, lets take out DA only revolvers, and just focus on striker fired pistols. Of course the slower I shoot the better I am. But I prefer to practice putting rounds down range fairly quickly. The stiff triggers tend to make me pull down, and a bit to the left. I think that is also a normal problem.

Last weekend I ran 100 rounds through a 1911 .45, and 100 rounds through my new M&P Shield .45. Both guns were shot from 15 yards, with primarily 3 quick succession rounds at a time. I was grouping the 1911 at 2 to 3 inches, but the Shield was much worse at about 6 to 7 inches. If I slowed down with the Shield it got better, but still nothing I was happy with. Granted, the Shield is new to me, and I have only put 150 or so rounds through it. I don't believe there is any problem with the gun. I know it is me. I also know I'm not going to improve if I keep doing the same thing I am doing now.

I'm sure there are people here who are good with stiff triggers. For those who are, do you have any mental tips to keep in the front of your mind when shooting a stiff trigger?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mental Tips for Stiff Trigger?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm not an expert on stiff triggers, but I am curious about your comparison between the Shield and the 1911. What was the barrel length on the 1911? 15 yards is a bit far for accurate shots with any 3 inch barrel gun, including the Shield, but it is well within the effective range for a full size 1911 with a 5 inch barrel.

Now if it was an Officer's model 1911, then yes the difference is probably more related to just the trigger.

flechero

Post by flechero »

You may know all of this already but sometimes we overlook the obvious...

One of the keys to a heavy trigger is the ability to isolate the pull with the finger vs squeezing your whole hand. Sounds easy but when you are squeezing the grip firmly with the whole hand, it's more difficult to isolate/separate the trigger finger's movement. Some of it is strength and some of it coordination. But increased strength helps both.

I can't take credit for the following- but a couple things shared with me, that helped me improve:

exaggerate and use the death grip on the gun in practice and then concentrate on a smooth trigger finger only movement. Not only will it help your trigger control, as you build more strength from this, it will help you stabilize for the shot and help you control recoil better. (which sets up the next shot better) They also said those grip strength thingies are helpful.

Learn a proper support hand technique- this will help stabilize the gun and counter your trigger pulling movement. (and helps dramatically for recoil mgmt)

Dry fire often & with the heaviest trigger you have. (using the death grip on the gun- watch for movement in your sights)

Use that heavy DA revolver on the range sometimes... get proficient with that trigger and the rest feel short and light.

I noticed when I started getting stronger that I could apply more pressure to the gun and still do so in a semi relaxed state... so I was steadier and also had better trigger & recoil control.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I'm not an expert on stiff triggers, but I am curious about your comparison between the Shield and the 1911. What was the barrel length on the 1911? 15 yards is a bit far for accurate shots with any 3 inch barrel gun, including the Shield, but it is well within the effective range for a full size 1911 with a 5 inch barrel.

Now if it was an Officer's model 1911, then yes the difference is probably more related to just the trigger.
Good points.

Lots of variables in guns... sights, sight radius, trigger grip fit, trigger length, etc.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Andy Stanford's book "Surgical Speed Shooting" gave me a lot of help and insight into the trigger manipulation process in genereal, making me both faster and more accurate. Its got some great tips that may help you.

Diesel42
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Diesel42 »

FWIW...
I have an old, S&W Model 10 revolver. The DA is very stiff. I practice trigger control at home which helps me with all of my pistols.
I took a small laser pointer and taped it to the barrel. Then filled the cylinder with snap caps to protect the firing pin.

I just pick a target across the room and fire the pistol DA, working to keep the laser dot on point without moving. After I succeed in keeping the laser on point, I go to the range and practice with live fire.

Hope that helps,
Happy Trails!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

flechero wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I'm not an expert on stiff triggers, but I am curious about your comparison between the Shield and the 1911. What was the barrel length on the 1911? 15 yards is a bit far for accurate shots with any 3 inch barrel gun, including the Shield, but it is well within the effective range for a full size 1911 with a 5 inch barrel.

Good points.

Lots of variables in guns... sights, sight radius, trigger grip fit, trigger length, etc.
The 1911 was a Colt Commander. The site radius on the two guns is about the same.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

maverick2076 wrote:Andy Stanford's book "Surgical Speed Shooting" gave me a lot of help and insight into the trigger manipulation process in genereal, making me both faster and more accurate. Its got some great tips that may help you.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered this book.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Diesel42 wrote:FWIW...
I have an old, S&W Model 10 revolver. The DA is very stiff. I practice trigger control at home which helps me with all of my pistols.
I took a small laser pointer and taped it to the barrel. Then filled the cylinder with snap caps to protect the firing pin.

I just pick a target across the room and fire the pistol DA, working to keep the laser dot on point without moving. After I succeed in keeping the laser on point, I go to the range and practice with live fire.

Hope that helps,
Happy Trails!
Nick
Snap caps and a laser pointer! :thumbs2: :thumbs2: Gotta put those on my shopping list.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Lynyrd wrote:
maverick2076 wrote:Andy Stanford's book "Surgical Speed Shooting" gave me a lot of help and insight into the trigger manipulation process in genereal, making me both faster and more accurate. Its got some great tips that may help you.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered this book.
It and Combat Focus Shooting by Rob Pincus are two of my favorite books on shooting.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I found that when I started to grip the front of the trigger guard with my off hand it really stabilized and locked the gun into my hands. I know many feel that this technique is passé, but if your pistol affords such a grip you may way to try it.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I practice with dry firing with a penny on the barrel trying to pull the trigger with a steady motion.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I have never shot Smith and Wesson striker guns well. The trigger with the center hinge always caused me to shoot poorly, if I were to buy one I'd probably change the trigger for a glock/xd style with a safety bar instead of the hinge.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

striker55 wrote:I practice with dry firing with a penny on the barrel trying to pull the trigger with a steady motion.
When I was in basic training, circa 1987, we used a "dime washer" drill. The DS placed a washer and a dime on the end of the rifle barrel and we needed to pull the trigger without it falling off before we were allowed to live fire. This was with a Mil Spec AR trigger.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”