Hog hunting from balloons

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Hog hunting from balloons

Post by ELB »

I just read a tweet that a bill legalizing hunting feral hogs from hot air balloons is on its way to Governor's desk. Had no idea this was in the hopper.
Last edited by ELB on Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Hog hunting from balloons

Post by Keith B »

Yep. Guess I need to start a new business. :mrgreen:

However, before I let ANYBODY hunt from my balloon, I would require some background info and make them go through a safety course with me. Will be a VERY expensive proposition for someone.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

Keith B wrote:Yep. Guess I need to start a new business. :mrgreen:

However, before I let ANYBODY hunt from my balloon, I would require some background info and make them go through a safety course with me. Will be a VERY expensive proposition for someone.
What is the minimum Altitude you can fly and maintain flight in a ballon ( and a helicopter) above private land?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

What is the minimum Altitude you can fly and maintain flight in a ballon ( and a helicopter) above private land?

I thought 500 AGL was a rule of thumb over sparsely inhabited areas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WTR wrote:
Keith B wrote:Yep. Guess I need to start a new business. :mrgreen:

What is the minimum Altitude you can fly and maintain flight in a ballon ( and a helicopter) above private land?[/quot

Legally it is the same as fixed wing; 1000 foot over congested, and 500 over sparsely populated. However, over areas where hogs would be hunted, the FAA never cares due to it being unpopulated.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And a helicopter is different rules. Their altitude minimums are listed as 'safe and reasonable'
Keith

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Do you have to kill the sow to get a 'fetal' hog? :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

ScottDLS wrote:Do you have to kill the sow to get a 'fetal' hog? :smilelol5:
I knew of Government hunters who hunted coyotes out of a helo up by San Angelo. They would slit open preg. females and count the unborn pups as kills..... They were paid by the head.

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Whoops! Ok ok, I was typing on my phone, which is always a hit-or-miss proposition.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ELB wrote:
Whoops! Ok ok, I was typing on my phone, which is always a hit-or-miss proposition.
I was thinking it might be autocorrect. There are some really funny ones out there... :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My Sister and BIL bought land up by Salado. There is a helicopter hog service close by. The last time they were at their property they found 15 carcasses . They don't mind the killing of hogs while the land is not stocked with cattle. However, no permission has been asked or granted and hogs are left to rot.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Wonder if they are talking about tethered balloons. Can't imagine doing this with free floating balloons. I don't think it is legal to shoot any animals while flying over private land without the landowners permission. What we need is discount night vision equipment or thermal equipment. Really big discount needed.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

Ok is it currently illegal to hunt from a ballon?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

suthdj wrote:Ok is it currently illegal to hunt from a ballon?
Yes. Not an FAA thing, but a Texas Parks and Wildlife restriction on hunting from aircraft unless authorized by the department.
Keith

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

I guess this is just something I never considered to be an issue. I guess it could be fun to hunt from a balloon, but retrieving any game would be a little inconvenient, I would think. Oh well, probably not something I will be rushing out to do anyway. But to each their own. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”