IMI Ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 2

IMI Ammo

Post by Pete92FS »

Anyone have any experiences / opinions on IMI (Israeli) ammo for use in AR's? Midway USA seems to have some good prices and most of the reviews are good but there are also some reviews claiming what is shipped to the States are "seconds" resulting in misfires, failure to fire, inconsistent trajectories, etc. due to improper powder loading. Your thoughts please. Thanks.
CHL since 01/26/09

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IMI Ammo

Post by parabelum »

I have run hundreds of IMI 5.56 through my factory LMT AR, ammo I ordered through midway, and I've never had a bad experience with that ammo.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have shot only a little of the 5.56 ammo. I have shot a bunch of the 9mm and it did fine.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have used their 77 grain ammo (their version of the US 262 mod 1) in one of my ARs and it is both extremely accurate and reliable (no failures to function). I tested that ammo against the Blackhills ammo and the IMI was more accurate. I ran the IMI ammo at a two day class, shooting out to 600 yards, and it did an outstanding job. I have not had a chance to try their 55 grain ammo yet.

I bought the ammo I have from SGAmmo. At the time, their price was much better than Midway. I have not compared lately.

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
DPMS don't recommend and voids warranty if some specific ammo (besides reloads) are used:Israeli, Portuguese, Korean.
See athttp://www.dpmsinc.com/Ammunitions-Warning_ep_59-1.html
:patriot:
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pretty much all I run is IMI. Flawless. It has to be...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Right, like an AR mfg. can dictate the ammo one can shoot.

Give me a break.

If, DPMS does try, it wouldn't matter to me anyway as I wouldn't buy one of their questionable quality firearms...

DPMS - Right up there with Hi-Point...ok, not that questionable, but far, far from great quality.

Sir, if you buy our automobile, you can only use xyz gasoline or we void the warranty.

Do tell?

No problem.

I won't buy your brand of automobile.

I'll buy one that doesn't attempt to dictate if I can use Exxon, Chevron or fill in the blank gasoline.

What gall...

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

rmoraes wrote:B"H
DPMS don't recommend and voids warranty if some specific ammo (besides reloads) are used:Israeli, Portuguese, Korean.
Sounds like the problem is with DPMS, not the ammo.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
DPMS on their barrels:
Barrel Information
To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to the 100 rounds. It usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for optimum accuracy.
DPMS - because every AR15 manufacturer says you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds. :banghead:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

bblhd672 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
DPMS on their barrels:
Barrel Information
To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to the 100 rounds. It usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for optimum accuracy.
DPMS - because every AR15 manufacturer says you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds. :banghead:
I don't own any DPMS. But I have put 10's of thousands of rounds of IMI through every AR that I own and hardly ever clean them until somewhere between 500 and one thousand rounds, with zero difficulties.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
DPMS on their barrels:
Barrel Information
I don't own any DPMS. But I have put 10's of thousands of rounds of IMI through every AR that I own and hardly ever clean them until somewhere between 500 and one thousand rounds, with zero difficulties.
Man, I am glad that I don't own any DPMS products. The company sure doesn't think they are very reliable. I'm sure they work just fine if you clean them 31 times during the first 100 rounds fired, limit yourself to only very specific ammo, and store the gun in a hyperbolic chamber (OK I added that last part).

Personally I prefer to own guns. You know, those things that don't need to be babied in order to work properly.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:I don't own any DPMS. But I have put 10's of thousands of rounds of IMI through every AR that I own and hardly ever clean them until somewhere between 500 and one thousand rounds, with zero difficulties.
Where do you buy your IMI ammo?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pete92FS »

Thanks for all your helpful answers; my AR is a Smith & Wesson M&P 15; not DPMS so I should be good to go. :fire

What type do most of you use for HD vs. plinking?
CHL since 01/26/09

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

bblhd672 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:I don't own any DPMS. But I have put 10's of thousands of rounds of IMI through every AR that I own and hardly ever clean them until somewhere between 500 and one thousand rounds, with zero difficulties.
Where do you buy your IMI ammo?
I always check www.ammoseek.com for the best price, so it can vary.. SGA is often the best deal, but sometimes Ammo Depot, Ammo Liquidators, Outdoor Limited, Bulk Ammunition, etc., etc.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Pete92FS wrote:Thanks for all your helpful answers; my AR is a Smith & Wesson M&P 15; not DPMS so I should be good to go. :fire

What type do most of you use for HD vs. plinking?
http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/01/12 ... duty-ammo/

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”