Near Miss on Darwin Award

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Near Miss on Darwin Award

Post by Excaliber »

In what appears to be a "hold my beer and watch this" moment, a man packed an old refrigerator with tannerite, closed the door, and shot it from about 50 yards with an AR. Had he been standing about 18 inches to the left of where he was, he would have won the Darwin award hands down. The video is a must see.

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Near Miss on Darwin Award

Post by dws1117 »

Brilliant and lucky individual.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Standing behind a tree, he was SLIGHTLY smarter than the guy who shot the riding mower.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

And this is why we can't have nice things... Waiting for Tannerite to be added to the ban list for stupid stunts just like this.

And I don't know why but comments like this drive me nuts:
The man is shown aiming what appears to be an M-16 at the refrigerator, which is positioned at least 50 yards away.
Oh well... at least they didn't describe it as an AK-47, they are at least a little bit more in the ballpark than normal.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Flightmare wrote:Standing behind a tree, he was SLIGHTLY smarter than the guy who shot the riding mower.
I guess he knows the difference between concealment and cover...

Missed it by that much! - Maxwell Smart
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Flightmare wrote:Standing behind a tree, he was SLIGHTLY smarter than the guy who shot the riding mower.
In light of what he did, I'm hesitant to give him credit for smarts.

I suspect he was using the tree as a rest to help him hit the refrigerator instead of as cover. :lol:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Excaliber wrote:
In light of what he did, I'm hesitant to give him credit for smarts.

I suspect he was using the tree as a rest to help him hit the refrigerator instead of as cover. :lol:
As I said, only SLIGHTLY smarter. I suppose it's like saying that he's the tallest dwarf in the room. When it came to the guy with the riding mower, the bar was set pretty low anyways.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ELB

Post by ELB »

Excaliber wrote:
There's a longer version of this on YouTube. yes the tree was just a shooting rest. Took several shots to wake up the refrigerator. Warning on the YouTube vid, there's profanity, especially after the door sails by...

Anyone have a ballistics table for a refrigerator door?
USAF 1982-2005

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

It's just a matter of time before someone is killed with binary explosives. Even FPSRussia almost killed him self with binary explosives. I think the main problem is that people see too much on TV and think it's reality when it's farther from reality than anyone realizes. It boils down to not doing something that you know nothing about, explosives are unforgiving.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

mrvmax wrote:explosives are unforgiving.
If at first you don't succeed... then demolitions is not the job for you!

I so wanted to get into the controlled demolitions job as a youngster. Never found a way to make it happen.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

mrvmax wrote: Even FPSRussia almost killed him self with binary explosives.
I thought all those FPSRussia close call videos had been proven to be green screen? To that end I'm not 100% certain this isn't CGI to an extent. The door hits the ground but doesn't seem to alter course at all as a result.

BTW - Had deja vu as I had another tab opened to the stuck oil filter thread over on SF while reading your post. :leaving
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

SigM4 wrote:
mrvmax wrote: Even FPSRussia almost killed him self with binary explosives.
I thought all those FPSRussia close call videos had been proven to be green screen? To that end I'm not 100% certain this isn't CGI to an extent. The door hits the ground but doesn't seem to alter course at all as a result.

BTW - Had deja vu as I had another tab opened to the stuck oil filter thread over on SF while reading your post. :leaving
I never heard about them being green screen but I haven't followed him for some time now. Yep,had to post over there about the stuck oil filter, sometimes i cannot refrain myself even though I know I should.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Syntyr wrote:
mrvmax wrote:explosives are unforgiving.
If at first you don't succeed... then demolitions is not the job for you!

I so wanted to get into the controlled demolitions job as a youngster. Never found a way to make it happen.
I didn't get to do much controlled demolition but did get to play with lots of explosives in the military. We would get 100's of yards away from explosions and occasionally we would still have frag whizzing by us. There's nothing scarier than hearing the baseplate of a MK series bond moving toward you at high speed.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”