Revolver questions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 5

Revolver questions

Post by cmgee67 »

Lookin to add a revolver to the collection soon. I like the cowboy style revolvers. I really like the Ruger vaquero and single six's. I would like one in 357 so when my wife shoots its she can shoot 38 spcl. Any other guns I should be lookin at? This will be one of those "fun guns" and a good pass down one of these days. I'll carry it every now and then on the ranch or hunting just for the pleasure. Maybe even OC it one day. I don't care if it's single action or double action both are fine with me

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Revolver questions

Post by parabelum »

I really like s&w 686 plus below, 7 shot 357/38, price is the only thing...

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-686-plus-2

ETA

I noticed you are looking for cowboy style so this may not be your choice. I'd say Vaquero then.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:iagree:

The Ruger will probably be your best choice. There are several replica revolvers made by Cimmaron, Chiappa, etc, but I don't know anything about their quality, or customer service. Your other option is to order a Colt Peacemaker, but you will pay a lot more. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Or Colt SAA :drool:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

parabelum wrote:Or Colt SAA :drool:

Yeah that's what I meant, I too got excited just thinking about it, case hardened frame, Colt pony on the grips......... :drool: :drool:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
cmgee67

Re: Revolver question

Post by cmgee67 »

I won't even look up the colt ! I know what will happen. The vaquero with the pearl white grips is calling me I think!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'd really like a Colt SAA, but a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk would be a lot more affordable and easier to find. Plus, c'mon......its a Ruger. It'll be practically indestructible.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'd really like a Colt SAA, but a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk would be a lot more affordable and easier to find. Plus, c'mon......its a Ruger. It'll be practically indestructible.
:iagree: Buy a Ruger, take the money you didn't spend on a Colt SAA, buy some more Rugers and never look back, then buy some more Rugers with the rest of the money. Used Single Sixes are reasonably priced.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

patterson

Post by patterson »

I had somewhat the same idea I wanted a revolver for my wife so she could shoot at the range with me. I got a Ruger SP101 .357 so she can shoot .38 specials and I could shoot .357 magnum loads and we both enjoy shooting it

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Ruger it is!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If a Ruger .357 Magnum Blackhawk can be found that it's owner is willing to part with you won't be disappointed. I shoot .38's in mine and can't remember the last time it fired a .357mag round. It shoots very well and is easy to wield.

I have one from my dad and another 3-screw in .22 from my father-in-law. Both are beautiful and in like new condition and very accurate. Both men were the original owners. Unfortunately for you, I plan on giving them both to my daughter and or her future husband.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Personally, I'm very fond of the S&W 686, 610, and 625. In the single action arena, I'd suggest you take a good look at the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk (I'd go with the 6" 45LC in stainless, but that's just me....).
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

If you are buying a new ruger single action consider the convertible models. My Vaquero in .45 can eat .45 auto and .45 Colt with only a cylinder change. My friend Bobby Tyler recently did a 200 gun run where he color cased some .357 Vaquero convertibles. Those beauties have a cylinder for .357/.38 and another for 9x19 (I would point you in the direction to one of those but as far as I know they are all sold).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

ckelly9460

Post by ckelly9460 »

Have you looked into the beretta stampede?
Brave Rifles

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk not long ago and it came with cylinders for 357/38 and 9mm. It's a lot of fun to shoot.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”